Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Rawhide chews

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Emraa, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Emraa

Emraa PetForums Senior

Bella loves her rawhide and I do too - it keeps her occupied for hours and ideal when she needs something to chew on.
    However, how many should I allow her to have? Are they bad for her in any way? I give her a big rawhide 'shoe' a few times a week and it will keep her occipied for around 2 hours and then there isn't a bit left! She loves them but I am worried they mbe difficult for her to digest as sometimes she swallows quite big bits!
    :confused:

2. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

they can be a choking hazard also i believe the imported ones carry salmonella.

3. Emraa

Emraa PetForums Senior

I never let her have them unsupervised, but the salmonella is a bit concerning...

4. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

I will not allow my dogs to have them as quite a few dogs have died by choking on them

juliec

5. Nickb

Nickb PetForums Newbie

salmonella?so is that just a myth or a proven fact :blushing: yeah i was abit worried about the whole digesting thing but my dog loves them too

6. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

I used to give them to Arran but had a few scares when I had to put my hand down his throat to pull it out, one of my sister's friends lost a dog to one of these things, the dog didn't choke but somehow the hide had moulded itself around the dogs throat and rotted.

Terri

7. Nickb

Nickb PetForums Newbie

8. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

I think pet shops should be stopped selling them, as they are horrible

juliex

9. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

no its true im afraid. ive just copied this but theres lots more info on the internet....

Raw Hide is bad for your Dogs

If there is one product I'm contacted about more than anything else it has to be this killer.
    Small pieces can get stuck in your Dog's throat, and if they manage to swallow it, they cannot digest them. Rawhide comes from the beef industry and is made from the inner layer of the animal's hide. The hide is cleaned by tumbling in huge drums in most cases with hydrogen peroxide.

Apart from the risk of getting stuck in the dogs throat, or undigested in the tummy, they may also be contaminated with insect eggs and salmonella. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in North America recently issued a public health warning following reports of human illness following the handling of these dog chew products, they even warn they should not be handled by children

When the rawhide gets wet from the stomach juices, it swells to twice its normal size causing serious stomach blockage. Soft and slick rawhide can also become a choking hazard.

10. Nickb

Nickb PetForums Newbie

aw dont tell me that i gave him not too long ago he pretty much ate most of it infact he may have eaten all of it i'd have to check and his poo's been a little funny looking today :eek:hmy: hopefully nothing serious!will have to see what happens

11. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Mine have the white rawhide from Hollings, and have done for over a decade.

Never had a problem, and my vet thinks its one of the reasons they have very clean and healthy teeth.

There are risks with all sorts of things, you just have to weigh up the pros and cons.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice