Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Ready prepared raw diet?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by KathyM, Jun 15, 2010.

1. KathyM

KathyM PetForums Senior

I am a big raw feeding fan but really haven't got the time or confidence to make my own from scratch - it's also hard for me to store in bulk. I know I used to be able to get ready prepared AMP mince "dinners" for the dogs, can you use any of the ready prepared AMP minces/dinners as a complete diet for the cats/kittens (don't mind adding extras such as vits)? Are any of the AMP "meals" suitable/complete? I can get them in Jollye's so saves me having to buy in massive bulk from one of the raw suppliers/deliverers.

2. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

AMP - that is price choice, right? Do you know what the ratio of meat to bone to offal is in those minces? I haven't fed them but just had a quick look online and it appears that there are only up to 4% of bones in the minces? Do the minces contain liver?

If that is correct then there are not enough bones in there - ideally it should be about 10%. Any more and you get constipation, any less and you don't have enough calcium.

Like others they don't seem to include heart (well apart from the heart minces :eek:) so you would need to supplement either with heart or with a taurine powder to ensure that your cat gets enough taurine.

Do you have some freezer space? Raw to go has opened in Wales, which sell DAF minces. Again, no heart but I believe the ratio of meat to bone to offal is right. You could pm Sorcha who currently feeds them or have a look at the raw to go thread. It is also quite affordable.

There are other companies that offer raw prepared food but some of them have minimum orders - Darlings, which do minces for cats from free-range meats have a min order of 20kg. But again, their minces are complete, inc heart. They do a trial pack of 3 kg of minces inc delivery for £10.

3. KathyM

KathyM PetForums Senior

Thanks ever so much! I can get an order from DAF here delivered, but I remember from looking into it for the dogs that it would require a minimum order that would be a bit on the large side for me storage wise. I don't think I'd be able to accommodate 20kg or use it within recommended times, I'm not entirely sure as I can't visualise it (I'm pants at that lol). Would depend on the feeding guide I suppose, so I will look into them, thanks!

I wish the raw feed places had more info on their sites about what to feed, I'm just not capable of working out levels of things for myself and wouldn't trust myself to get the diet "complete" by mixing it all myself (I'm on strong meds at the moment which basically give me brain fog!). Perhaps with a recipe of some sort lol.

Thanks again for the help!

4. julianne

julianne PetForums Member

E-mail Lee and ask if any pet shops near you sell it.I know 2 near me that sell it but aren't advertised on the DAF site:)

5. KathyM

KathyM PetForums Senior

Thanks, I've spoken to him before about it and best they can do is an order to me. I don't think it's going to be worth it sadly. Thanks though!

Does anyone have any more in depth information on the Darlings food? Their website has no information whatsoever on cat food. :confused:

6. HollyM

HollyM PetForums VIP

Have you considered just getting meat from the buchers and adding Felini complete? Its all you need to add, nothing else. Ok its synthetic nutrients but if you are worried about making your own then this would be a solution.

7. KathyM

KathyM PetForums Senior

I've not heard of that. I will look into it, thanks!

8. HollyM

HollyM PetForums VIP

9. KathyM

KathyM PetForums Senior

Thanks again for the info Holly, having looked it up on Zooplus it looks like it would be (once added to the cost of raw) a very expensive option as the biggest tub wouldn't even last a month. Unless there is a cheaper supplier than Zooplus? I'm really grateful for the help, don't want it to sound like I'm knocking every option back. :eek:

Would still be very interested in hearing more about Darlings (the OH reckons we can make space in the freezer), especially rough pricing/delivery costs and ingredients/quality. Thanks!

10. The Twins

The Twins PetForums Senior

Hi - we use darlings and they are fab... really good quality, very helpful on the phone and i would def recommend them. I am due to go and get my next order from them next week. I collect it from them as i dont live too far away and it saves on the delivery cost of £10. They do have a minimum order of 20kgs but if you collect it in person and a regular customer etc they will do smaller orders - well they do for me! Their website hasnt been updated but they do complete cat mince - chicken, lamb, beef and i think are branching into rabbit mince too which i am about to try out on our two. If you ring and speak to Vicky, she is really helpful! Their sample pack for £10 is brilliant - 1kg each of beef, lamb and chicken.
    And i only have a small under-counter freezer and i managed to fit 21kgs of mince into 2 1/2 drawers! It squishes in quite well as it comes in 500g 'sausage' shaped packages.

11. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Re Felini Complete - you need 12.5 kg for I kg of meat - so a tub would last you for 10kg. How many cats do you need to feed?

There are also other complete mixes available in Europe, such as Future Instincts.

To be honest, you can get the supplements from barf shops in Germany once you got your head around what you want. That way you know what you put in it, what the proportions are and you don't need to feed minces (which don't provide a big plus of the raw diet - chewing)

12. Elmstar

Elmstar PetForums VIP

Isn't that site just for dogs?

13. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

No, they have also started doing cat minces. But you need to phone them to place an order (the cat minces contain no veg). They have been talking about uploading their new website that also makes it clear that they do stuff for cats but that hasn't happened yet.

14. The Twins

The Twins PetForums Senior

No def not just dogs but they are so busy they havent had time to do their website... i'd ring and speak to vicky if you want more info. Or PM me.

15. KathyM

KathyM PetForums Senior

Thanks all of you - you're all diamonds! The more I read into this the more I wish I had a mincer and a mathematical mind lol! I think perhaps if I had a recipe that I could make from the AMP mince or similar, I would be sailing. As for chewing, my previous cats all had bashed chicken wings weekly. I know it's possible to get taurine cheaply from the bodybuilding sites and in previous experience a lot of pet-labelled vits are available much cheaper in H&B for humans or wherever. Perhaps I need to look into things more and see if I can make my own. I would still be interested to hear more about the prices of Darlings and the feeding guides/ingredients so I can work out the costs compared to what I'm using now. I don't really want to ring and end up talking myself into making an order before I've researched more so if anyone has that info I'd really appreciate it. :thumbup:

16. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

You don't need a mincer - unless you also want to mince bones.

You don't need vits.

If you want to make your own food you need to find a butcher who will be able to give you offal (kidney, liver, spleen), heart, other muscle meat (which can include tongue, stomach). And bones.

The ratio you need to follow are 80% muscle meat (including heart but no more than 10%), 10% bone and 10 offal (of which 5% liver).

If you cannot get bones in that mix then use eggshells.

The only other things I add to my mixes (which I just chop up into long strips but no bones) are fortain (to give them iron), seaweed (for iodine), brewers yeast (for Vit bs), frozen salmon and salmon oil and a few other bits and pieces (including Vit E).

People who follow a prey model diet don't add those things - assuming that the cat gets all the nutrients from the prey food.

I don't feed fur, feather, stomach content, blood, etc - so I don't feed whole prey regularly, so I add stuff in.

What you will need is a sharp knife, a chopping board and a scale that goes down to .00g.

17. KathyM

KathyM PetForums Senior

Thanks. :) Is that ratio by weight or volume? I'm not keen on the idea of feeding whole bones, especially to kittens (I know the arguments for and against but see no need for them to risk them when muscle meat cleans teeth). I think I'd probably be keener to get hold of a calcium supplement than have to get through loads of eggs for them, is that possible?

I dunno, much as I like the idea, it all sounds very time consuming and complicated, I think I'd still be better off with relatively readymade, or a basic mince/chunks + supplement recipe. :thumbup:

18. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

By weight, and you can get eggshells already ground. Although it is easy to make the ground powder yourself.

At the beginning it is a bit more time consuming than opening a tin of food or pack of kibble but once you have the hang on it and you make food in advance for a few weeks then it becomes as easy as opening a tin or as feeding pre-prepared minces.

But those minces are certainly a great way to start!

19. KathyM

KathyM PetForums Senior

Thanks! I told myself that story about it getting easier in time when I did it for the dogs. I don't know what is wrong with me that means that isn't true for me, but it was always a time consuming PITA (apart from when I was pretty lazy and chucked them chicken carcasses and didn't prepare much at all til I panicked about them getting the extras lol). I did it because I had the time then. I suppose I do now but I'm not really able to stand in the kitchen for the amount of time I remember having to spend doing it last time. I can't comfortably sit on a chair either (I know it sounds barmy that I can't sit or stand for extended periods but it's true lol). I will find a way around the problems somehow I know. Thanks for your help!

ETA: ps. I do NOT believe that you can buy crushed eggshells - well I do, I just think that's utterly bonkers! LOL

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice