Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Raw Food supply like Food4Cats

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Janee, May 12, 2010.

1. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Yup I looked into this but the meat comes from a company that has distributors all over the country. Had a look at the meat. Sorry but I am not convinced many of them are suitable to feed a complete diet to cats. :(

http://www.daf-petfood.co.uk/wb/

Like to hear what other people think though!

2. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

I stand corrected - BillyboysMammy has spoken to them and got more info, which she will post here soon! So watch this space with abated breath! :thumbup:

3. Daisyandchlo

Daisyandchlo PetForums Member

I tried the DAF minces about 18 months ago. I bought several varieties, but my cats' refused to eat any of it. What I found (baring in mind, I only ever placed one order, so don't know what it's like now), all the varieties had the same strange smell. I wouldn't say that it was an 'off' smell. I really don't know what it was, but it was strong and just not a very nice smell.

I think I spent about £25 and ended up putting it on Freecycle :(

4. cappimum

cappimum PetForums Newbie

i think the smell is just meat and blood, its the same smell you get in a proper butchers. we are just not used to it these days.

it hasnt put my dog or cats off, infact it probably draws them to it!!

5. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

Well

I have spoken to the very nice and friendly lady.

The chicken, lamb and beef minces are all in the 80/10/10 ratio, however you would need to supplement with taurine (either a taurine rich food or powder).

All her foods are fit for human consumption, apart from the pancreas... this is apparently a much sought after food for dogs suffing from various endocrine problems.

Naturally the chicken and tripe has more organ meat (well it would lol... its tripe!), and the other organ meats (including choice chunks which is primarily lung) would only be suitable as a supplementory feed not as a "almost complete" diet.

I asked for a quote for delivery for 10 & 20kg packs. My quote was £7 delivery for up to 20kg. Stupidly i forgot to ask if there was a minimum order, but i would think it safe to assume 10kg would be minimum.

I think its a pretty good deal tbh. Most of my meats come direct from a butchers and a meat processing plant (butchery supplier to hotels, smaller butchers etc). They all have a fresh meat smell of blood.... no different from going to a traditional butchers shop.

6. julianne

julianne PetForums Member

I have had my pets on Daf minces for over 2 years and i have not had one batch of mince that had a strange smell apart from the meat and blood smell.I also go to DAF to collect my meat and i have seen some of the meat that is minced and it is good quality meat. I was once there when Lee had just received a batch of venison and he ground a leg up for my dogs and packaged it whilst i was there.
    I tell you my pets are better fed than me :thumbup:

7. Sorcha

Sorcha PetForums Senior

Thank you for this news :D
    I e-mailed them today to ask about the minimum order and shipping costs for us.
    I'm going to try and find a good taurine supplement now :)

8. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

In case you cannot get your hands on some heart, I wonder whether you could just get some of their minced heart and mix that in with their minces as one way to get some taurine in. Then you would perhaps only need to feed a few prawns a week....

#9 hobbs2004, May 14, 2010
    Last edited: May 14, 2010
  9. Sorcha

Sorcha PetForums Senior

I can get lamb hearts from Tesco and they love that. Maybe I can mince the prawns and mix them with the lamb or beef mince.

10. billyboysmammy

You could mince the prawns - but most cats (obviously not all - contrary buggers) will eat them whole.

Remember that ANY processing will deplete the taurine, be that mincing, freezing, chopping, cooking etc... so you might need to feed a little more of a taurine rich food if its already minced and frozen than you would if you fed whole and fresh.

Hope that makes sense.

sal x

11. julianne

Check Tescos hearts haven't been frozen !!!!!

If you freeze or grind food it loses some of the taurine value .My local morrisons have fresh hearts (not previously frozen).I have a dog with a bad heart and he needs extra taurine so he gets fresh heart ,liver and kidneys.

12. billyboysmammy

lol we must have been posting at the same time! :thumbup:

13. julianne

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I know my local tescos hearts have been previously frozen so please do check that the packet doesn't say do not freeze on it or previously frozen.

14. Daisyandchlo

Daisyandchlo PetForums Member

Glad to hear some of you have had success with the DAF minces. Shame my two wouldn't eat it, as it was very reasonably priced.
    I'm not convinced the strange smell was just meat and blood, because I haven't found that smell with other minces. Sounds like I was just unlucky though, as you all seem to have had good experiences with it :)

15. julianne

Luckily both my dogs will eat DAF but one won't touch prize choice minces but the other loves them.
    These pets of ours can be finiky creatures :rolleyes:

16. Sorcha

Sorcha PetForums Senior

The reason I talked about mincing in the prawns, is because nearly none of my cats like praws :rolleyes:
    I will check the hearts in Tesco when I go there tomorrow and if they've been frozen, I'll ask a butcher if they can sell me fresh ones.
    Thanks for your advice everyone :)

17. billyboysmammy

you can feed pre-frozen heart, and its still an excellent source of taurine. What you have to do though is feed more of it than you would normallly need to with fresh.

18. Sorcha

Sorcha PetForums Senior

Thanks for that. They won't mind to get more hearts I think, so I'll buy loads and freeze them myself. I'll check Tesco's first, just to be sure they haven't been frozen before.

19. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice