Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Reaction to Booster Vaccination

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by LittleMissTracy, Aug 1, 2020.

1. LittleMissTracy

LittleMissTracy PetForums Newbie

Hi,

We are very worried about our 12 year old Siamese cat Violet. I have tried to keep this as short as possible, but it is still long…

We took Violet for her boosters on Thursday 23rd of July (10 days ago) we brought her home and she didn’t really bother with us that evening. The next morning her right leg and paw had swollen to more than double. We contacted the vet and returned with her. The vet felt that this was a reaction to the vaccination and informed the manufacture of the vaccine, in which they requested (at their cost) bloods to be taken (they came back with nothing out of the ordinary). I had to give Violet Piriton three times a day. Pretty much from the vaccination, Violet has deteriorated a lot that we thought that she was having a return flare up of Pancreatitis.

Violet suffers a lot constipation, irritable bowl disorder, pancreatitis, cystitis and is on a strict special diet along with daily meds, which both my partner and myself manage very well and have done all her life.

Violet became very withdrawn and dopey, which the Piriton may have contributed, but she then started being sick, but as she was not eating she had nothing to throw up. On Monday (27th) we contacted the vet and she suggested reducing the Piriton to two a day and that this is probably the reason she is withdrawn, we stopped the Piriton on the Tuesday. By Wednesday (29th) she had not eaten for over 2 days and was dehydrated, so we took Violet back to the vet and she was put on a drip to hydrate her and gave her some pain relief, she stayed there for two nights. They have been treating her for pancreatitis. Violet came home on Friday morning as the vet said that she was concerned that Violet wouldn’t eat in the hospital as she is stressed and wanted us to try at home.

Violet hates going to the vet as she has had to go many times for the above issues, testing as well as soapy enemas. Violet protests a lot on the journey to the vet, and the cattery.

When the vet rang us yesterday morning, she told us that Violet was brighter but quiet, probably as she doesn’t like being there. When the nurse brought her out to us (outside due to current conditions) she started coughing and it looked pretty clear that she was not doing well. Violet is now hiding under the bed and is not coming out, we don’t know what is wrong with her. Violet isn’t eating, I’ve tried tuna, which she loves, will have a lap of water and is only coming out to use her tray. When we told the vet this, she then suggested that Violet goes on steroid to help increase her appetite for the next 7 days. Both my partner and I have had the dreaded conversation that we think she is suffering and we told the vet this, which she was sympathetic, but she really wanted to try her on the steroid which we have. We fell the vet isn’t really listening to us.

Has anyone had any similar issues with vaccines?

My partner feels that they know that Violet may not recover from this and will lose a cash cow and maybe milking us, I’m hoping they’re not

TIA - Tracy

2. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

I'm sorry your poor girl is feeling so unwell at the moment. I wonder if the vaccination may have reacted with the medication she is on for her other issues. I have to say the dosage of Piriton seems excessive to me which could account for some of her lethargy. It sounds as if your vet is rather guessing what might be wrong and medicating her accordingly. I must say if you don't have confidence in what they are doing or telling you, then if it was me, I would go to another vet for a second opinion.

chillminx and buffie like this.
  3. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I agree with @Charity , I'm a bit concerned by the Piriton dosage too although I have to add that I'm not a vet .
    I also think it may be an idea to ask for a second opinion from a different vet.
    I hope you can find out what has caused this and that your girl recovers well.

chillminx and Charity like this.
  4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@LittleMissTracy - the usual dose of Piriton for a cat is half a tablet a day. So I agree with the others, 3 tablets a day is a big dose!

I have a cat who reacted badly 4 yrs ago year to his booster vaccination (Versifal). Within 24 hours he had become very ill. He refused to eat or drink anything, was seen by the vet and given an appetite stimulant, [which had no effect]. Vet said bring him in next day for IV fluids if he was still not eating or drinking.

My OH went straight out to the supermarket and bought samples of all the different makes of wet cat foods in the store (foods my cat had never eaten). I sat up with my cat all night trying him every half hour with a small amount of each food until I found one he would accept. Once I had got him eating I was very gradually able to increase the amount he would have, and I added water to it too. I knew we had turned a corner once he was eating again, but it was a good few days before he was completely well. It was a scary experience, and he had been as right as rain before his booster.

The following year I changed the make/type of vaccine he is given. He has had Purevax every year for the past 3 years and has been fine. (also he has not had the vaccine for Feline Leukaemia the past 3 years)

buffie and Charity like this.
  5. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

I agree with @chillminx about the leukemia vaccine, I'm convinced this is the troublemaker which causes problems. I haven't let my cats have this vaccine for about ten years or more since one of mine had a bad reaction.

gskinner123 and chillminx like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice