Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Really confused and a bit worried now... help!!

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Flissy, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Flissy

Flissy PetForums VIP

Well I woke up this morning and noticed that my hamster Sausage was in his bed... but with no bedding? He had taken it all out and put it on the platform thing in his cage next to his food and water bottle. Then when I looked closer... I noticed that it was all soaking wet? And the water bottle next to it was completely empty - it must have had about 100ml in it.

So what did he do..? I don't know how he got the water out of the bottle as it doesn't leak as far as I know, and it definitely wouldn't leak that much. I also don't understand why he took the bedding out and put it on the platform..?

He seems to be fine now - I quickly got rid of the sopping wet bedding and gave him some fresh stuff and now he seems fine making a new bed. But I'm a bit worried, I don't know why/how he did that!

I don't know if its anything to do with it but last night I got him out and put him in the hamster ball for a while and he mainly just sat there, but I just thought he was having an unenergetic day as sometimes he seems hyperactive and runs loads when other days he is lazier!

2. spankingtigger

spankingtigger PetForums Member

he probably decided he want to sleep somewhere else a change of senery lol our hammys do it all the time at work, and as for the wet bedding again very common at work, they tend to make there nest right under the water bottle but when there doing it them make it a little bit to high and push it against the spout of the bottle there for pushing the ball in on the bottle then that make the bottle lea on to the bedding the bedding then would have got heavy and lowered away from the bottle making it look like it was the bottle fault leaking lol

hope this clears it up for you :)

3. Flissy

Flissy PetForums VIP

Thanks - hopefully that was it! I'm not sure why he wanted to make his bed there... but oh well he's back in his normal bed now and seems to be ok :D

4. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

as said i shouldnt worry, mine moves his bed every few days and if the bedding is touching the water bottle it doesnt take long to empty. little pests arent they ;)

5. Flissy

Flissy PetForums VIP

I'm glad its not just my hamster being loopy :D

6. spankingtigger

nope my degus do it all the time just to be annoying i think lol

7. Flissy

Flissy PetForums VIP

well it was quite annoying having to get up at 6:00 in the morning just to scoop out the dripping tissue and give him some fresh bedding :mad:

i've moved the water bottle now so hopefully he won't do it again :D

8. spankingtigger

he will prob find a way of doing it again hehe

9. Flissy

Flissy PetForums VIP

he better not!! :p

10. Neza

Neza PetForums VIP

Hopefully he won't now that you're taking percautions against it.

11. Flissy

Flissy PetForums VIP

Well Sausage had a dry night last night so thats good... hehe :)

12. u-look-like-a-hamster

u-look-like-a-hamster PetForums VIP

Glad he had a better night!!

xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice