Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Raw Hide Chews

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Gemma83, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Gemma83

Gemma83 PetForums Senior

Hi, anyone found the white raw better for their dogs? I gave archie normal raw hide at first but he broke a bit off and choked, totally freaked us out so we stopped letting him have it, then we found white raw hide chews which seem thicker. Has anyone else found these safer? Or do you think they are very unsafe and give your dogs over things to chew???

(Archies 6 months so he still needs a really good chew to stop him descrutive)

2. cavy_gal

cavy_gal Banned

I don't think one choke on a bit of hide is something to be worried about really. We give our dog those little shoes and bones made from hide and he loves them, never had a problem with them. He's a bit fussy with hard treats like that but with the thin ones that soak from his dribble, he can handle them.

I think its up to your dog what he likes, really. Just my opinion.

3. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

Mine seem to choke all the time on what ever hides i give em, thro the fact they wanna eat them fast so swalla them down halfway into chewing em.

they int dead yet :D so i still give em tho :D

4. sskmick

sskmick PetForums VIP

I buy large hide chews and bin them before he gets a chance to try and swallow them. He once swallowed too big a piece which got stuck down his throat he was tearing at his muzzle, in the end my husband had to reach down his throat in and pulled it out.

I also tried him with pigs ears the same thing happened but he was able to cough it out. I threw them away too. I tend to stick with large Jumbo type chews and the chews that are supposed to be good for their teeth.

On a personal note I don't like the coloured chews that the dye comes out of on to carpets, furniture etc and they end up in bits. He only gets those at Christmas when other people buy him them!

Sue

5. garryd

garryd Guest

pigs ears are the best!;)

6. sskmick

sskmick PetForums VIP

Don't know never tried them! :)

I must admit he loved them. No doubt I will try him with them again.

Sue

7. AJ

AJ Guest

Milo won't eat pigs ears or hide chews unless another dog has chewed on them already. :confused:

8. Angel

Angel PetForums Senior

My dog is the same with hide chews. She wont eat them unless someone else has chewed on them alot first.....

Tripe sticks go down very quickly thou.........:eek:

9. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

We dont ever give ours the hide chews as there is a risk from choking from them Pigs ears are good and tripe sticks as well but be very careful with the hide chews :(

10. AJ

AJ Guest

Someone as in a human? :eek:

Milo likes them with a bit of blood on! :confused:

11. Saman

Saman PetForums Newbie

The rawhide bones are very hard and brittle especially for such a young dog. I have read that dogs have actually broken teeth on them. As far as swallowing bits, a dog does not chew before it swallows so yes there have been many a dog taken to the vet for surgery, very costly.

Why not start them with what dogs naturally chew on, and that is larger raw bones from the butcher? They are so nutritious especially with the bone marrow which has many nutrients, and raw bone can be swallowed without harm to the dog. I give my dog raw bones and never a problem -keeps her entertained for hours. If indoors put a plastic sheet down as it can get a bit messy, and if outside put anywhere.

The pigs ears or hoofs that are on the market contain high levels of bacteria as I read a report last year, I never use those.
    Home made biscuits are also a healthy treat.
    Hope this helps you. :D

12. Gemma83

Gemma83 PetForums Senior

Stuipd question - but what animal bone- I know he shouldn't have chicken bones, so are talking cow bone? (I'm not a veggie, but can't eat meat of a bone, so don't really know which ones are ok!) I do have a really good butcher up the road I can go too.

13. sskmick

sskmick PetForums VIP

Every piece of information helps that's why I like logging on to this site to share ideas and experiences, and even join in debates. I did feel a bit isolated having a dog, I thought the problem I encountered was because of the breed I own a Staffie. I have found from this site that everyone has experienced the same types of problems.

I will just add natural bones from the butchers, or the cooked type from the petshop my dog breaks them either in two or splinters them and has broke a tooth. The first time I saw him break a thick bone in two I looked at my own arm and thought, I had better stay on the right side of him. Seriously it was only then that I realised the power in his jaws.

I still get natural bones for him and take them off him when he starts to break them.

Sue

14. carol

carol PetForums VIP

go to the butcher and ask for some big beef bones for your dog they will give you them

15. Saman

Saman PetForums Newbie

I am sorry Gemma I forgot to mention which type of bone. The large big beef bones that you see in stores or at your butchers are the ones I mean. They are raw, and usually have a bit of marrow in them and I guarantee if you give your dog one of these, you will not hear a peep for hours. Now and dog will chew them to a pulp, and you have to keep an eye on your dog especially when they start splintering the beef bones. Raw bones are not like the tough hard rawhide bones you buy in the store, they are softer and chewy to a dog's teeth. If you start your dog on a raw diet, raw chicken wings are totally edible to a dog, even a chihuahua can eat a chicken wing raw. A dog's digestive system can handle raw chicken wings but not cooked chicken bones, that would be very harmful if they are cooked. But raw they are digested by a dog's digestive system. I do not know what type of dog you have but they all like raw beef bones, the larger ones with a bit of meat and marrow around them...just try it and you will have a happy dog.
    I know that the rawhides are easy to buy, but for less money you can get raw beef bones, your dog will totally love. My Whoopie sits there for hours noshing on a raw beef bone, its healthy. I keep an eye on her when she gets down to scraping all the meat off, and taking the marrow out, but it keeps them amused. Its like putting peanut butter in a kong...they love it!! Hope this helps you.

16. Saman

Saman PetForums Newbie

Hi Sue: By natural bones I believe you mean raw, which is what I use, raw will usually not splinter, cooked bones will break, and they very well might break a tooth. The raw ones are softer and less rigid so they should not break in two. I keep an eye on my dog while she chews the bone and after she has cleaned off any meat, and eaten the marrow and its down to the nitty gritty, I will take it away. But dogs love to chew, and chewing on a raw bone actually cleans their teeth, so there are many benefits.
    You have to think of what dogs ate 50 years ago, when I was a child they ate whatever the butcher had on hand in scraps, and that included meaty beef bones. Now with raw diets my friend John has a husky, and his wife goes to Sam's Club, picks up chicken wings, hamburger and some cooked veggies, and every nite after the wings are thawed out, she puts down several raw chicken wings, and the hamburger with vegetables and Kobi just gobbles it all up. This dog is amazingly healthy and energetic and has a coat that women would die for....so soft, thick and lovely. Kobi is on a raw diet, and enjoys her meals.
    So nice that you feel great in this group, I just joined and I feel the same.
    hope this helps also.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice