Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Re-Homing Ex Battery Hens

Discussion in 'Poultry Chat' started by bluebell, Jul 17, 2008.

1. bluebell

bluebell PetForums Newbie

Hi folks - I'm new to forum (have just posted in introductions!).

I know there are a lot of people interested in, or have in the past, rehomed ex-battery hens.

There is a new website which may be of interest to anyone thinking about offering a home to these lovely ladies. It is:

North London Hen Rescue

I help to co co-ordinate in the South Yorkshire area.

I myself have 6 ex-batts, various hybrids and purebreed poultry. They are such fun to keep and always have a lovely supply of eggs (YUM!).

2. mrsdusty

mrsdusty Guest

Do you need a lot of space to keep these birds?

3. bluebell

When you consider what room they have had in the battery, even a small run can feel like a luxury!!

Seriously, we started with our first 7 ex-batts about three years ago, their first original run was about 12 metres by 12 metres. We did go on to extend it somewhat. But you can quite happily keep 3 or 4 hens in a small back garden.

4. bluebell

Oh, have just re-read my original post sounds like I've only got 6 hens - I've currently got 22 at present.

5. pollyolly

pollyolly PetForums Newbie

Hi there, I wonder if I could just tell anyone out there that I know of a trust who has managed to get a hold of some ex free range laying hens and is looking to home more. They are in the aberdeenshire area and I know there are a lot of people in Scotland who are looking for ex laying birds. I got some today and although they are a little bit baldy, they are in reasonably good condition. These hens are only to go to homes as pets and for eggs.

6. The lady at our local shop rehomes battery hens, she never stops talking about them and I want some, she has given them all names and says they are so funny, she told me that when she first had them she used to have to put them to bed in the coup everynight as they did not know what to do.
    regards
    sue

7. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

The Woman who owns our stables has just bought 4 chickens.. I have never been lover of chickens and don't think I ever will.. My kids want some now. Dreading her letting them out.. and them having free range...

8. bluebell

Don't worry you will hardly notice 4 hens. Now if it had been 44!:)

I have to admit if you had told me ten years ago how much I would love keeping hens I would have told you no way!! We have a horse as well.

9. poultry

poultry PetForums Newbie

hi my name is callum and we were lookin for four ex battery hens but do not know were to get some if u could help please do.

10. poultry

poultry PetForums Newbie

if u could sell me some it would be great we have got everything we need for them ready.we would love it because we have tried everywere we live in lanark scotland

11. poultry

poultry PetForums Newbie

if u could help me get some it would be great we tried everywhere and can not find any atol plz help

12. poultry

poultry PetForums Newbie

would you know the address and phone number plz write back

13. TortMad

TortMad PetForums Junior

I love my ex batts girls :)

14. archiebaby

archiebaby PetForums VIP

we have chickens and ducks and it is so lovely to go down in morning and get your fresh eggs for breakfast!:) one of our hens is currently sitting on 14 eggs so hopefully little chicks soon, i cant wait:D

15. Lily's Mum

Lily's Mum Banned

When we move, we are going to get some chickens - fresh eggs and a great fertiliser for the garden!!

16. pollyolly

pollyolly PetForums Newbie

Ex Free Range Girls - Moray, Aberdeenshire and Rosshire

Hi there, We have very limited time to rehome some girls from a free range farm. If anyone in the north east highlands is looking to adopt some girls, please get in touch. We have arranged pick up points in Moray, Aberdeenshire and Rosshire. The girls are just over 1 year old, a bit underweight but with some good food and loving they will soon bloom into lovely ladies. A donation would be very much appreciated. Thankyou. Contact details - Pauline 01542 888266 or email another_rescued_chicken@yahoo.com

17. mivona

mivona PetForums Newbie

I have two ex-bats which have integrated with my previous two hens in an Eglu. I was very kindly lent another Eglu to enable them to acclimatise to their new environment. I let them free-range with my other hens during the day, and they went to their separate Eglus at night. When I found one of my other hens in with them one evening, I reckoned they were ready to be put into one Eglu. They had a few scraps, but it was pretty minor and they all live happily together now.

When I first got the ex-bats, they just stood around a lot, and pecked at completely inappropriate stuff - the wire, the eglu, etc... and I had to show them where the food was. It took awhile for them to work out that they could come out. They didn't scratch and peck the ground for food. But, after awhile, they became normal chickens again. Only one of them appears to be laying, having been with me now since November, and their eggs are much smaller than my other hens. But they are lovely, funny birds.

18. lyd119

lyd119 PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

we are planning to get 4 ex batts very soon.
    I noticed there were lots of people asking where they could get ex battery hens, so, here are some of the rescues you can contact.

Little Hen Rescue - Home they currently need 10,000 hens rehoming before 29th June.

Free At Last- "FREE AT LAST!"

Battery Hen Welfare Trust- Battery Hen Welfare Trust

North London Hen Rescue- www.henrehomers.net

Cambridgeshire Hen Rescue - Cambridgeshire Hen Rescue

Hope this all helps.

Lydia

19. 3 red dogs

3 red dogs PetForums VIP

I'm sorry for this post but i canny resist!

I knew you could get homing pigeons, but no one ever mentioned Homing Hens!!

Sorry!

20. lyd119

lyd119 PetForums Newbie

and here is a great forum that has loads of friendly members that is based on giving you advice on keeping ex battery hens. you can ask any questions and they will be more than happy to help!!

Ex Battery Hens Forum

Lydia

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice