Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

re new born piglets born monday morning

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by WENDY517, Jul 15, 2009.

1. WENDY517

WENDY517 PetForums Member

hi
    could anyone help me as i have very little knowledge on guinea pig, my female guiea pig has had three piglets on monday morning, ive seperated the male strait after the birth of piglets.
    could any one let me know how and when to clean the cage without disturbing mother and babys, how ong is it before i clean them out.,
    yours wendy517

2. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

Guinea pigs aren't like hamsters and they are usually fine with cage cleaning and letting you handle their young - they don't eat them like many rodents do.:)

Don't forget to post some piccys of your new arrivals.;)

Also don't forget to remove any male guinea pigs from the litter when they are 3 weeks old or they could breed with their mother.

You would have been better separating the male before she had the piggies because they usually mate again right after the birth so she may be pregnant again unless you actually saw the birth and know that the mating didn't take place.

#2 Jazzy, Jul 15, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
  3. WENDY517

dear jazzy
    I bought a little bottle feeder for piglets
    will it be alright if i put it in the cage although the babies are suckling
    she seems to be fine the young are feeding on garden mint but I am very choosy at this stage of putting different vegetables in.
    I suppose I have to be very careful of what type of veg I introduce to them.
    yes Ive actually parted the male as soon as the female was biting away to the cord to part them she was cleaning the up and i found her chewing the cord, the male was over the other side and did not interfer with her at all.
    but I had to part him.
    hes in the other cage next to her and temporary I had to put him in the big cockatiel cage, they are brother and sister, but the babies are so cute shes being a mum to them.
    I do not really want to part with them after seeing what she went through
    they are over 2 days old they were born at 7-30 Monday morning I happened to be there just after they were born, so the male did not mate with her as she chewed the cord away in front of me and continued to clean the blood up.
    these are the piglet and bramble the mother, bumble is the father.
    they are both in seperate cages now.

Attached Files:

4. WENDY517

here are some photos of bramble and piglets
    will get some of bumble the male.
    yours wendy517

Attached Files:

5. Cavalierlover123

Cavalierlover123 PetForums VIP

aw what pretty piggies!!:D
    My guinea pig had 5 babies saturday night! there so cute!!

6. Neza

Neza PetForums VIP

Awwww, so cute. :)

7. WENDY517

dear neza
    your families are cute, i used to have a dog but i lost him last november, I did not know that I was going to have guinea pig that would have a family,
    I picked 1 up tonight and hold him close to me, he just sat there and bramble the mother did not mind at all, he just relax, Ive never seen amnything so wonderful in my whole life, the way she cleans them,shes certainly a mother to be proud of.
    yours wendy517

8. Neza

Neza PetForums VIP

Baby guinea pigs are a wonderful thing, I completely agree, WENDY517. :)

My Gert had four and for the three weeks I had them it spent hours holding and cuddling them, they would fall asleep on my chest and burble happily when I stroked them behind their ears. I sort of regret only keeping one of them as a friend for the mom, I wished I had kept two, but at least they went to happy homes.

And hand raised pigs can be so friendly, my Truffle is the sweetest piggy on the planet. :D

9. WENDY517

Dear neza
    they are wonderful and so cut, i picked them up or the 1st time yesterday and they are really very small,
    what a lovely name truffles, have you been on Youtube just lately there is a little girt sing about her little piglet truffles it sound so sweet,
    I picked a name for 1 of the boys, I have 1 with black ears just like his father bumble,
    I am going to call the little one humbug, because he looks like the striped humbug sweets we had years ago, i cant think of what to call the other yet, but humbug might be a girl yet.
    yours wendy517
    I will upload some more photos of the piglets soon as they are over 3 days old now!

10. Neza

Neza PetForums VIP

Humbug is an excellent name for a boar. :)

Yes, aren't they fantastic to hold at that age, so small you can fit two side-by-side in one hand and stroke them both at the same time. I used to love doing that. :D

Can't wait to see the new pics. Three days old already, wow, time sure flies when you've got fast growing baby piggies around.

11. CreativeLC

CreativeLC PetForums VIP

Awww they are cute. Its sounds like you are doing the right things with them.

12. toddy

toddy PetForums Senior

Are yousaying the dad of these babies is the brother of the mum?
    If so please do not consider putting these two back together.
    Although it may not be apparent now the babies could have genetic problems later on in life and it is totally irrasponsible breeding.

13. WENDY517

dear naza
    I have a little piglet he or she? comes running to me although shes only 3 days old bramble the mother shows not objection as to holding or feeding the piglets, I do not hold them or no more than a minute a time,so they graduarly get used to being handled, theres one with a little brown face he looks up with amazement, not understanding who we are to them, they are so giving, but I felt so sorry or bumble the male having to be parted from his mate, but it was for her benifit regding her heath,The little black and white one cute too, and so there is another one with a patch on his eye and he all white on his back, im uploading some photos ofthe little piglets and I may put them on pet videos on this site there little cuties, would you please send me some photos of your newborn.
    yours wendy517

14. WENDY517

dear tody
    I was given these two not knowing that they were family,
    I dont want to breed them as they were only pets to me as I had lost my 16+ys old dougal last november, but I dont know such an awful lot about guinea pigs, I do know that these were always together, and I was told by the lady who gave them me that they had never been parted,
    Its a shame but after I had them I did not know that they were brother and sister , but at least i think that, only what ive been told,
    I had to part bumble the male because of the breeding process of course not through my fault, I have looked at them there all fine but bumble is in the other cage, if I put him in he may kill the young or even breed with her, it would not be fair on her, but mistake are made in this life not that i wanted it to happen,
    yours wendy 517
    if you can tell me anything regarding the guinea pigs i would be grateful.

15. Neza

Neza PetForums VIP

That's great that they are already running to see you and be picked up. That little girl sounds so sweet, I wish I could hold them. :D

It's too bad about Bumble, but you can't keep him with the girls anymore, not if he isn't neutered.

And I'm sorry if I misunderstood, but did you ask me to post some pics here of my newborn pigs?

16. WENDY517

dear neza
    yes i would like to see them on photo if possible,
    im sorry for bumble being on his own, but do you think that in a way it sounds cruel to have a animal put under anasetic to have him nuewted, I really dont know if bumble was a brother to bramble only what ive been told.
    It made me think tonight thinking about it whether bumble is the brother, but i cant prove it, but if he is, do you honestly think that these little piglets will be ok.
    they looked ok and were all feeding happily, but sometimes we dont look at these occurences as to what went wrong through the process of mating,
    I suppose that when i got them that bamble was having her young then.
    well its really to late to think a bout it now but there so cute and they may be quite healthy.
    i know that animals are different to people,
    I have no guilty concience for they have come to someone who is kind,
    Im not breeding them, but only wanted them for a pet,
    my house if full of pets and there as old as 15yrs old most of them.
    they have lived a good healthy life and they would not of lasted this long without constant care.
    dear neza,
    how old will the babie be when they stop weaning of the mother,
    do you also think that after 3 week after judging what they are, will i be able to put girls with moth and boys with father?
    yours wendy517

17. Neza

Neza PetForums VIP

I'm not saying you have to get Bumble neutered, sorry if it came across like that, just that you can't keep him with girls any longer. The piglets should be okay if their parents are related, the danger with inbreeding comes if you keep doing it, you get genetic problems and the such.

You have to remove the male pigs from the mom and sisters at three weeks. The girls might still drink from the mom for a little while after that but they don't have to. My Truffle weaned at four weeks, for example. You can try putting a male in with the father at that point and see how it goes with careful supervision. But males should only be kept in pairs, in my experience. Girls though, you can have as many together as you like. :)

Here are the newborn pics of mine that you asked for:

Here is brand-new mommy Gertrude and her litter, just twenty minutes after she had them...

[​IMG]

There were four little piggies, all cute as can be, none looked like their mom, they were multi-colored while she was a solid Golden Agouti. There was a brown and white one:

[​IMG]

And an orange brown and white baby:

[​IMG]

This one was also the same three colors, but as you can see in a very different way:

[​IMG]

And this one appeared to be mostly black with little patches of orange here and there...

[​IMG]

The black one is Truffle, the girl I kept. The orange stripe became a collar around her neck. :)

18. WENDY517

Dar neza
    your picture of your young piglet are lovely, they certainly, I think resemble mum, how did you go on with the boar, has he been seperated at this stage, or did you leave hom with the sow?
    they do seem to resemble one another , you can tell the breed as well.
    aparently bumble the male is a dutch, but I would not say that bramble apears to look the same as he, she could be another breed, i dont really know, she is 3 different colours chestnut brown/ black and white, but that is not a pure dutch gueinea pig, althought I possitive that bumble and bramble were not interbred and i have not intention of doing so at any stage.
    the dutch guinea pig s usually [email protected] wht, although bramble couldbe a sister to bumble but they do look total different, they were born on the 9th january this year, would you even bother if they were family bro and sis at tis stage, cant do nothing about it now, I dont suppose that its no good getting alarmed about it, although ive heard many people inbreed animals to perfection, but i would not even temt to do such a thing because of the outcome of it all.
    Im concerned, but its a little to early , to do anything which i cant alter what is,
    the piglet look ok
    theres no way of finding out earlier if there was any defect in the young.
    1 looks like his father lk and wht with black ears with brwn down the end of the body
    and 1s got a brown patch on his face, the the 3rd has got two different kinds a brown on his face, he looks like a razorback, a proper little hog, maybe he a boar?
    they seem to have colourations of both parents and they look very perfect so far in there genetic colours.
    yours wendy517
    I really dont mind any1 giving me advice on this what i know very little about.
    I wil post photos of piglets soon.

19. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

Be careful to only feed small amounts of veg at this age in case it upsets their tummies.:) Make sure they have some good quality hay though as hay is a big part of a guinea pigs diet, and fresh water at all times.

20. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

Awww they are thoroughly gorgeous.:001_wub::001_wub::001_wub::001_wub: :001_wub:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice