Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Ready to start raw, is this the right amount

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by DirtyGertie, Mar 25, 2011.

1. DirtyGertie

DirtyGertie PetForums VIP

OK, stocked up with chicken legs and drumsticks, one pack of Prize Choice Chicken mince and some chicken breast fillets were already in the freezer. First raw meal tomorrow morning and I think I'll feed one day raw, one day Naturediet/Burns until the commercial food is used up.

So, Poppy weighs 5kg and it appears that the expected adult weight would be around 6kg. 3% of adult weight would then be 180 grams.

I've got a chicken drumstick weighing approx 85gms which I think I will give her at tea time. This leaves approx 100grams for brekkie. Would it be OK to give her the chicken breast, or should I give her the meat only from the thigh, or one quarter of the Prize Choice Chicken mince which would be 100gms. If I give her the thigh or breast fillet meat, do I cut it up into pieces?

I've got some blended veg already in the freezer, should I mix say a tablespoon of that in with the Prize Choice or the other chicken meat or leave the veg out.

I'm quite excited about this, really looking forward to trying it out tomorrow. I think she'll like it.

#1 DirtyGertie, Mar 25, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  2. Jasper's Bloke

Jasper's Bloke PetForums VIP

The simple answer is that you never know until you try, but once you get going and start to see the many benefits you will wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

The only thing I would say is that 3% is the upper amount recommended and is usually to allow for a working or very active dog, but having said that, with a small dog the difference between 2% and 3% is really very small anyway. There are so many variables that any feeding recommendation is only ever a guide, but it is as good a place to start as any so I would just go for it and see how you get on. You can always tweak the amount on a day to day basis if it starting to look like too much or too little.

Don't forget to video Poppy's very first bone crunching session!

3. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

Sorry dont know about the raw breasts as Ive only fed minces and RMB so far.
    Sounds like a good amount to me :thumbup:

#3 babycham2002, Mar 25, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  4. Souris

Souris PetForums Senior

Give her whichever you fancy- so either the breast, thigh or mince. :)

You don't need to chop it up for her- chopping it up would more than likely make her gulp it actually. She's only a small dog, so I doubt she can gulp a lump of chicken- just make sure the lump is big enough so that she has to chew it.

I'll echo what I've said about the minces before (prize choice)- they can be slightly 'sloppy' in texture, a bit like runny porridge I guess when fully defrosted. So, if she doesn't take to it fully defrosted, then half frozen is an option. Also, the prize choice minces contain a very small amount of bone (4% if I remember rightly), so if she doesn't manage any of the bone on the drumstick given it's her first day then the bone might help keep her somewhat more solid- although it won't do much as it's in such a minimal amount.

Hope she enjoys it, and happy raw feeding!

Edit: On the veg note, I don't add veg at all so can't really help you out. Hopefully Malmum or sleeping Lion who do feed veg will come along and help you work out how much you need!

5. SixStar

SixStar Banned

As said by the others, feed whatever you fancy, I'm sure Poppy won't mind either way! I wouldn't bother chopping the breast meat up, that's what the raw diet is all about- chewing through lumps of meat etc, that's what helps keep their teeth so clean and wears them out. Keep a close eye on her and maybe even hold the end if you think she is likely to gulp, although such a small dog probably wouldn't manage to gulp a chicken breast.

The only Prize Choice meat I use is their tripe, very occasionally. I never feed it fully defrosted, it's awfully runny and bloody. I can't say for sure their chicken mince would be the same, but you may prefer to feed it semi-frozen.

As for the veg, I give blended veg- not for nutrionally value, purely because the dogs love it, and it's a something to mix into their liver to get them to eat it! I blend a load of fruits and vegetables in a blender, with a few cloves of garlic and a good glug of salmon oil. Then I freeze in ice cube size portions, my Westie, who would be about the same weight as your girl (6.9kg- small for his breed) gets 2 veg ice cubes a day. Then I give whole raw carrots, sugarsnap peas and chunks of parsnips as treats every other day or so. Remember veg isn't essential, so don't stress about giving it. Only give it if your girl enjoys it, they get next to nothing nutrionally speaking from it anyway :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice