Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Raw hide alternatives

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Jason25, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Jason25

Jason25 PetForums Senior

What chews do you give your dogs?

I'm looking to give my dog something healthier that will last more than a minute... I used to give raw hide chews until I seen how it was made and since then I've stopped giving them to her.

Any suggestions? Thanks
    :D

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Pizzle is popular.

Jason25 likes this.
  3. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Braided Ostrich tendons. Takes my superpower jaws dachshund about 20 minutes to get throughthem.

Mum2Heidi and Jason25 like this.
  4. wee man

wee man PetForums VIP

Cow hooves.
    Not filled ones though:eek: and not the calf ones, they are very small.
    Some of these can last our lot for months/years

Kakite, niamh123, Jason25 and 2 others like this.
  5. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Nothing lasts for my dogs apart from the hooves which are brilliant value at 4 for a quid in my local pet shop and raw knuckle bones.

Everything else is gone within seconds. I got a pack of 4 tracheas today for them. Stupidly gave them one each and left them whilst i nipped into another room. Within a minute, murph is there beside me, finished his.

Popped my head round the door to see tilly there with lots left. Little did i know, she had also scoffed the one i gave her and helped herself to another from the pack i left on a chair!! Cheeky madam!

I have seen the ostrich braids but they are expensive and i am put off buying them as i think they would soon be gone.

Sarah H, Kakite and Jason25 like this.
  6. Jason25

Jason25 PetForums Senior

Thanks for the replies, I've got a few options to try now :)

7. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

I think you are right, with your dogs. I like giving them to T because he isn't a hard chewer - he won't bother with hooves or yakkers (OP, that's another suggestion - made from yak milk and really hard). The braids unravel a bit so he gets the chance to have a good chomp on them.

Jason25 and tabelmabel like this.
  8. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

It is good to hear they last for some dogs. I wish they were a bit cheaper and then i might give them a go.

Mine dont like the yakkers at all - til they go into the microwave and puff up, then murph loves them but again gone in seconds. And another really expensive one. The antler is a long lasting one, but neither of mine are interested.
    It isnt easy finding anything that lasts too long, tbh.

Jason25 likes this.
  9. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

Explicit chews I give for a chew event:
    Cadvan's go-to chews are dried cow scalp still with hair. Canibit is my favourite brand, but Zooplus have stopped doing them and I can't find the product for sale anywhere else, so now I buy JR Pet Products ones:
    https://www.jrpetproducts.com/primal-range-with-hair-dog-treats/
    Cow (and camel and deer) scalp are the hardest wearing chews I depend upon. I prefer to give with fur for the extra gut benefits and texture enrichment, but the hairless ones are almost as tough.
    Ears of the above are also good (rabbit, goat and sheep ears are a much easier); cow ears especially are very tough to chew.

JR also do the dried Ostrich that @SusieRainbow mentions
    https://www.jrpetproducts.com/signature-classic-range-pet-treats/

We also do pizzle, but that goes fairly quickly. I think I need to find some thicker pizzle to see if that last any better.
    eta - forgot one! paddywack is another one I sometimes give. It's not super tough to chew, probably about the same as standard pizzle. But specifically much cheaper xD

I also buy from these shops:
    https://www.natural-treats.co.uk/ - especially good for cost-saving as they have a bulk buy bit! Their stock does fluctuate a bit as a result though, but worth it
    https://www.doggytreat.co.uk/

And then ones I leave down for him to chew on are general toys and things:
    Yakkers are enjoyed here, but not fanatically so. I can leave one down and it'll be nibbled here and there in sessions hours/ days apart rather than eaten at once. Sometimes I pick the current one up and put it away for a bit so that when it reappears later that can be moderately exciting to keep variety up. So good value from that respect, but don't work as a specific 'I need to keep you occupied' in higher distraction scenarios.

Hooves, Cad has some but they're even less exciting than Yakkers.

Fallow antler is similar to hooves from Cad's pov. I got fallow rather than red deer because the overall diameter of red deer ones is a bit big for Cad's mouth side, and the red deer ones split in half would be too easy for him. Fallow ones are a bit softer than red deer, but flat, so more suited to smaller mouths.

One thing I wish I could get another one of is sheep horns. Alas our current one was foraged, so I probably need to consult with vulture culture friends who would maybe find some bones and be like 'well I have no need for this unattached horn'. I leave it down, but he chews it more than the other bits in this section.

Also just... old bones where they're super dry are still good to be nibbled. I find that there's more excitement if it's a bone that a friend's dog has had and then after a bit it comes here. And then I pass ones Cad's got bored with onto a cousin. I think that's probably the novelty enrichment angle.

NB Cadvan is small, but with strong jaw muscles etc. and very into harder chews

#9 Torin., Jul 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    Jason25 likes this.
  10. AlexPed2393

AlexPed2393 PetForums VIP

Bonnie tried the yak chew ones and went through it in about 20 minutes, we got her the biggest one as well and she is only a 10-12 kg dog

Jason25 likes this.
  11. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Braided ostrich tendons get our vote. Gentle on my little terriers tum. Low fat, great jaw work out and perfect accompaniment to teeth cleaning. Little bristle like things to begin then soften into strands similar to floss.
    Best chews I’ve found

Jason25 and JoanneF like this.
  12. Silverpaw

Silverpaw PetForums Member

Another vote for braided ostrich tendons here.Low fat and keep Maci chewing for a bit longer than other things.

Jason25 likes this.
  13. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Got these today at pets at home and thumbs up! Quite long lasting (over an hour) 20190723_191851.jpg

Jason25 likes this.
  14. Jason25

Jason25 PetForums Senior

I'm gonna give the braided ostrich tendons a go.

I've seen them yak things in pets at home but always been afraid she will swallow it whole :Hilarious

Also I think bones/antlers etc are a no no for her, she's an intense chewer and tries to go through everything as quick as she can lol

tabelmabel and Mum2Heidi like this.
  15. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Will you let us know how it goes - and specifically how long it takes your dog to eat one? If they last a while, i might try them too! They are 10 quid a pack here, for not many, which is putting me off. But if they last, i would give it a go!

Jason25 likes this.
  16. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Ps those goat ears were 5 quid for 3. And each ear gave 2 hrs chew. 6 hours chew time for a fiver is not bad at all:)

Jason25 likes this.
  17. Jason25

Jason25 PetForums Senior

I've been down to pets at home and they had no braided ostrich in so will have to order on line, but they had the goats ears so picked up a pack of them, I've just given daisy one at 16.58 so will report back when she's finished :D

tabelmabel likes this.
  18. Jason25

Jason25 PetForums Senior

She had the small one that's about a third of the size of the other 2 and it lasted 17 minutes, so they should last maybe an hour each. Awesome :D

I noticed they also do braided lamb... Might pick up a pack on Friday and see how they do as well.

With these ears, how many times a week can she have one? :)

tabelmabel likes this.
  19. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

I give my dogs something to chew on daily...

They do have a lot less of their daily allowance of food though so am guessing am also compensating for a chew too!

tabelmabel and Jason25 like this.
  20. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Also @Jason25 - you might want to check the effect on poop output before giving too many!! My murph can take these things fine but tills gets the runs easily and needs limited

Jason25 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice