Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Really need help with destructive 8 month old!!!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Negasius, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Negasius

Negasius PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone! I'm having a big issue with one of my dogs and was wondering if anyone could advise. Here's all the info i can think of! :

I currently live with my partner and 2 dogs in a rented house with a garden. My older dog is a calm, brilliantly behaved rescue patterdale cross of about 1.5 years. We got her at 6 months old. Our other dog, Gizmo, and the cause of the post is a (we suspect) spaniel cross greyhound who is 8 months old. We got him at 8 weeks old from our local rescue shelter. Our problem is he is incredibly destructive and forgets his house training when we are not around.

We are at our wits end after he has damaged an incredible amount of our belongings (a brief list of which includes : the kitchen floor, the living room carpet, the landing carpet, 2 pairs of pajama bottoms, 1 cardigan, a whole pot of pens, 1 glass, heaps and heaps of papers, drawings and work of mine, one pair of shoes and countless dog beds.) Most of this we cannot afford to replace. We've tried everything we can think of and nothing is helping. My partner at this stage openly admits to strongly disliking him and wants him gone and so this is my desperate attempt to resolve the situation.

Here's a day in the life of gizmo to try and give some perspective of the situation

My partner wakes up between 5 and 6am and Gizmo is awake and we can hear him running around downstairs (we have a babygate blocking him off the stairs after the stair carpet incident... Downstairs is a small kitchen and our small living room so he gets the run of both. ) My partner gets up and lets him out for a wee. There will be a wee on the kitchen floor from the night. He gets fed a bowl of chappie dry chicken flavour. Before 8.30 am he is also let out for a poo and taken for a walk. At 8.30 we leave for work with no fuss at all. He is left with rawhide chews, toys and often a kong stuffed with peanut butter.

We come back from work at approximately 5.30pm and will be welcomed with 1-4 wees, nearly always in the kitchen so that's not too bad cause we can clean it up alright but quite often there will be a wee on the living room carpet or his pet bed. He doesnt often wee in the same place twice (apart from kitchen obv. ) There will also be some sort of destruction. Either he will have ripped up some of the lino in the kitchen/tore the edging off some of the rubber backed mats covering the already ripped away floor or tore up some of the living room carpet. Also anything he can manage to get his paws on either from the desk in our living room or the counters in the kitchen (he can easily look onto/put his front paws onto these) he will destroy. We keep them clear of all stuff due to this but if anything is ever left by accident then it's history!

We then clear up all this mess, ignoring him the whole time, and then we take him on the feild behind our house for 30 minutes where he is left off the lead and we throw a frisbee for him so he gets a really good run. When we get back in we feed him another bowl of chappie dry food. During the evening he is the perfect dog, he goes to the door when he needs the toilet and sits quietly/plays quietly with our toys or other dog. This is the same when we're off work and at home, he is perfectly behaved but if we go out even for 10 minutes there'll be a wee waiting for us. When it comes to bedtime we clear everything off the surfaces again as if there's anything in the sink he will lick at it or pull it out but he doesnt usually bother with other stuff at night. He will have one wee in the kitchen nearly every night. Then the cycle repeats.

I apologise for the length of this post. I really hope someone can help us cause i love him alot and he is so dependant on our other dog and us that i feel rehoming him could really cause him some issues. I understand we do work full time and that's not ideal but at the moment we have no choice but we are in the process of setting up our own business which would mean my partner works from home and hopefully then it'll be alot easier. I'm at my wits end as as i mentioned my partner has had enough and we have no more money for repairs. My birthday is this week and i'm having to ask for replacement flooring instead of something nice :( Also as we live in rented accomodation we are allowed our dogs on the condition that he does not soil/damage anything and if they do then we must replace it obviously.

Please no comments about how cruel i am for having a dog whilst i'm working. If you say nothing i'll have no more ideas and then i'll have to move on to rehoming him so then you people that think i'm so cruel will be happy ;)

Thanks so much in advance for any comments and i'll be happy to give any more info you might need!
    Sam xxx

2. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

I don't think you are cruel to have a dog whilst working (I work & have 2 dogs) but I do think exopecting an 8th old pup to hold on from 8.30am until 5.30pm is completely unrealistic.

You need to go back to basics with toilet training him - does he have a crate?
    I would also say to get a neighbour/family member or dog walker to come induring the day to take him out as even if a dog can hold on all that time it wouldn't be comfortable

I haven't had a pup (both mine were older) but my sisters pup sounds pretty much the same - despite her being at home & giving him (undivided) attentions some days he has managed to destroy the kitchen lino, eaten her husbands wallet (complete with £100 in it!), eaten holes in chairs, etc

It may be just a 'normal' thing for im to do or he may be bored. You need to clear all your stuff away ALL the time - it is unrealistic to expect him to 'know' not to chew it.

It sounds like you need to build up the time you are out of the house gradually so he is less anxious. Sorry i can't give you any more advice (I'm a novice dog owner myself) but hoepfully someone who has more experience of pups will be able to give you some tips

#2 Cleo38, Apr 29, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  3. Negasius

Sorry, i should've added about that! I don't expect him to hold it up and dont mind if he only has one wee in the right spot in the kitchen (where his newspaper used to be, we cant leave down paper or puppy pads tho cause he eats them.)

We don't have a crate for him as we have 2 dogs and i dont want to crate her and wasnt sure if he'd cope on his own without her. Also the only place to put a crate large enough for him would be in the middle of our living room which wouldnt be too practical :(

I don't feel comfortable enough to ask/let any of my neighbours into my house during the day and the only member of my family who is home often enough would be my grandmother but she would not want that sort of commitment as she likes her free and varied schedule!

Thanks for your reply tho!! :)

4. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I agree with Cleo - it's unreasonable to expect him to hold on all day and not have accidents. The fact that you work isn't a problem, but you do need to get someone to let him out during the day to toilet and also to stop him being quite so bored and therefore destructive.

I would strongly suggest a crate too. I started crating Kenzie at 5 months so it's not too late to start at 8 months. When she's in her crate she can't destroy anything and it helped immensly with her toilet training. She did have the occasional accident in her crate, but I wouldn't hesitate in crating from the beginning if I had another puppy.

Obviously though you can't leave a puppy in a crate for 8 hours while you work.

Hope you can find a solution here. He isn't a bad dog, he's just doing what puppies do :)

5. springerpete

springerpete PetForums VIP

Hi.
    You may not like this, but I believe that you're leaving an 8month old pup alone for far too long. Apart from the toilet issues he must be bored witless, it's hardly suprising that he's causing damage.

Lulus mum likes this.
  6. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Sorry I didn't see your reply before I posted mine.

I'm afraid without someone coming to see him in the middle of the day and without crating I don't see too many solutions to your situation.

Could you stretch to getting a dog walker for an hour a day? Can you or your partner come home for lunch? Could he go to 'doggy daycare'?

At 8 months he should be able to go throughout the night without toileting, but if he's allowed to go to the toilet inside during the day, how does he know he shouldn't at other times?

7. Negasius

At present we're really stretched as it is and could not afford a dog walker. There's really no one i could ask in except my next door neighbour but i don't know her well so do not feel comfortable asking such a commitment plus you never know what they'd do whilst in the house!! Also we work 15 miles away and only have 30 mins lunch so cannot visit him during the day. As i said we hopefully will be working from home soon (or else being unemployed as we both work in the same place and have been told recently that it's likely we'll be being made redundant within the next month.)

I understand i'm not presenting any decent options and probably sound like i'm being difficult! :( i'm just lost and really dont want to have to rehome him.

Thanks again for the replies xxx

8. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I don't think you're being difficult - you obviously care about him. I just don't know what else to suggest I'm afraid. Hopefully someone else will be along with an idea.

9. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Agree with McKenzie I really don't know nwhat else to suggest as I think the only option you have is to have someone come in during the day.

It will be so difficult to completely toliet train him if some times he is 'allowed' to wee but sometimes not.

I hope you can sort something out soon.

10. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

Can you get a dog flap for the back door? Then at least he can play in the garden.

11. Negasius

I'd love to get a dog flap but it's a patio door! You can't put dog flaps in those right...? The other side would be better but the front garden has a very low wall they could jump over plus it's on the street so people would be like, i could crawl through that BIG ASS dog flap. :(

12. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Is there no way you could have a longer lunch hour & make up time at the end of the day so you could come home at some point?

13. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

You CAN get a dog flap inserted into glass. I've had dog flaps in glass doors before.

14. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

So have we though & it looked great .... until the whole glass pane shattered everywhere one day when Toby went through it. I am still finding glass shards months afterwards. I feel sick thinking of what could have happended if the pane had fell on him

15. Negasius

Omg Cleo, that must've been awful for you. Did toby not manage to step in any of it? If not that was lucky for you!

Also, i don't think my landlady would approve of a dog flap in the glass pane. I'd probably have to replace the door when i move out then and god knows how much they are! Also i don't think i can afford to have one installed :S workmen always seem to be so very very expensive!!

I wouldn't be allowed a longer lunchbreak. They begrudge giving us 30 mins (even tho most of the time we dont even take them and just eat whilst it's quiet in the shop) and we're not paid for that.

I'm really sorry to throw down every suggestion i'm getting :( i'm not being difficult i promise!! xxx

16. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

Did you work full time when you got him? :confused:

17. Negasius

Yes but i was working in another branch of the shop which was 5 minutes away from my house so could easily come home and it took an hour off the day from not travelling so far. That store closed down tho so we were moved to this one which is 15 miles away :( and now this ones closing down too!!!

18. tjk

tjk PetForums Senior

is it possible he is anxious being left ? as you said he is fine while you are there, also is he neutered ?

19. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Both dogs were fine - luckily. We have now had another dog flap installed but had to get a new frame for tyhe window - bottom half upvc with the dog flap installed & divider then glass on top. Cost us £400 :eek: so quite expensive but as it's our own property (& we have no intention of ever moving) it was worth it.

If you can't afford a dog walker or get someone to pop in then your only options are: to try & manage this by working on his separation anxiety & keeping eberything out of his reach, get another job that is closer to home or more flexible or rehome him if he is so distressed.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice