Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Real men do not eat quiche...or hay

Discussion in 'Chinchillas' started by Bjarki the Hooli, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Bjarki the Hooli

Bjarki the Hooli PetForums Newbie

My boy is a weirdo: he has even changed the colour of his eyes, from ruby to dark grey, which, it seems, is contrary to what evolution intended and better mannered chins do not do. But it is his attitude to hay what takes the biscuit: he just ignores it and the better the hay the less he seems to like it.

At the beginning I gave him Pets at Home timothy hay and he just said pfff, eat THAT, moi?. So I got Animal Dreams 5 a Day and it was the same pfff, but longer: he planted himself in front of the rack, looked at it as if it were a basket of green mambas put there to honey Mighty Mongoose's hunting skills, pulled the stuff out and after making a holy mess, hopped away, looking for more interesting things to do.

I tried putting Natural meadow hay cookies in a dish but he discovered that he could flip it with his teeth with a mighty bang, spreading the contents like confetti: maybe in his mind hay is entertainment and rock-and-roll instead of food. Anchoring the dish only avoided the mighty bang and the confetti effect: as for the the hay, it just lied there, un-loved and un-eaten.

The only one he seems to have any interest in (and a very marginal one at that) in is the rough bedding hay I put in a hide at the bottom of his cage in case he feels cold but he must be the reincarnation of a Spartan warrior, because anything soft or cosy is eschewed in favour of tough and manly. Wonder of he thinks that hay is ninny.

I feel like a bad parent, unable to make children eat their greens. Any suggestions?

#1 Bjarki the Hooli, Mar 7, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2019 at 12:18 AM
  2. Tiggers

Tiggers PetForums Senior

Have you tried American Timothy Hay? I've yet to find a chin that won't eat this! My chins love Orchard Grass and Botanical Hay by Oxbow, but be warned, it is expensive. I've included the links to where I purchase my hay :)

https://dustfreehay.co.uk/

3. Bjarki the Hooli

Many thanks for the information and the links; it is more than worth trying, as I found out I can also get Oxbow in Pets at Home and if that works, I would definetly go for the American hay. Do not buy the American directly because it comes in much larger packages and if he says pfff again, I will pull his ears (well, I would never do that; I adore his bat ears). Which one do your chins prefer: Orchad or Botanical?

#4 Bjarki the Hooli, Mar 7, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    Tiggers likes this.
  4. Arny

Arny PetForums Member

I get mine from timothyhay.co.uk I'm lucky in that none of mine are picky with hay.

5. Tiggers

Tiggers PetForums Senior

Out of the two, my lot prefer Orchard Grass :). They only get a small handful a couple of times a week as they would probably demand it as their staple otherwise.

6. Bjarki the Hooli

Thanks again. WIth only one to feed, going for the Orchad will increase the odds of him eating it instead of ending, the rpeviouos ones, in the animal rescue from where I got him. Bet the rabbits and piggies were thinking: great, Christmas again!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice