Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

re MRSA: new antibiotic passes tolerance-test...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by leashedForLife, Jun 4, 2010.

1. leashedForLife

New antibiotic proves safe and well tolerated

hopefully it does not create as many problems as it solves...
    and it is used with discretion, ONLY on *mrsa* patients.

if the bloody Ag-Biz livestock industry starts adding it to feedstocks, we will be in a helluva pickle.
    medical-protocols to limit its use should be written before its release, IMO -
    ensuring that it isn;t handed out for headcolds, as penicillin once was. :thumbdown:

but for humans + animals attacked by MRSA, this is promising.
    --- terry

2. Maiisiku

Maiisiku Banned

But for how long. The whole problem was because they got too reliant on antibiotics and then the staphlacocus aureas (spelling grr) became resistant. So if they use it, it may only become a tempoary solution.

3. leashedForLife

and if they don;t use it at all, ppl and animals with serious infections can die.

like i said- OVER-use especially in animal-ag, i.e. livestock rearing for slaughter + egg production or dairy,
    was what created resistance - limiting use to actual cases, greatly reduces RESISTANCE developing. ;)

how many readers use ** anti-bacterial SOAP? ** well, stop -
    studies have shown it cleans no better than ordinary cleansers, and it speeds antibiotic resistance...
    AND it fouls our waterways with antibiotics.

did U think sewage treatment removed them? think again... drugs are everywhere, downstream + in our
    ponds, lakes + streams.

inter-sex fish are one result of birth-control pills - MALE fish with eggs.
    we have committed many environmental sins - not cleaning our waste-water is right near the top, IMO.
    by *clean* i mean, as clean as it was BEFORE we used it.

--- terry

4. stephwiggy

stephwiggy PetForums Junior

Well, i hope it is ued in the right way - i have had mrsa twice !! :eek:

i was very ill for a long time .. and i am due surgery again soon so time will tell x

5. Maiisiku

Maiisiku Banned

Of course it's great if it works. However, if they over use it and they become resistant again it's not going to be good. They still hand out amoxcilyn like candy.

6. leashedForLife

hey, siku! :--)
    if doctors are doing this, Complain - no physician with a brain should hand-out antibiotics w/o *some* idea
    of which organism they are treating; a simple stained wet-slide can often narrow down the possibilities.

if they don;t know what gram-neg, staph, et-al, LOOK like, then the medical staff needs a refresher course.
    sputum samples, throat samples, pus-smears, etc, can be very simple but valuable-info to help determine Rx.
    i wish U good health, hun,
    --- terry

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice