Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Raw food recipes

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by kidsandcats, Aug 12, 2009.

1. kidsandcats

kidsandcats PetForums Member

Hi Guys

I have been doing a lot of research on the internet on the benefits of a raw diet for cats. I have owned cats as long as I can remember and always fed them wet and dry food but since joining this forum I have really been put off dry food from some of the advice that has been posted. That is what prompted me to look it up on the internet. I know this is a bit of a sore subject but I have decided that I won't be feeding my new kittens dry food. In fact I am so gobsmacked about the meat content in commercial cat food that I am looking to change the wet food as well. Initially I will be feeding the kittens either Natures Menu kitten or Hi-Life Kitten as I now know that these have the higher meat content but I am seriously looking into a raw food diet and weaning them onto that. I have found a supplier of raw meat thanks to a post on here, Food-4-Cats, but as I have read how important it is to ensure the right cuts of meat are used and that the livers/heart are included for the Taurine levels I am considering making my own. I am at the moment doing a cost comparison and have e-mailed Food-4-Cats to confirm what they use in their raw meat recipe. Here is a recipe I found on a Feline Nutrition website. I would be very grateful for any comments from you experiened raw meat chefs or any alternative recipes I can use.
    Thanks in advance!
    Sharon
    x

2. ambercat

ambercat PetForums Senior

I replied on your other thread about food 4 cats, but this recipe at catinfo.org is a good recipe makingcatfood

3. kidsandcats

kidsandcats PetForums Member

Thanks for that I have saved this to my favourites!

Oh and it might help if I actually posted the recipe that I mentioned in my first post lol!!

■Do not cut corners by using only chicken legs, or - heaven forbid - just chicken backs and necks to make this recipe. Use the whole, “dressed” bird (chicken can be substituted by other edible birds) and don’t cut anything away, like skin or fat. The chicken meat itself will contain little fat, and the visible fat is important as a source of essential fatty acids. Of course, don’t use a bird with guts, feathers, head, and legs.
    ■You don’t need to add Vitamin Bs or E, because these are naturally occurring in both the raw egg yolk and raw liver.
    ■Do not add whole egg, but only the egg yolk. Egg white contains an enzyme which will make the essential B Vitamin Biotin unavailable to your cat.
    ■Instead of Kelp, we add “Half Salt” or “Light Salt” to this recipe, which is readily available at your grocery store. It is a mixture of iodized sodium chloride and potassium chloride. It is easy to overdose iodine when using kelp on a small scale as in the do-it-yourself recipe.
    ■Add 1 can of salmon, sardines, or mackerel packed in water as a source of Omega 3 fatty acids, instead of 4000mg Salmon Oil or an Omega 3 fish oil, if you wish.
    ■Although chicken – especially the dark meat of chicken legs contain Taurine, it is advisable to obtain Taurine (available as L-Taurine) from your health food store to assure optimal levels of this essential amino acid in this recipe. If available, you can add 400g of chicken hearts, but take ½ chicken breast away. In that case, you do not have to add supplemental Taurine.
    ■Cats do not need fiber. There is no need to add Psyllium husk or any other source of soluble or insoluble fiber to this recipe.
    ■This recipe has a naturally pleasing texture and does not require the addition of water.
    ■If your store bought chicken contains the heart, liver, gizzard, and neck in the body cavity, remove these from the little bag and simply grind into the recipe

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice