Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Raw food treats for a cat

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by pennycat, Feb 8, 2021.

1. pennycat

pennycat PetForums Senior

C42F8380-CC56-4847-B5A7-0D044EC4B60F.jpeg Hi,
    I wanted to feed miss candy cane some tasty raw food occasionally as a treat. I was thinking a raw chicken leg or thigh. Is that appropriate? Would it replace a whole meal? Can she get toxoplasmosis from it? thanks in advance :)
    PS oops should probably have posted this in the cat nutrition forum - if anybody knows how to move it?!

2. Douglas’ Dad

Douglas’ Dad PetForums Senior

A moderator will move it. I’ll tag @SusieRainbow
    Gorgeous cat.

pennycat and SusieRainbow like this.
  3. Rachey

Rachey PetForums Junior

I think some of the raw food companies do raw treats (presumably freeze dried) - I know Purrform advertise these

4. Rachey

Rachey PetForums Junior

Oh sorry, I thought you were feeding a raw diet and want to add in treats! I tried mine with chicken wings for a treat - I don't think there is any harm in it as long as its fresh and not a cooked bone but they might not recognise it as foo immediately. Mine didn't straight away and even when they did made a right mess throwing it all over kitchen trying to eat it! I just got feed dried treats and stuck to the occasional raw meal - they have no problems recognising the ground up meat as food

pennycat likes this.
  5. pennycat

Thanks! Yes she normally gets fed tins or pouches, but I’d heard that a raw chicken wing is good for the teeth so am tempted to try it see if she likes it. As long as it’s not harmful :)

6. Rachey

Rachey PetForums Junior

That's why I tried it too - I'm sure they'd get used to eating it. Mind did try to eat it but I couldn't handle the amount of raw chicken they were throwing about. I bought some commercially prepared raw food for this reason (still good for teeth I believe) and feed them this a couple of times a week then wet food the rest of the time :)

pennycat likes this.
  7. pennycat

That’s maybe a better idea. Would avoid waste - not sure where I’d buy just one single wing & I don’t eat them myself! What brand do you buy?

8. Rachey

Rachey PetForums Junior

I've tried nutriment(? - i think), purrform and luna and me. The purrform sachets are their favourite and easiest to handle although the cost puts me off. We don't have a local stockist and not a massive freezer to bulk buy and make the delivery worthwhile for how much I use. I liked Luna and me patties too and we currently have these.
    I don't recommend nutriment - only my opinion but I don't want the hassle of portioning up (it comes in 500g tubs I think) and never looked too fresh

pennycat likes this.
  9. Willsee

Willsee PetForums Member

I’ve given mine raw chicken wings, you can get them from any supermarket in packs and then I freeze them individually and just defrost when required. Initially I would suggest removing the skin and cutting into the flesh so it makes it a bit easier for them to chew and do be prepared for a bit of cleaning up as it probably won’t remain in dish :rolleyes:

pennycat likes this.
  10. Joy84

Joy84 PetForums VIP

You can buy a few and freeze them.

I once went to halal butchers and I don't want to generalise but they mostly cater for bigger families so when I asked for 5 wings the guy looked at me and said 5 kilos, yeah?! I said no, 5 pieces please, it's for my cat ... THAT LOOK! Priceless :Bag
    I never went back there :Hilarious
    Quail is also a good raw snack- I used to portion it into quarters.

I don't eat meat but was ok with wings or quail, day old chicks however were too much for me :Vomit
    Lucky for me Phoebe pretty quickly got bored of delicacies like that o_O
    But always worth trying!

pennycat likes this.
  11. pennycat

Well, she got a raw chicken wing for breakfast.

1) that was one very happy cat 2) that is now one very messy floor

Joy84 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice