Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

re posted: when will my cat give birth?

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by kizzy2010, Jun 24, 2010.

1. kizzy2010

kizzy2010 PetForums Junior

hi all, am new here and this is my first post (well second, put it in wrong place last time lol)
    we adopted a female cat about 2 months ago, we were told she had been spayed, but clearly she wasn't as she was already pregnant when we got her, or fell pregnant shortly after. we didnt have chance to get her spayed as we werent expecting to have to.
    anyway, she is now huge. we can see and feel the kittens moving and kicking inside her. she has become very clingy to me, follows me where ever i go and if im sat down she sits with me. she is sleeping most of the day and has started licking her belly and bits a lot, the fur round her nipples has pretty much gone and they are very swollen and pink.
    she is eating and drinking well and in the last few days has begun to hunt around for a suitable spot. draws, closets etc...
    just wondering if anyone could give me a rough idea of how far along she is or how close to having her babies she is.
    i cant wait, it wasnt planned but im getting really impatient now
    oh, forgot to add, shes also got a bit aggressive towards our other cat, they normally get along really well. but its like shes saying to leave her alone

#1 kizzy2010, Jun 24, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  2. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

It sounds like you have anywhere from and hour to a week.

When you got her did you take her to the vets? If they had picked up the fact she was pregnant then this could have been dealt with by spaying her at the time.

Having said that it is much too late now. Have you had her to the vets since discovering she was pregnant? Just to make sure she is in good health and is not suffering with diseases /parasites/infection.

When my girl was in her last week the babies became visable with movement. So I don't think you have longer than a week to wait.

Do you have everything ready for the birth?

EDIT: one more thing, when you say you 'rescued' her, do you mean from a rescue centre? If so what area do you live in. It would be good to let people know to be cautious of rescue centres not neutering animals before rehoming.

+

With regards to your other cat, it is a wise idea to confine your pregnant cat to a safe room where she has everything she needs away from other pets, and other general noises of a family household. It wont hurt her to do this, you will in fact be giving her some peace and quiet. She may protest to start with, but she will get used to it and will be grateful in the end. It saves you getting problems like one of our other members did the other day when one of her other cats severely injured one of the newborn kittens.

Just make sure you spend lots of time with her, and that you can drop everything and stay with her when the kittens begin their life during birth :)

#2 Aurelia, Jun 24, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  3. kizzy2010

thanks for reply,
    we took her to the vets in the first week of having her and gave her a clean bill of health, he didnt check for pregnancy as he asked if she was neutered and i of course said yes as this is what i was told. she hasnt been to the vets since as she is otherwise in good health.
    i have everything ready for the birth, boxes and blankets at various spots in the house. we have even given her our spare room if she wants it, litter box upstairs and down and food bowls around the beds.
    we didnt get her from a rescue centre we adopted her through a friend of a friend so to speak

4. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

Do you know exactly what date you got her? and the date that you first let her go outside? We might be able to figure out a more accurate date.

5. kizzy2010

we got her on april 29th (just been through my old emails). like i said though, i'm not sure if she was already pregnant or if it happened when we got her. she escaped for a few hours on about day 2 or 3. but then there were no signs of her being in season, no crying or anything like that.

6. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

Well in that case it could be either way. She may well have got pregnant when she escaped from yours, or even just before she came to you. It's a close call. Oh and not all cats actually 'call' some are silent.

7. kizzy2010

well thanks for your help. guess i'll have to just wait and be patient for them to arrive. one more question. when is the earliest point i will be able to get her spayed after the kittens are born?

8. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

The general consensus is around the 8 week mark, once the kittens are fully weaned.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice