Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Reaction to advocate spot on.

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by sbonnett76, Nov 25, 2012.

1. sbonnett76

sbonnett76 PetForums Senior

Does anyone else's dog start digging the carpet and rolling around after being treated with advocate spot on?

Every month when I treat our rottie she has these mad moments and I wondered if it was irritating her skin. She will settle eventually, but she's very unsettled for a good hour or so after treatment.

I spread the spots out along her back starting from between her shoulders down to the top of her tail so she doesn't have one big spot of treatment.

2. CheddarS

CheddarS PetForums VIP

Yes my chunk is the same so interested in any feedback.

3. 912142

912142 PetForums VIP

It's a chemical and most likely is irritating the skin but I guess there is no way round it - if you have small kids ensure they do not roll around on the carpet after the dog.

4. soulful dog

soulful dog PetForums Senior

I think I'd consider trying a different product if my dog reacted this way?

5. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

On checking it does seem that it can cause temporary itchiness an irritation on some dogs, so this sounds like it coul be the problem

What is the risk associated with Advocate?
    In both cats and dogs the most common side effects are local reactions at the place where the product has been applied, such as temporary itchiness, and on rare occasions, greasy fur and redness of the skin. Vomiting has also occurred rarely.

Advocate - Veterinary medicines - European Drugs Reference Encyclopedia

6. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

The only reaction I get is them running off once they see the pipettes. They hate having to stand still. But no adverse side affects here and I treat 3.

7. archiesmum

archiesmum PetForums VIP

Domino goes mad for about 5 minutes but then the area goes red and he is fine.

Val xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice