Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Reactive small dog when rushed at by a much bigger dog?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Stepqueen, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Stepqueen

Stepqueen PetForums Newbie

I was walking my very well trained spaniel on open ground when a huge dog, which now know is a Cane Corso 6 month old dog probably weighing 60-70kg came suddenly into the space.
    The owner tried to recall the dog many times but the dog did not obey.
    The Cane then spotted a Jack Russell and rushed at it. The Jack Russell then reacted by defending itself and jumped up at the dogs face with its teeth bared.
    The owner of the Cane then had a shouting match at the owner of the JR.
    In the meantime his dog spots my dog who is in the undergrowth 10m from the path. The big dog stalked and then flew at my dog. There was a lot of noise, but I couldnt see so I called my dog. He came out of the bushes but the big dog was in the way so he jumped up at the Cane Corso to defend himself.
    The owner of the big dog inly saw this part of the exchange and accused my dog of biting his. My dog has never bitten another dog so I told him this.
    The owner then followed and chased me.
    I didnt give him my details as I knew my dog hadnt bitten his and I was very scared of this man.
    However the next day there was a post on social media looking like dog had been bitten on its muzzle, so either the Jack Russell or my dog has bitten this dog.
    I have not revelled my identity as I am scared but am worried about my dog.

Did my dog act unlawfully? Should the big dog be flagged up as dangerous? Is my dog likely, if he did do this, to bite again? If he dis this how much of his behaviour is because he was surprised in the bushes by a dog 5 times the size of him. He showed no interest in the big dog before or after thr incident and he waa not hurt. Help please

2. Nicola234

Nicola234 PetForums Senior

Why did you not call your dog to you when you saw what was happening with the jrt?

3. Stepqueen

Thanks for your reply, by the time the incident with the JT happened, the big dog had placed itself bewteen me and my dog. I thought my dog would be safer in the bushes out of sight. I also called out to the owner of the big dog who was 30 meters behind to call his dog back to him.

4. Stepqueen

I was behind the big owner and its owner when the Jack Russell incident happened. My dog, as usual was off roaming. In hindsight, I should have called my dog back and stopped to let them get well ahead. But all I wanted to do was get away so I walked as fast as I could away.

5. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

Well given that the owner of the cane corso apparently had no control of his dog, and noone actually saw your dog bite the dog, it seems to me that it could have been bitten by any number of dogs.

Did anyone else witness the incident?

If your dog did bite then it was likely in self-defense. What were the extent of the injuries to the cane corso?

6. Nicola234

Nicola234 PetForums Senior

I would’ve headed towards your dog the second I saw this happening. In my opinion the man shouldn’t have had the dog off leash if it was going to run at dogs and he couldn’t recall it, he also sounds very aggressive. Your dog probably just felt threatened by the other dog, I would try keeping him on lead for a bit to see how he reacts to other dogs and see if this has affected him in any way.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  7. Stepqueen

Thanks for replying. The Cane Corso had come from the car park which was right next to the land. Both incidents happened within 3 minutes of the dog and owner arriving. So i dont think it could have been any other dog. Loads of people were about and saw the incident with the JR as it was in the open. No-one saw the first encounter between my dog and the Cane as it was in the bushes. But myself and the owner of the Cane saw my dog come out of the bushes and jump to defend himself. That's why my dog got the blame.
    I had to go to the police as he tried to catch my dog so 'he could kill him'. And he also chased me with his dog for around 5 mins. The police said no-one had come forward.
    Police told me that the vet hadnt had to do anything to the injury so I assume it was superficial.

8. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

This is clearly a case of the CC owner not having his dog under control followed by pretty awful human behavior sadly.
    But I'm not sure what you're asking here. Of course your dog is not a dangerous dog. Are you worried about your dog becoming reactive? I wouldn't worry too much, most dogs are pretty resilient and shrug off this sort of thing as long as it doesn't become a routine experience for them, and as long as you don't become fearful too - that can definitely travel down the leash if you will.

Definitely report the incident, the dog was out of control and there needs to be a paper trail at least.

The advice to be more proactive as far as keeping your dog away from other dogs is sound too. Particularly if the dog seems out of control like this one obviously was. Have a plan, practice the plan when everything is going smoothly, and then when you have to implement it in a hurry it will be routine for your dog and he will be less likely to become reactive when you have unfortunate encounters.

9. Stepqueen

Thanks for your advice. He doesnr seems to be bothered by it and has been behaving well around other dogs. He tends to not engage with other dogs anyway. Sniff and move on.
    I have been calling him to me if other dogs bound up to him and make him look at me in a sit until they go away. So thats working too. Thanks

Nicola234 likes this.
  10. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

The CC's owner is the dangerous one, if anyone is. Clearly using threatening behaviour which is a criminal offence. Have you got his name through the social media post? He should get a warning/caution from the police, if nothing more. You should not need to be identified, although you've already made yourself known to the police. The guy's a tosser.

lorilu and Sairy like this.
  11. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Almost sounds like he set the whole thing up on purpose doesn't it? Knows his dog is going to go after other dogs, brings his dog to the field and lets him go. Then starts screaming fights with the other dog owners. Then posts as a victim on social media. All in a day's entertainment to him I bet.

@Stepqueen did you make note of his vehicle? I'd be avoiding any area you might encounter this person.

12. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

You know what they say - big dog, little willy.

Nicola234 and Siskin like this.
  13. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Haha! Yep. We say that about guys who drive big noisy souped up trucks too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice