Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Raw food for cat with no back teeth

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by AntaresCat, Nov 26, 2020.

1. AntaresCat

AntaresCat PetForums Newbie

Hi All

I'm new to the forum and have been reading for a while about raw food diets for cats as both a way of dealing with a slightly overweight cat, and for general health.

My concern was that our 2nd cat has had her back teeth removed - would the ground up bone in raw food present an issue (not sure if anyone has experience of this situation, I guess its quite specific :)). I'm just not sure how big the bone pieces would be once ground and if they would require chewing. She can eat dry cat food ok, although prefers not to.

They've occasionally eaten commercial raw food in the past, but this has been more like a paste in texture.

Any thoughts appreciated!

2. urbantigers

urbantigers PetForums VIP

One of my boys has lost a good few teeth and has no problems with raw. Granted he eats mainly minced but the small pieces of bone in the commercially pre-made raw he eats pose no problem. There was a fairly big piece in one of his meals yesterday and I as sure he’d leave it but he didn’t. He will eat chunks if he feels like it - he’s able to but doesn’t like eating chunks on a regular basis.

lorilu and AntaresCat like this.
  3. AntaresCat

Thanks so much, I’ll take the plunge and get some to try

lorilu likes this.
  4. Babyshoes

Babyshoes PetForums VIP

My permanent foster Levi has very few teeth remaining. A commercial raw diet is the only thing that somewhat controls his tummy troubles. He has no issues with the minced up bone.
    The types with a little more bone in them have had a firming effect on his poo (which is great for him), and makes them rather light in colour, occasionally a little chalky in look and texture.
    That's less of an issue with the types that also have organ meat in the mix, since offal is known to have a loosening effect on the bowels.
    Just something to be aware of if she has any tummy trouble.

lorilu and AntaresCat like this.
  5. AntaresCat

That’s good to know, she’s a little bit prone to being sick compared to our other cat so I’ll keep an eye out for any changes

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice