Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Reality or a nearly 2 collie

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Ragnar&Biffy, May 4, 2021.

1. Ragnar&Biffy

Ragnar&Biffy Biffy

Hi all, Short question without me posting any more info about Biff

But what should I really be expecting from a 22 month border collie.....?

2. winterrose

winterrose PetForums Senior

That's a very vague question, so you may have to elaborate more...

3. Ragnar&Biffy

Ragnar&Biffy Biffy

Yeah I know it's vague sorry just wanted to see what responses I got...

Basically I feel at times I'm failing him with other stuff I'm doing is wrong or incorrect but at times he surprises me and is amazing... Basically just felt like things have been going wrong and I can't seem to get it right... But then I see a few people over my local park who have seem him grow up and said he's amazing for his age and they always see me doing the right things and just got keep going with him. But I'm sure like most owners especially with such a hard wired collie in a family environment I'm feel like I'm failing at times. Maybe it was my expectations vs reality..or just high standards I'm setting myself

But the question was just to see what random replays I get to be honest..

Jason25 likes this.
  4. Jason25

Jason25 PetForums VIP

Write down what you expect and what you have got, take it from there and see what you got to work on?

Is she a working dog or a pet? If you’re asking about what a 22 month old working collie should be doing for that age I would ask a someone who works then on a farm personally lol

Ragnar&Biffy likes this.
  5. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

I'm not really sure what you are getting at...what should you be expecting in terms of general behaviour? Intelligence and the ability to understand things? Formal training?

I cant remember my collie at 22 months, it was a long time ago and I'd gotten a pup by then. I do remember as a pup he was a nightmare and caused me alot of grief in terms of getting him to work with me, not against me, toilet training, destruction etc but as an adult he was an easy, laid back dog.

Ragnar&Biffy and Jason25 like this.
  6. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

I think it very much depends on the individual. I got Puzzle at 18 months and he was nervous wreck. He soon learned that he loved toys and was great in his crate as it was his safe space (the rest of the house was very scary). It took a while for him to come round to other people but he now loves everyone. To be honest he was a really easy dog once we built his confidence up and has a natural want to please you and be near you. He's sensitive but sweet and funny.

Ragnar&Biffy, Jason25 and Lurcherlad like this.
  7. Ragnar&Biffy

Ragnar&Biffy Biffy

Yeah it was just in general terms. Sorry appreciate it was a very vague question. But I suppose no one individual dog is the same regarding of breed. Just thought of someone asked what should I expect from a 1 year old dog the answers may have been simpler ie full of energy/pushing boundires. So was expecting answers like that for a different age.

So don't worry ignore me , silly thread so apologies for that, I was having a bad few days:):)

Jason25 likes this.
  8. Jason25

Jason25 PetForums VIP

For a 1 year old dog I would expect them to be a bit naughty and push some boundaries. Mine is 3 and still tests me :Hilarious

if you’re struggling with something related to your dog and it’s getting you down I’m sure someone here can help :)

Ragnar&Biffy likes this.
  9. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

They are all so different, even within the same breed, so it would be impossible to answer your question. I've been training my collie puppies for competitive obedience for over 40 years and even then they've all progressed in different ways and at different rates.
    If you are happy with him then surely that's all that matters. Why do you think you are letting him down?

Ragnar&Biffy and Sarah H like this.
  10. Moobli

Moobli PetForums VIP

My husband is a shepherd and so we have had various border collies over the years. They are so individual it is hard to give a specific answer. At 22 months in general terms we hope ours are well started on sheep and able to come out to work without being a liability. They will recall, lie down and take direction. Our bearded border collie, Archie, is just two years and he is our main lambing dog this year. He has a mature head on a young body though and picked up commands very quickly. We also have two bearded border pups (7 months) and they were wild and wilful until around a month or so ago, now they are starting to listen and respond to cues.
    I think a working bred collie in a pet home is always going to be more of a challenge as there are so many things they have to contend with that never arise in a working home.
    What do you feel you have achieved, and what do you hope to achieve with him in future?
    I always direct pet owners to this brilliant article to help them understand their border collie and what makes him tick, it also explains why they are maybe acting the way they are.

What is Your Border Collie NOT Good At? (agilitynet.co.uk)

11. Ragnar&Biffy

Ragnar&Biffy Biffy

sorry for the late response. thank you for all the replys i think i just had a bad few days. He is very high drive dog.. but in all fairness he is amazing, but as a first time collie owner its been a challenge and am learning every day but also has been incredible fun. Hes amazing with the kids and as long as he has had the right amount of mental and physical exercise hes a dream in the house. Only thing realistically i am struggling with but feel i might be getting somewhere is his arousal.. not so much the humping anymore as ive been managing that a lot more.

i am lucky he is such a happy collie and the world is his playground in his head.

im a active person so he is always out with me as and when i can but he also now gets plenty of "off" days so i can balance his arousal levels. busy day = next day calm activity's.

Im hoping to start classes again soon when they start up again and and looking into dog sports at present as spoken to a few highly regarded trainers within the industry" and i can use his arousal and excitement to my advantage and channel it correctly... so could be fun for me and him.

ive taken advice from previous threads and stuck to one training style and it is working wonders and really enjoying it when there is more structure for me let alone him

when i said failing i kinda meant i felt bad for him as many hard sired farm dogs its not always fair for them in a pet home but suppose that the world we live in but i give him the best life i can do. I know hes fine its just me with the thoughts.

thanks again (and will read that article later)

#11 Ragnar&Biffy, May 12, 2021
    Last edited: May 12, 2021
    Jason25, Twiggy and Torin. like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice