Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Raw - how much variety is necessary?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Hanlou, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Hanlou

Hanlou PetForums VIP

Hi folks! Well Teddy's raw diet is going really well. :)

I just wanted to check that he gets enough variety in his diet?

He eats pork, lamb, chicken, beef, tinned sardines and guinea fowl. He doesn't like turkey - in fact given half a chance he would eat nothing but pork and chicken. ;)

But he eats lamb and beef ok now I've persisted with it thankfully. He eats liver just fine too but isn't too keen on kidney and heart though he will eat if pushed.

I feed him Sainsburys stuff because it's a lot easier to portion up fresh meat and then freeze it than semi-defrost meat to defrost to portion up then freeze it again..... he only eats 200g a day, bless him! And he won't eat minces at all anyway - we tried Natural Instinct with him but he wasn't impressed at all.

When I tried tripe in the past he didn't like it - but I could try again with some of the PAH tripe nuggets or something like that?

I just wanted to double check this diet was ok - he gets a good balance of bone etc. I cut up a whole chicken for him so he gets all the different bones in it plus a whole guinea fowl cut up too (this is over a whole month of course!). He lurrvves his bones!

I got a fantastic meat cleaver today to make portioning up a quicker job! Hubby is rather concerned I'm not safe with it though lol. :D

2. sopott

sopott PetForums Senior

i had that meat cleaver issue with my hubby...

i think the variety sounds good. there's bone, some offal, muscle meat, different types. if you're not feeding green tripe you might want to consider adding a little bit of plain yogurt to his food now and again. not everyone does, but snoopy rather likes it, so i put a dollop on whatever food he isn't keen on to spice it up.

personally i also feed eggs and veg. i know the veg is controversial, but eggs are a good source of vitamins. either the whole egg with shell or without (if he gets enough bone) or just the yolk to lick up. i have yet to meet the dog who turns his nose up at that...

3. x clo x

x clo x PetForums Senior

sounds like a fair bit of variety. maybe try tripe again but mix in a small bit with something he does like?

have you looked at Manifold Valley meats? that what i feed mine and they have a great variety, and some mixes together?

4. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

I'd try and encourage some tripe but to be honest, I am not a huge advocate of variety. Its not a bad thing, but as long as they are eating the right things to get nutrients etc I do not believe the diet needs to be as varied as some others suggest.

5. Hanlou

Hanlou PetForums VIP

Thank you everyone - that's all really useful! :) xx

I might try him with an egg - he had some of my cooked one not long ago lol. Last time I tried him with one he wasn't bothered but it was quite a while ago.

He has licked our finished-with yogurt pots out from time-to-time - :eek: - so may enjoy some yogurt, yes.

I absolutely *love* watching him crunch his way through chicken bones! Never ceases to amaze me and make me smile to watch him! :D

6. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

It sounds fine to me, the main reason variety is pushed is you get so many people that just feed either the whole or the majority of the diet one meat and that is bad. The more variety the better of course but most people aren't going to be feeding 20 different species.

7. Hanlou

Hanlou PetForums VIP

Thank you Nicky xx

It's nice to have some reassurance - all these posts have set my mind at rest. :)

8. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

Can you back this up with research? I am yet to read any credible research demonstrating the need for a regularity of variety. Similarly to wet and dry foods it seems to be human driven ie. the thought that it's 'nice' more than anything.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice