Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Raw marrow bone advice please:

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Superash, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Superash

Superash PetForums VIP

my next door neighbours son has just opened a butchers shop on my local market and has given me some huge marrow bone knuckles for the dogs i have never given raw bones before so are they safe to give them as they are? And also how often are they allowed them and how long do they keep in the fridge?:):):)

2. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

I take it they are leg bones/knuckles from a cow or similar. I would not give them. Leg bones etc from large animals are denser than normal bones. They have to be to support the weight. The main trouble is that they have been known to fracture teeth. Many people do use them no problem but a fractured tooth not only causes pain but can be a very expensive vet bill.

As to what bones to recommend.. depends on the size of the dog;) I would recommend getting something with meat on as well if you have a friendly butcher. You may want to look at http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-health-nutrition/213805-other-raw-bones.html for some suggestions. It's not just bones that can help clean teeth but the meat on them. In my experience most people start with chicken, chicken chicken wings for very small dogs, chicken backs or quarters.

Examples of Chicken Backs (normally used for soup I believe)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The idea is make the portion bigger than they can swallow so they have to chew before swallowing.

There are lots of people on this forum who do not feed raw but do feed bone once or twice a week. I am sure they will chime in.

#2 Goblin, Jan 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  3. Superash

Superash PetForums VIP

. Thank you much appreciated:D

4. peds

peds PetForums Member

I do give my pup marrow bones, but I take them off him when he's shredded all the meat and sinew off. There are more fun bones to chew than a big old rock like a marrow bone.

5. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

I do give raw knuckles to mine- supervised, and rarely. he does not tend to eat the actual shaft bit, just the knuckle head which is softer.

6. Manoy Moneelil

Manoy Moneelil PetForums VIP

Depends on the size of your dog/s.

Ours 45Kg can polish off a pig leg bone in 15 minutes.

Cow (marrow) leg bones are too solid, but the marrow is great either cut the end of with a hacksaw and spoon it out (hammered flat copper pie is good) or break it open with using much force from a two handed sledgehammer.

Otherwise all of his by-product is good for your dog.

As for how often, four times a week is not a problem - but monitor the dog's stool - too much bone leads to crumbly dry stool.

7. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

I give them and allow the dogs to have them for around an hour before taking them away - just enough time to gnaw and eat the sinew.

Be careful though as I forgot I had given Flynn a couple to gnaw the day before his second birthday, got on merrily with my gardening and he ate THE WHOLE TWO KNUCKLE BONES! :eek: Spent the whole of his second birthday trying to poo :( and had to have a general anaesthetic, enema and manual evacuation the following day as he had an impacted bowel. He had gnawed tiny particles that formed a solid mass in his intestine - very scary! :eek:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice