Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

re-call training on long line

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by mum2three, May 20, 2010.

1. mum2three

mum2three PetForums Junior

Ok, I'm starting from scratch with my 6 month GSP.

After he proved himself to be disobedient when distracted off his lead I stopped letting him off. To make myself feel better I used a 15 ft retractable lead thinking it gave him some freedom to rome and a bit extra exercise. I have now realised that all I have done is let me pup think that while we are out he is pack leader. He often uses the full 15 ft and still pulls infront of me and of course often pulls my arm out of the socket when he suddenly takes of to the side.

I tried practicing re-call on the 15 ft lead and some of the time he came to me and sat perfectly but a lot of the time he completely blanked me and just went and sniffed the grass or tried to pull me to walk again, which ended up getting me annoyed so I gave up.

Now I have decided to only use a short lead and make him walk to heel slightly behind me (which he has settled very quickly into). I also take a long line with me to use in a field to train re-call, fetch etc.

Tried the long line for the first time today. Playing fetch he'd chase the ball then drop it and go eat some sheep poo. With re-call he just looked away wandered off and ate some more poo (I am training him to "leave" sheep/horse/fox poo, he just grabs the opportunity when I've not noticed:eek:) . This is a recent step backward with re-call. He was never perfect before but he responded a lot better than this. I don't know if my patients has just worn too thin, or if he has lost respect, maybe its both. Any advice on this would be greatfully received.

2. healpro

healpro PetForums Junior

Not sure I can offer advice but I can commiserate!
    My nearly 5 month GSP has gone from near perfect recall to ignoring me when he feels like it! He also eats horse/deer poo in the forest.
    Stubborn little horrors aren't they?
    We are also getting nowhere with loose leash training, does it perfectly at home but get him outside and it all goes to pot. He pulls like a steam train:eek6:

3. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

If he ignores your first recall command, pick the lead up and walk in the opposite direction. This means he has to come to you and reward him once he's beside you. Keep repeating this until he recalls on first recall command. Do not repeat the command as you'll teach him to ignore it. Don't stand any nonense either, if he ignores you, pick up the lead and walk. Pull him away from any interesting spot, he should be concentrating on you and follow you. Once he is recalling well, start hiding from him and recalling and running away from him and recalling to make yourself unpredictable.

Good luck!!! :D It is hard work!

4. theevos5

theevos5 PetForums VIP

Hi We use a long line and when Alfie is too far ahead or has switched off we walk the other way as we have sussed him out now and he ALWAYS like to be ahead of us sometimes slightly,sometimes massively,when we turn around he always comes running up and then past us to get back in the front,so we have been working on the stop command to get him to stop at certain points.As 7 pets said,it is hard work.
    Regarding the flexi lead,I have it with Alfie now that when I feel he has gone far enough or is starting to pull too hard I stop dead and he automatically sits now,this gives me time to reel him in and keep him to heel,once he has gained enough trust again,out with lead for freedom,

Dealing with horse poo,we have been teaching the leave command by randomly dropping socks,slippers,anything really that he loves,right by his nose when he is lying down and giving a firm leave,then rewarding him with treats.We can now walk past horsey poo and give the command and he is leaving it.

5. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

When you call him back to you reward him for this? Try using some treats that are particulary tasty or a toy that he loves, anything that will encourage him to WANT to come back to you.
    Make sure you are calling him back when you are sure he will respond to you, not when he is sniffing around or interested in something else (sheep poo - lovely!! ) so you are setting him to succeed.
    I don't think he's trying to be pack leader, he's probably just excited to be out & wants to race ahead to see what's going on. Are you using a flexi or a long line? If you're using a flexi I would stop for a while as all that is teaching him is that by pulling he will get ahead, if you get a long line you can let out the line when you want to.
    When I started with my dog I used wthe word HERE, followed by a clicker (we use clicker training alot), then his reward. Try to be consistent with the word you use to indicate you want him to come back but as suggested don't keep sayying it as it will lose it's meaning.
    I would practise calling him back a few times during your walk but don't overdo otherwise he'sll get fed up.
    Recall IS difficult, I'm still trying to master it. My dog is fine until he see small animals then he's off :eek: so we still practise every day - some days good & some bad. It's not easy at all, you'll find alot of posts on here regarding recall.
    Do you go to obedience classes? it might be worth doing this aswell as recall isn't just about your dog listening to one command (although it is very important) it's about their overall relationship with you & your ability to work with your dog. Good luck!

6. mum2three

I ended up pull him in with the lead yesturday (in frustration), I'm guessing he picked up on my emotion which made him even less responsive. A bit difficult to get him from interesting things where we were. There was poo every where and sheep nearby. I think I'll try another less interesting spot today. It was also close to a fenced wood area where I take him to run loose, so I think he might have been wanting to go in there. I will deffinately give your suggestions a go and try to keep calm and in control.

7. mum2three

Yeah, Luke is good with the leave command too. When we are out for a walk I may have to bark leave at him a couple of times but he gets the message and starts ignoring the poo. Yesturday was like he was determind to defy everything I said to him. If I caught about to eat and said "leave it" he did but he'd go to another bit and try and grab it before I realised, crafty **:rolleyes::

8. mum2three

We bought a clicker ages ago and still haven't got around to using it, I'm going to have to learn how to use it and give it a go. Also had him training on gundog whistle but I've kind of let that slide at the moment because he seemed to stop responding so well. I always have treats and a ball or something with me (actually I have three in my bag at the moment). I finally joined a local training club two weeks ago (took me ages to get the guts to go there on my own for the first time). Luke has so far been completely nuts the whole time we are there because he's not used to being around lots of dogs and people. No a possitive note though I have been impressed at how much he focuses on me and listens in the class with all the distractions(he's great in the house). When we all walk in a circle he's a bit nuts but he does stop and sit and focus on me when I ask and he does down and stay great. Getting him to sit and wait while I go through a door first has also been great.
    There seems to be so much to think of it makes my head spin thinking where to start:eek:.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice