Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Reactive towards other dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by lauuza, Feb 6, 2019.

1. lauuza

lauuza PetForums Newbie

Any advice? I adopted a 1 year old lab collie cross last year. She is a friendly, loveable, excitable joy of a dog, but one issue I've been having is her behaviour towards other dogs. She loves other dogs and becomes very excitable when she sees them and wants to get to them to greet them. However she becomes very frustrated if she cant (due to being on her lead, they are on the other side of the road etc) and will lunge, bark, yelp. We have been doing some training with her by getting her to sit and focus on us rather than other dogs and reward her for doing so, and I would say 80% of the time she does this very well. However, she has her moments where, for lack of a better expression, loses it and goes crazy and I sometimes find her very hard to control. I know that she is excited and wants to get to the dog, but I worry at times she may come across as aggressive. I would love to get her to a point of being able to focus on us around all dogs and control her urges, and one day even be able to pass a dog in the street without her dragging me and yelping to go and greet it. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

2. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

Sounds as if you’re doing ok.
    If possible, rather than ask for a sit, try sticking a treat on her nose and walk on briskly with lots of chat and praise, rewarding her for good behaviour once you are away from the other dog. Try to think ahead and start to distract her before she gets to the reactive stage.

3. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

As above, I would work on training with the yummy treat and lots of praise to encourage and reward her for walking on past the dog. Keep a good space between you and any passing dog (cross roads etc) and if you can't then turn and walk the other way. It takes time but once she realises that she isn't going to get the greet a dog when on her lead but she will be rewarded if she keeps on walking then the message tends to get home. I wouldn't worry about what other people think - yes, a lunging dog can appear as 'aggressive' - but just concentrate on her and I am sure she will continue to improve.

I would also work on managing her play and interaction with dogs when she is off lead, too. Presumably she loves to go and play? Start to encourage her to stay and enjoy being with you rather than see every dog as a potential playmate.

J

Whiteshadow and Linda Weasel like this.
  4. lauuza

lauuza PetForums Newbie

Thank you for your replies. We have been doing that also, holding a treat for her to see and focus on and walking quickly with lots of praise and "watch me". She has been making loads of progress and doing really well, there are just some moments when she cracks and becomes almost uncontrollable. I am sure with hard work she will get better!

5. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Yes that works for me and my two . :)

6. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Well done. She is a young dog and she is still learning self control,
    Do you think she would walk in a head collar. it might give you more control over her.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice