Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Raw whilst camping

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by the melster, Mar 30, 2011.

1. the melster

the melster PetForums Senior

We are camping for 2 weeks (first week on electric) in the middle of nowhere at Flyball tournaments at Easter. I know a cool box would work to a certain extent but how do you cope on a longer trip?

2. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I was talking to agility raw feeders about this a while back - they said you have to restock at a frozen raw supplier every 2 - 3 days if you have a good coolbox that you can run off a battery, or a caravan fridge. Failing that, it's daily trips to butchers or supermarkets.

3. Jonesey

Jonesey PetForums VIP

Our pet store sells freeze dried raw, but it's expensive.

4. JohnT

JohnT PetForums Junior

You could try Ziwi Peak its like jerky, I think it's 3 x times volume so a 5 kg bag is same as 15 kg bag. I had some treats at crufts which were a bargain.
    Not fed the food, see if you can get a sample:)

5. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

I don't feed raw but many friends do and I think quite a lot of them switch to Naturediet or something similar when they are camping.

6. Blondie

Blondie PetForums VIP

My mate went camping last summer and was ultra-organised. Once they'd booked into the camp, she went googling and found out where all the local butchers and supermarkets were so she could stock up easily the whole time she was away.

I tend to only go away for one overnight stay and take chicken wings for the doglets.

7. dvnbiker

dvnbiker PetForums Senior

I tend to take mince to do the first few days in a cool box as it takes a long while to defrost in it then go onto chicken wing or locate the nearest PAH and use the prize choice for the last few days.

8. SixStar

SixStar Banned

This is the very reason mine are part kibble, part BARF fed. We go away in the caravan alot and I simply couldn't manage BARF for 5 dogs in a caravan, so they get swapped onto kibble for the time we're away, and then back into usual routine when we return (BARF one day, kibble the next).

9. Horse and Hound

Horse and Hound PetForums VIP

Mine are half and half so I'd prob switch to skinnes/hi life fully whilst we are away and then get them the odd bit from the supermarket when we stocked up for our own food.

10. the melster

the melster PetForums Senior

Thanks for the replies. I tried switching to half and half as I knew we would be going away but it didn't suit my two and I went back to full raw. I've found the nearest pets at home and butcher already so should be able to manage through. I just didn't want to struggle and then everyone to say .. oh you should have got one of these :blink:

11. dvnbiker

dvnbiker PetForums Senior

If I am really stuck I use wainwrights complete wet trays as I find my lot will swop over to that easily and much better than kibble although their poos then double in size overnight.

12. Horse and Hound

Horse and Hound PetForums VIP

To be fair if you have a cool box, the minces should be ok in there for a day or so. Once defrosted they can be kept refrigerated for up to 24 hours.

And if push comes to it, you could always cook them to kill any bacteria you were worried about.

When we go camping for a weekend, our food manages in a cool box for the 2 nights so pretty sure dogs food would.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice