Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Really need help on BARF

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by keeleyjane19, May 31, 2010.

1. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

Hello. I know I poseted a similar thread, but really need some suggestions, maybe a menu of what you would feed in a week.

AM or PM or BOTH?

I've decided to stick with turkey, chicken and lamb to help with intolerances.

I will get wings, necks, hearts, livers, kidneys, ribs etc..

Is the prize choice good in PAH or not enough variety?

Do I need to add supplements or not bother?

What about veg?

Any help will be kindly appreciated, thank you x

2. the melster

the melster PetForums Senior

I have changed to barf/raw and I have started with the mixed pouched for Natural Instinct (NI) as like you I was a bit confused as to what to feed.

I don't keep a record of what Bo eats as I do it by eye. Her main diet is the NI pouches but she also has:

Main meals
    Lamb mince, chicken mince.
    Natures Menu raw complete (from the pet shop).
    I also feed whole hearts (from Supermarket) and whole pieces of meat when reduced.

Alternatives/Extras
    Whole eggs (let them crack them)
    apples
    carrots
    Beta Puppy

Bones
    For bones she has lamb necks (NI), lamb ribs (Supermarket), lamb breast (the one with bones - Supermarket)
    Chicken wings.
    I usually freeze the bones for a few days and then defrost them before giving them to her as it is supposed to kill any bacteria in them.

I am also new to this so don't know probably as much as I should but I can only tell you what I do with Bo.

I feed her any one of the main meals above and have had no problems with switching between meals. The NI pouches have bone mixed in and I tend to give her a meaty bone about 3 times a week instead of a meal but I usually give her bones according to her poo. If it's very firm I stay off the bones and feed them when it is normal/softer. I tend to feed her what I have to hand and I don't weigh anything now just do it by eye and work on the premise that as long as I can feel her ribs but not see them she is fine. I sometimes put down some dry food if I am not sure if she has had enough also.

I don't feed any supliments as the pouches are balanced as barf so I figure she is getting everything she needs.

I was really worried when I first started and wanted a sheet with all the amounts printed on but it's a lot more relaxed than that. I'm going to keep Bo on the pouches until she is 1 and then totally go alone if not before.

Good luck with the switch and don't worry too much. I'm sure somebody with a lot more knowledge will be along soon to help.

#2 the melster, May 31, 2010
    Last edited: May 31, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  3. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

Thank you so so much!! Thats helped, it's kind of what I had in mind, do you feed once or twice a day? xx

4. Alisa25

Alisa25 PetForums Senior

Hey!!

Im in exactly the same situation as you! Trying to find out how to feed raw. :eek:

Thanks The melster! Really helpful advice. :)

5. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

I have got the prizes choice rectangle frozen mince in blocks to try to see if my dogs approve to start with.

I think I am going to feed twice daily.

Will do 2-3 days knuckle bones for PM etc

Then the other days at PM I will use mince turkey, chicken, lamb, rabbit etc..

Then occassional eggs, veg etc

AM I will feed Offal I think.

Its so confusing to start but it seems easy when you have the hang of it!!

Thank you so so much you have really helped in me making decisions!! xx

6. the melster

the melster PetForums Senior

I feed twice a day but now Bo is 7 months she will not eat the morning feed but has 2 meals at night. Am glad I could be of help as a newbie myself. Just to add when feeding bones don't feed any bones which are weight bearing as they are harder than the enamel on your dogs teeth and it can chip them.

#6 the melster, May 31, 2010
    Last edited: May 31, 2010
  7. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

I don't really like the prize choice food - we only use it in emergencies - i don't know why except that it just doesn't look like food to me.

We order from Landywoods. Mine get meat and tripe mince most days, then sometimes they will have a chicken carcasse or fresh tripe chunks. They have chicken wings and meaty bones as treats. I also give them sardines in tomato sauce.

They have Wainwrights kibble aswell.

We use offal as a training aid

8. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

Thank you for your advice, obviously you reduce the amount of kibble to what you are feeding raw.

Do you not use veg?

There is so much to think about.... lol!

9. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

We do use fruit and veg but only occassionally. we bung it in the food processor. They like spinach and apples (no seeds) and carrots. They have raw carrots regularly as a chew though.

10. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

Ok cool!!

This is now seeming easier to understand!!

Just got to make sure I am giving the right amounts to give them what they need!! xx

11. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

You can quite easily come up with your own food plan for a week.

1) Figure out how much your dog needs on a daily basis. Let's use a 30kg, averagely active dog as an example. That dog would need 600g of raw food a day.

2) If you follow barf, then up to 20% of that can be veg and fruit (they say more veg than fruit in a ratio of 75/25)) - that's 120 g of veg and fruit a day (75% of 120g veg = 90g; 25% of 120g = 30g).

3) 80% is the various bits of meat = 480g
    of which 50% is muscle meat (including heart) 50% of 480g = 240g
    of which 20% is stomach/sweetbreads/gizzards: 20% of 480 = 96g
    of which 15% is offal: 15% of 480 = 72g
    of which 15% is bone: 15% of 480g = 72g

So per week you will need
    630g of veg
    210g of fruit
    1680g of muscle meat (including heart)
    672g of stomach etc
    504g of offal
    504g of bone

To make it easier you can round this up to
    650g of veg
    250g of fruit
    1700g of muscle meat
    700g of stomach
    500g of offal
    500g of bone

:D

We tended to have a fasting day when we fed our dogs, so we used a shopping list like that to create food for 6 days.

Does that help?

12. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

FANTASTIC!! Thank you xxx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice