Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

reactive dogs: barking on-leash, lunge, bolt, snap, hide, etc

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by leashedForLife, May 15, 2010.

1. leashedForLife

2. dodigna

dodigna PetForums VIP

I went on a clicker workshop for leash reactive dogs a few weeks back, it was following the same principle and it was amazing. Ray indeed worked out straight away that looking at the other dog would result in a click and reward, within a very short time he would just look briefly.

I put it to work immediately and the change is amazing already, he was never all that reactive on leash, but I have used it off leash a lot for him to keep the urge to run to dogs and say hello and possibly cause trouble, now he looks and I C/T after a few clicks his manner has relaxed, his tail is where it should be and he follows me happily :thumbup:

Should say though, that one of the dogs there is extremely leash reactive and for him the technique was the opposite, he would be C/T for avoiding to fix, they started at the end of the field with him to keep him under threshold and eventually managed to be close by, even in him the change was amazing. By the end of the workshop he would glance and look back at the owner at which point he would be C/T.

Amazing stuff clicker!

3. lucysnewmum

lucysnewmum PetForums Senior

i have been doing something along these lines with Lucy to make her more cat friendly! there are lots of cats where we live and i usually end up wrestling with a she devil when she spots one. recently, instead of taking her away from the trigger i have allowed her to watch the cat, encouraged her with a "nice puss cat" and given her a treat if she is calm. i hasten to add she has only managed it twice so far but this is a new thing so there is time!

4. leashedForLife

excellent -

how interesting! i have never attempted this particular version, even with dogs so reactive that the trigger-dog had to be clear across a parking-lot over 150-feet away to start...
    even then, there might be some barks if the trigger-dog moved more than a few FEET, or at anything but a slow walk.
    i will keep this in mind, in case of future need. :cool: ya never know!

thanks, hun... another string for the bow.
    --- terry

5. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I've just begun a clicker/reward technique with Luna. I've made no progress yet but I'll keep at it.

6. katiefranke

katiefranke PetForums VIP

This game is brilliant - I have used it with quite a lot of success with maggie to lower her reactivity (which seems to be out of excitement to go join in) around running/barking/excited dogs at flyball and agility environments. :thumbup: It sounds counter-intuitive initially but once they get it it can be used for all sorts! I also use a kind of version of it in the park with footballs and other off-lead dogs - maggie wants to go play or say hello, so i am training the footballs and dogs as triggers to look back at me, which either gives me the chance to distract her if she cannot go and play or to check the other dog is friendly and then let her go and meet them. It is coming along well :)

Also, without realising it, I also used a variation of this technique to teach maggie the hoover and the lawnmower were ok!!! lol. She was always ok with the hoover, but we bought a new one which was much louder suction and she seemed to take a dislike to it and wanted to try and herd it!! Lawnmower was our fault as we had never really thought to expose her to this as a pup so when she saw it around the same time as the new hoover she didnt like that either! :rolleyes: she got both really quick (i have noticed once they know the game with one trigger they quite quickly pick it up with others) and just ignores them now (although does sometimes come and find me and visibly show me she is looking and then looks back expecting a treat!! lol it is really quite funny to watch :D

#6 katiefranke, May 16, 2010
    Last edited: May 16, 2010
  7. leashedForLife

maggie:
    watch me push her buttons, and she;ll pay-out, oooh yummy... :thumbup: :thumbup:

8. Colliepoodle

Colliepoodle PetForums VIP

I've read a fair bit about this technique on another forum - I'm DESPERATE to try it on my neighbour's car-chasing Collie. The only thing standing in my way is that she hasn't asked me to. I keep trying to engineer meetings so I can say "Ooh have you tried the LAT method - I've been reading about it" blah blah blah.

It's got to be worth a shot and is probably more effective than her current "Hang onto the dog for dear life" method :biggrin:

9. katiefranke

lol :), i know what you mean! :) you will have to just happen to be leaving the house when they are (having been staring out the window all morning to catch them ;)) and then say "oh i was reading something the other day and it made me think of you!!" ...he he...good luck!

10. katiefranke

good luck!!! I found the 'Look at that' game took us a little while just to get into with maggie and for her to get the concept of what she was supposed to be looking at - and it took us a bit of time to find the right distance away to start so she didnt go past her threshold...but once she started to catch on it progressed really quickly :)

let us know how you get on with it!

so what is luna's issue? is she excited to go greet other dogs so lunges? or does she not like them etc? the good thing is the game works for ANY kind of reactivity :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice