UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
My dog is 8kg.
Ive looked quickly,in to getting raw.
The sites I have seen,seem to start at dogs 15kg.
So does this mean Raw is best suited for medium and larger breeds?
And is it to be fed once a day?

G

·
I know others will comment but I just wanted to say I don't see raw feeding as size exclusive. I also don't see 8kg as small!

·
Banned
12,847 Posts
My 7 kg dog is raw fed - and he eats no differently to his brothers, who weigh between 30 and 80 kg! ;)

I feed them twice a day - whether you feed once or twice is up to you.

·
Registered
12,225 Posts
It's cheaper for small dogs - a friend of mine has two Cresties and a Pap that she feeds raw too. And £30 does her two months I believe. £30 does me 3 weeks :(

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Seems like a headache cutting it all up,into small pieces,having to weigh it out.I dont think my knives are sharp enough
If he was bigger,it would be easier to do:D

·
Banned
12,847 Posts
Seems like a headache cutting it all up,into small pieces,having to weigh it out.I dont think my knives are sharp enough
I cut nothing up for my Westie - he has teeth, I'm not doing the work for him!

He makes his way through pig heads, slabs of lamb ribs, trotters, whole rabbits, sheep heads, whole mackerels, huge chunks of tripe, you name it. Nothing is cut into pieces for him - he is given the whole large item, allowed to eat his portion, and then it's taken away again and put in the freezer for next time. I don't weigh anything either - I feed by eye, and know roughly what my dogs need to eat during the course of a day to keep them at a nice lean weight.

My little one, the Westie, started on raw at six weeks old, when he weighed just 900 grams.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
8kg isnt a small dog! ;)
I feed my 3 on both kibble and raw; they weigh between 5lbs and 9lbs. It's incredibly easy once you've been feeding a few weeks, I usually just fling a chicken wing each at them and leave them to it- seems it works well!

·
Registered
12,925 Posts
sorry couldnt resist sharing some pics
puppy crested, he weighs about 1.6kg i think

and even younger here

percy

rocky

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
i occasionally give either lamb ribs or pork ribs (butchers are tight gits where i live i rarely get lamb ribs so get the pork ribs from asda) and my 7 month chiweenie (weighs about 6lbs) enjoys them :) my dachshunds (one weighs 12lbs and the other about 9lbs) they also love rib night

·
Registered
137 Posts
Mine are 9kg and they love it on raw. Chicken wings are ideal for us, cause it's more bone which they need and one wing=one meal, plus I can buy it cheap at CK's and just bag it up at home.

I also buy chickens (3 for £7-10 etc) and chop up. I cut it up into wings, legs, breasts (sometimes I save these for us humans!), and cut the carcass into 2 or 4 bits depending on size. On bigger birds I divide the legs into drum stick and thigh. Instead of getting the sizes just right for each meal, I give either two even meals, or if I have a large leg or carcass piece, I give that and just a smaller meal (e.g. offal) for the other meal of the day.

I got a pair of poultry sheers which I highly recommend! They have made everything so much easier and quicker.

·
Registered
23,249 Posts
I usually just fling a chicken wing each at them and leave them to it- seems it works well!
That sounds like my house!:D The Chi's are both under 3kgs and manage fine with their raw, although alot of the bones people feed are too much for them to handle TBH.
Mine tend to have a little cube of mince in the mornings and half a chicken wing/quarter of a lambs heart with a little piece of liver or kidney for tea.
You get used to roughly how much to be feeding after a while.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Knives are a faff, get some good kitchen scissors and you can just cut through meat and bone alike.
My pups were raised straight onto raw and they were no more than 1kg when they started to eat raw so 8 kg will be a doddle.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
My little guy is 5kg and fed raw. He didn't have his first raw meal til he was 8 years old and managed just fine. He eats exactly the same as the girls, just a lot less. His food costs next to nothing, hardly noticable in the grand scale of things.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.