Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Raw to Go

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Sorcha, Jun 5, 2010.

1. Sorcha

Sorcha PetForums Senior

Today we went to buy some raw mince from Raw to go in Abergavenny for the first time.
    Unfortunately Lesley wasn't there since she was out delivering, but we were helped really well all the same.
    The meat looks fantastic and the price is very good.
    This time we only bought lamb and beef mince, but next time I'm going to try some rabbit for the kitties. I'm really pleased we found such a great supplier of food for our cats in Wales :thumbup:

2. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Oh wow - happy times for your cat brood! Have your cats helped you unpack and tried it yet?

3. Sorcha

Sorcha PetForums Senior

Yes they did help, but that was mostly because we'd bought some steak for ourselves :lol:
    The Raw to go food was still frozen solid so they're getting that tomorrow :)
    Have to get some taurine first, so I'll get them prawns for tommorrow :)
    Today we're using up our Darlings stock.

4. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Ooh let me know how they like it! The price is quite persuasive! Considering how many sheep there are in Wales can you get your hands on some heart?

5. Sorcha

Sorcha PetForums Senior

Yes I have somewhere I can buy nice lamb hearts :)
    Not the Tesco ones, because they had been frozen before.

6. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

I had an interesting chat with someone on a raw feeding group and they said that freezing doesn't diminish the taurine as much as processing does. So there will be more taurine in frozen whole heart than minced heart.
    I had a look for stuff and I couldn't find any proper research on the detrimental effect of freezing on taurine but loads on what happens when you cook or mince or do other things.

7. Sorcha

Sorcha PetForums Senior

That's good news really, because than I can buy more and freeze them myself. I don't mince them, but cut them up in quite large chunks. Hope that's okay though.

8. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Hello, it is about surface area apparently - so, whole is better than chunks which are better than minced which are loads better than none :D

I think it has do to with the damage to the tissue as well as the increased area for bacteria to attack when minced. But that could just be complete pseudo-science. :eek:

I will investigate why when I get time unless someone else happens along in the meantime to clarify....

Right, there don't appear to be any studies that simply compare taurine in unprocessed meat before and after freezing. So here are a couple that seem to speak on the topic indirectly:
    http://www.nofima.no/en/publication/1395FC4112565E08C125755B004D8A57 on seafood and processing (mincing vs whole muscle)
    http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/abstract/120/9/995 - indirect info on freezing

Interestingly, I can only find references to taurine denaturing! or depleting during freezing on raw feeding sites, that mention "research" that has shown such an effect. However, they don't give any citations. Hmmm.

#8 hobbs2004, Jun 5, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  9. Sorcha

Sorcha PetForums Senior

Thanks for all your investigations Hobbs :)
    It's so very interesting to learn all about this. Can't imagine now there once was a time when we fed our cats Felix and Whiskers.

Fortunately our cats love raw to go's meat. Can't wait for them to get the rabbit next time.
    I will just be adding taurine powder to all their bowls and give the lamb heart chunks as big as they want them and of course prawns. Some of our cats seem to really like the prawn shells as well and just eat them whole. They seemed soft enough for them to do so. For the others I just peel them.
    Hopefully we'll be able to get a separate freezer for the cat food, cause I don't have any room left to stock chicks now. I had to get some of our own stuff out of the freezer to make room for the cat's meat :lol:
    Well, who needs bread anyway ;)

10. saxa21

saxa21 PetForums Member

I am thinking of switching my boys to raw, pouches in the morning and raw in the evening.

The only thing I observed is that they have terrible runny tums while they eat it.

Also I gave them white raw fish to eat and they turned they noses at it wrrrrrrr

11. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

They have got runny tums when they eat raw? What and how much are you feeding them? Are they ok if you only feed them whiskas?

12. saxa21

saxa21 PetForums Member

Suprisingly they tums are ok after whiskers or bozita.

I did give them raw chicken breast (diced) as well as chicken wings....Stopped the wings are my kitchen floor would be smeared all over.

Also i sometimes buy organic lean mince and it makes one vomit (but it's just as he is far tooo greedy).

What quantities do you suggest feeding raw. I also bough taurine paste.

13. Fizzy12

Fizzy12 PetForums Member

Where will you be getting your taurine powder and how much will you be adding to the food? Just want to make sure I get everything right. :)

14. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

If you only want to feed raw food to your cats as a treat (i.e. less than 20% of their food a week), then you can just get whatever meat takes your fancy - chicken breast, thigh; lamb, beef, venison, rabbit - whatever meat you can get your hands on. Chop it up into chunks and feed it or get minces. And heart is a great source of taurine (an essential amino acid for cats). Also uncooked as the heating process destroys taurine. Offal is also great - kidney, spleen, lung, a little liver (not too much or it gives runny poop but it is full of Vitamin A). As long as you don't cook them then you can also give them bones from small animals such as quail, cornish game as well as chicken wings.

You can replace 2 meals easily per week (people generally say up to 20%; so if you feed 2 meals a day over 7 days then that would be 3 meals). An average size cat (4kg) can easily eat 60g of raw a meal so 120g a day. One typically says that a cat can eat 2 -3% of its weight in raw food a day. A kitten can it as much as it wants.

If you just want to feed them raw full-stop or for half their meals, then it becomes slightly more complicated. Then you will need to try to mimic the ratio of a prey animal (typically a mouse), which would consist of 80 muscle meat (including heart and stomach), 10% bone and 10% offal (of which about 5% liver). And in this case, bone is an absolute must – calcium is pretty non-negotiable otherwise you can create some real problems for your cat. Raw meaty bones, ground bones, eggshells or calcium supplements are a must in the right proportion. Bones also bung cats up - so the ratio to raw meat is crucial to make sure you don't create runny tums or constipation!

A lot of people make the first step of feeding completely raw by buying pre-prepared minces while they get their head around the ingredients of raw feeding.

Sorry for the long post :eek:

15. Fizzy12

Fizzy12 PetForums Member

Do you know if the meats from raw to go contain the required amount of bone? My cats just will not eat whole bones. :(

16. Sorcha

Sorcha PetForums Senior

I will be getting the taurine powder through Lesley from Raw to Go. She can get a good deal on it. I don't know how much I'm going to pay yet, but it's going to be much cheaper than the pet's version.
    I'm not quite sure about how much I'm going to add, but I've read 100 mg per cat is about right. That's about 1/8 tsp. I'm still trying to find more info on this amount, to see if more is better.
    If you need it before Lesley can get it, this is the link someone here gave me for cheaper taurine Taurine from Myprotein.co.uk

17. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

I really don't know - I just checked on the DAF website (durham animal feed where raw to go gets their meat from) but it doesn't say - only that they follow the barf way.

Maybe worthwhile email raw to go and see what info they have or perhaps sorcha knows as she has bought from them or Billyboysmammy does as she talked to them at one point about their food and delivery.

18. Sorcha

Sorcha PetForums Senior

Yes they do have the required amount of bone :) it's the 80-10-10 ratio meat-offal-bones.

Sorry I answered this, because I saw you asked Hobbs :)

19. Fizzy12

Fizzy12 PetForums Member

Thankyou, and I really don't mind who answered :lol: just used Hobbs quote about the proportions of meat.

Have emailed Lesley and am just waiting for a response now and will hopefully order today as I'm running out of my last lot of frozen minces :eek:

20. Sorcha

Sorcha PetForums Senior

Okay :)

I just made a nice pic for you, so you can see what you're getting :lol:
    Dean wasn't too impressed he didn't get his food straight away though :lol:

[​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice