Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Raw sore

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by franji, Oct 8, 2013.

1. franji

franji PetForums Newbie

Hi - I've found forum members to be very helpful in the past and so now hoping someone might be able to shed some light on a sore that I've just noticed on my cat, Bob.
    We moved from a garden flat to a high rise about 3 weeks' ago. Unfortunately there's scaffolding around the building and so haven't been able to establish a cat enclosure outside so Bob has been inside all this time.
    Bob is pretty relaxed but he has been a little skittish of late and not as adventurous as normal (I do mean a little - I've made him as comfortable as possible with lots of room and it's a calm home). He's still friendly and curious. Everything is quite normal ie bowel movements, eating/drinking etc.
    Anyway, when I was grooming him a couple of days' ago I found a sort of knot under one armpit. He didn't like me feeling around there (and usually I don't, so not sure how long he's had a problem) and I thought I'd keep an eye on it and hoped he'd pull out any compacted fur. Tonight I checked and was horrified to see a raw looking sore. I was shocked to see this. Perhaps he's stress-licking? I've taken a couple of photographs. Apart from this he seems fine - except for normal behaviour associated with a home move. I've never seen a sore like this on either a dog or cat. Before I rush off to the vet I'd appreciate any insights. Thank you. Not sure how to upload a photo from an imac...

2. gentoo1980

gentoo1980 PetForums Member

My cat used to over lick minor wounds and scratches. It resulted in him having to have steriod injections on three sepearte occations.

What I do is when he's either scratching at his neck I clip his back nails or if he's had a little scratch anwhere else on his body I'd have to put a head collar on him or else he'd cause a server skin infection and would need the steriod injection.

If the vet thinks he's licking cause he's stressed I'd defiently put a collar on him for a little while.

It sounds cruel but it's for the best.

3. Jansheff

Jansheff PetForums VIP

Could the knot have been a lump rather than knotted fur? I'm wondering if he has had an abscess which has burst. Does it look a bit like a hole now? If it was an abscess it needs bathing with warm saltwater to keep it clean while it heals. It might well need antibiotics from the vet so if it doesn't heal or fills with pus again you need a vet visit. Abscesses are very painful and also will make the cat feel ill.

#3 Jansheff, Oct 9, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  4. franji

franji PetForums Newbie

Hi - thank you.

It doesn't look like an absess. The skin is hairless and very red and sore looking. He's fine in every other way but I think it must be difficult for him as he's used to spending his days in a garden with lots of bushes and things to do and now he can't even go onto the balcony because the building has scaffolding around it. My gut feeling is he's stress licking - although I've never seen him do it. I've made an appointment with the vet for Monday (earliest) - so fingers crossed this will be resolved soon.
    Thank you again.

5. gentoo1980

gentoo1980 PetForums Member

You could maybe put a head collar on him until Monday. Then if it's healing you'll know it's because he's been constaly licking at the area.

By the time I'd find Fats had been licking for a while he'd have no fur, the skin would be bright pink and would start to become a bit rough.

I just put a head collar on till it heals up and he's fine. Obviosuly yours would still need the vets because if it's caused by stress he's gonna need something to relax him until you can give him his outside enclosure.

I used them heavy duty ones from pets at home as the ones my vets supplies keep touching his ears.

Think I had the size with a small terrier on front so he could still eat and play with the collar on but he was a big cat anyways.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice