Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Raw to kibble

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Mrs_B, Oct 22, 2020.

1. Mrs_B

Mrs_B PetForums Newbie

I’m really struggling with keeping up with the price of raw for my guys how is the best way to transfer over to kibble? Iv read not to do a slow transition as it can cause tummy problems?
    No bashing please I want the best for my dogs but I just cannot keep up with the cost of raw at the minute. Thank you for any help

2. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

My dogs both have iron guts and I don't ever transition slowly. They sometimes eat raw, sometimes eat kibble, sometimes home cooked, and it can vary from meal to meal. Yesterday they ate something dead and disgusting in the woods :rolleyes:

If they're generally fine with different foods, I wouldn't worry. You can add some raw to their kibble (yes, you can mix raw and kibble), or just switch cold turkey. If they really love their raw, they may turn their nose up at kibble, and some wet topper might help.

Happy Paws2 likes this.
  3. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Are you buying ready prepared raw - would you consider DIY? if you can get friendly with a local butcher they will have random meat reaching its use by date that could be pretty cheap.

4. fffd

fffd PetForums Junior

Be guided by your dog. As has been said, some can cope with changes easily, others need a bit of time. As you are changing from raw to dry food and finance is an issue, consider having a look at Markus Muhle NaturNah. It can be found on Zooplus and Bitiba. This is cold pressed food and it is said to be suitable for raw fed dogs. It is good quality food at a very reasonable price. There is detailed information about transition to cold pressed food on the Guru Pet Food website.

#4 fffd, Oct 23, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
  5. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

I dont ever transition slowly either, just like O2.0. I changed my dogs from full time raw to kibble in a day, and that was it. If I buy a new brand of kibble, I dont change that slowly either. My dogs have always had such a varied diet that nothing much upsets their stomachs.

niamh123 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice