Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Rawhide?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by AggyB, Sep 25, 2020.

1. AggyB

AggyB PetForums Newbie

Hi All,

So we have been giving our 7mnth old rescue Rawhide chews - he loves them and we were thinking we were being good.

He has had funny coughing, especially in a morning (sounds Kennel Cough like but without the hack) for a while (vets appt next week). But this evening he has had a quite large vomit of undigested food and a large piece of rawhide!

Just looking for others experience and advice (reassurance), as am now concerned after reading up on (damn Google) and haven't seen any rawhide in his stools.

TIA

2. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Hello if it was me I would be pushing for an earlier appointment to put your mind at rest if nothing else.

AggyB likes this.
  3. AggyB

AggyB PetForums Newbie

I'd booked the appointment prior to the vomit, it was the earliest they had unfortunately.

I definitely won't be giving him any more though. He's otherwise well in himself and his behaviour hasn't changed and he's happy and playful and the vomit didn't seem to bother him

4. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

I agree have a word with a vet .

As for rawhind, I never gave them to my dogs, they can be dangerous, if they swallow chucks of them they can get caught in the bowel and twist so that would mean a operation to remove it, in extreme cases they can kill.

5. AggyB

AggyB PetForums Newbie

So we saw the vet and it's likely not Kennel Cough and not related to the rawhide.

He does have some irritation though that may have been exacerbated by the rawhide/food so he has some antibiotics anyway and some linctus for if his cough distresses him.

Still think I'm going to withhold rawhide though in preference of other alternatives

Burrowzig likes this.
  6. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

One good reason not to allow rawhide is that some of it (mainly from China I believe) is bleached. With bleach. Bleach is not supposed to be ingested. And as said above, it can get stuck.

7. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Rawhide is the Devil's Work, in my opinion.

It passes through the digestive system in a 'gluey' ball.

One of my Sister's Cavaliers came within an ace of choking to death when a lump of rawhide got stuck in his throat.

I wouldn't have it in my house.

8. AggyB

AggyB PetForums Newbie

Yeah I definitely won't be giving it to him again

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice