Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Raw on a sensitive stomach...

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Argent, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Argent

Argent PetForums VIP

Was having a chat with my mum about raw feeding and she was gobsmacked that you can feed a dog raw meat :rolleyes:
    I told her it's a real and natural diet that's very good for the dog and she was like "oh no, Oscar's got such a sensitive tum as it is, I wouldn't want to mess it up" and I was like "it'll do him better than any processed food..." and she doesn't believe me...
    Is raw chicken good for a sensitive dog's stomach?

2. SixStar

SixStar Banned

It's brilliant for a sensitive stomach. A nice bland meat, easy to digest and light on the stomach. Nothing goes to waste and it's what dogs tums are designed for. Far better than any ''sensitive'' kibble ;)

3. Argent

Argent PetForums VIP

I so wish my mum could see that and just treat him to a chicken wing once a week or something >.< he'd love it!

4. Souris

Souris PetForums Senior

Yup! In fact, most 'sensitive' dogs you'll find suddenly become far less sensitive to various meats when they're fed raw. :)

Do you know what he's sensitive to? Certainly if he's sensitive towards grains/potato etc then raw would do him a world of good as it'll cut those out completely. If he's sensitive towards say a certain meat like lamb then it's easy to avoid with raw: although you may find he tolerates lamb for an example raw but not processed.

5. Argent

Argent PetForums VIP

Well I know he can't handle pork...my mum knows his diet much better than me...at least I convinced her to quit Nature Diet - too many bust packets, it was awful.

6. Souris

Souris PetForums Senior

The only thing I could suggest if you'd like to talk to her about changing is to get her to ring up one of the commercial raw companies- natural instinct or darlings etc. They'd be able to have a chat with her about the specifics of what he's allergic to/she'd be able to ask any questions about raw she had.

However, as a heads up, both of these companies listed are BARF, so that includes vegetables as well as meat.

It'd be extremely easy to avoid pork in a raw diet, but I do know that unless you've read the literature and can get raw around your head it can be very confusing. Certainly something she'd have to decide and research herself if she's the main food provider for him.

#6 Souris, Apr 4, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  7. Argent

Argent PetForums VIP

Yeah definately. I mean, I've been reading people's discussions as I want to feed my future dog (and cat) raw when I have my own, but it sounds SO complicated! I just didn't want her to pooh pooh the idea just because people can't handle raw meat doesn't mean it's going to hurt Oscar!

8. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

I wonder if his sensitive stomach is due to whatever he's been fed before now? Has he been switched from one thing to another? Get your mum to read Lexilou's thread in this section: she's switched from commercial to raw very carefully and successfully.

9. Souris

Souris PetForums Senior

It's not that complex when you get into it, but yes, for someone new to raw I know I certainly had fifty questions!

The one thing I will say about raw is that you have to be organised, I pretty much know what Pixel will be having for the next two weeks at any one time, so it's a bit more difficult than kibble, but once you get the grasp of it then it's really quite easy.

I know when I first explained it to my Mum her jaw almost hit the floor, I'm sure she couldn't see past the "you're going to feed Pixel raw bones?" question, but now she's even giving her two the odd raw meaty bones. What I did to turn her around was to keep bringing it up, and eventually she went and looked it up herself.

I think the best way to explain it is that she has a carnivore as a pet, and there's meat in any commercial food she feeds him: carnivores are not meant to eat grains, they just don't have the teeth for it let alone the digestive system. In essence, there's not that much of a jump between raw and wet food, in fact I know wet food turns my stomach more than raw does. :eek: There's lumps of meat in wet food, and she'll be feeding him lumps of meat as raw.

She doesn't have to feed him whole, minces might be an option if whole cuts make her queasy. Certainly, minces would be an easier option to get offal in there as I know it's the offal that stops most people in their tracks! Have another chat with her, you never know, she may be inspired to go have a look into it! If she does, and decides it's not for her, then at least she'll know a bit more about nutrition.

10. LexiLou2

LexiLou2 PetForums VIP

Ooooh this sounds like one for me....for fear of repeating myself....

We have been struggling with Lexi since she was 6 months old with stomach problems, we have had her pooing up to 13 times a day, we have had liquid poos we have had pooing in the house through the night you name it we've had it, shes been sick and everything.
    The foods we tried:
    She came on wagg puppy - was pooing 10 time plus a day
    Put her on JWB - liquid poo's
    Put her on sensitive prescription food from vet - was sick
    Put her on chappie - 13 poo's a day
    Fish4dogs straight through her
    Burns (could only eat chicken and rice) best one but still poo'd through the night
    Collards (designed for dogs with senstive stomachs) - had an allergic reaction and all her feet blistered.
    We have tried a couple of other foods can't remember them all.
    Put her on a totally raw diet 2 and half weeks ago and it is THE best thing i have ever done for her.
    I started her off on just chicken for 1 week we are now on chicken breast, chicken drumstick, chicken liver and turkey (yey is a new meat) read my thread raw feeding diary it goes right from day one.
    Since we put her on it she is pooing 2 - 3 times a day, we have only had one accident through the night which is brilliant for her but everything is so so much better than it was. HUGE fan of raw feeding here.

11. judetheobscure

judetheobscure PetForums Junior

I'm keeping my fingers crossed it works for Bella too.

12. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

The reason I changed to raw was because of Marty's sensitive stomach when he was a pup and I can honestly say that in the past six years I could count the number of diarrhoea poo's he's had on one hand - no word of a lie. ;)

13. greatdanes

greatdanes PetForums Member

My mum is the same "oh no not raw chicken - salmonella",
    raw meat is natural
    dogs werent born with a tin opener;)

14. gizzmo341

gizzmo341 PetForums Junior

raw food is good for the dog but with a sensitive stomach and the risk of salmonella for you and the dog is it worth it?

15. SixStar

SixStar Banned

IMO, yes. It's such a small risk anyway, and is greatly reduced by practicing good hygiene and correct storage.

16. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

As has been said - it was commercial that caused Marts sensitive stomach and raw that cured it.

How many thread do we see on here about dogs with sensitive stomachs on wet/dry foods and how many of the same on raw. Don't think i've seen one on raw and continuous stomach problems since i've been on here, but plenty on commercial in fact nearly every day! :(

As for salmonella and us - i've been cooking raw meat for my family for years and never once got salmonella or in the seven years of raw feeding. If you don't practice proper hygiene, it's your fault not the foods.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice