Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Raw food diet..yes or no?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by beatule, Apr 29, 2016.

1. beatule

beatule PetForums Newbie

We've just got an 8 week old Hungarian Vizsla puppy who has been fed raw food by breeders and that;s what they recommended to us. However, having visited vet this morning i am not sure what to do. The vet was very much against raw food diet and recommended buying good quality supermarket food. He said raw food harbours lots of bacteria and bones can be dangerous to dogs. Also it lacks calcium and phosphorus which is essential for growing dog. I am so confused and I want the best for my puppy. Any advise?

2. Hanwombat

Hanwombat I ♥ dogs with eyebrows !!

Raw food is absolutely fine.. a lot of vets don't really know much about it to be honest. There are plenty of members on here who feed raw - including me!
    You can either do DIY raw or you can buy raw such as Nutriment and Natural Instinct.

OR you could just feed him a good quality dry or wet food - its really up to you.

Bones can be dangerous for dogs but all depends... a weight bearing bone can cause a dog to perhaps crack a tooth but bones such as chicken wings, ribs etc are fine... and also never give a dog cooked bones as they can splinter.

Please see some below links about different ways of feeding / good and bad foods

http://www.petforums.co.uk/threads/raw-feeding-everything-you-need-to-know.111437/
    http://www.petforums.co.uk/threads/the-updated-wet-dog-food-index.305410/page-32#post-1064514932
    http://www.petforums.co.uk/threads/the-updated-dry-dog-food-index.255727/

MiffyMoo and simplysardonic like this.
  3. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

There is no right or wrong answer, you have to feed what you think is best for your pup. Personally if he is already on raw and is thriving then I would stick with it and stay in touch with the breeder for advice and support. Cooked bones can be dangerous to dogs but raw bones are fine although again I would follow your breeders advice on the type of bones to give and when. There is also some excellent advice on this website

http://dogsdinner2.webs.com/feedingpuppies.htm

MiffyMoo likes this.
  4. rottiepointerhouse

@beatule did your breeder supply you with a diet sheet and further advice?

5. beatule

beatule PetForums Newbie

Not really. They are using Natural instinct and that's what they recommended. I am currently feeding 4 times a day, 300 g per day as says on the packet.
    Do you think I should add some dry food like Royal Canin to his diet?

6. Hanwombat

Royal Canin is very expensive given the food is full of fillers and isn't good quality. I'd just stick with the Natural Instinct personally for now if he is used to it and you're fine with paying it as read-made raw can be expensive ( I will know as I get Nutriment for mine )

7. beatule

beatule PetForums Newbie

Thank you!

Hanwombat likes this.
  8. Hanwombat

Would look to see photos of him too :D

9. rottiepointerhouse

That a shame - its always nice if the breeder goes to the effort of providing a diet sheet/advice for the future as well as the immediate period when you get pup home. I use Natural Instinct a fair bit too, its a complete food and already has the ratios taken care of for you. They are also very helpful so don't hesitate to contact them if you need further advice.

10. beatule

beatule PetForums Newbie

He is sooo cute. I love him so much:)

Attached Files:

11. Muttly

Muttly Fluffy Mutts Rule!

Why do Vets say this?
    Can't they say "raw food harbours bacteria, so freezing it first will rid most of this" and "bones can be dangerous to dogs, so make sure you give them supervised at all times and choose the right size for your dog"

Because quite frankly, if they are not qualified to give advice on feeding, then say nothing, not half a sentence.

Sorry OP. For what it's worth I think something like Nutriment or Natural Instinct is a great idea, especially as he's already on it!
    If he's doing well on it, then why change?

MiffyMoo likes this.
  12. SurfCFC

SurfCFC PetForums Senior

Exactly the same as when we got our pup :) No, you should't add dry food to raw, and if you decide to go back onto dry then wean him off the raw onto the dry over a period of a few days.

13. beatule

beatule PetForums Newbie

What is a diet sheet?

14. SurfCFC

SurfCFC PetForums Senior

Oh what a little cutie!!!

15. rottiepointerhouse

Oh my he is gorgeous. Why not introduce him properly in dog chat and stick around the forum so we can get to see plenty of photos of him, you will find loads of useful information on here and people who will try to answer any questions you might have.

MiffyMoo likes this.
  16. rottiepointerhouse

Just a typed up sheet of paper with the food they are already on with instructions for how much to feed and how often, when to start reducing the number of times per day and increase the amount fed etc. It would usually be in a pack with other information on worming/flea treatment/vaccinations etc.

MiffyMoo likes this.
  17. Hanwombat

Oh my goodness :Kiss :Kiss :Kiss

18. rottiepointerhouse

I'm not sure that is strictly true - freezing doesn't kill all bacteria - when we freeze chicken for our own use for instance we still have to take precautions to prevent food poisoning/salmonella. Its not such an issue with dogs as they have stronger stomach acids and can get away with eating all sorts of things that we wouldn't touch.

19. Jackien4

Jackien4 PetForums Senior

Not giving advice either way, but my dog had dry Royal canin , burns, but had a yeast infection which I couldn't get rid of for years, not sure it was the kibble that caused it, so tried him on nutriment raw as last resort , but couldn't get him to eat it
    If I had tried him on it when he was younger he may have never had yeast infection. But will never know.

20. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

Why not feed raw and dry together? There is no evidence that feeding both has any negative effect on the dog. In fact, just last night I added raw heart to their kibble, dogs are still alive and in the best of shape today.

Also, it's not necessarily the bacteria causing harm to the dog, it's also the affect the bacteria can have on humans if we do not carry out proper hygiene precautions.

If you (OP) dont feel comfortable feeding raw, or it's not practical for whatever reason then dont feed it, simple. Switch to a good quality dry or wet food. However, if you feel that you'd like to continue with raw then carry on feeding the ready made stuff or do your homework and DIY it.

I think bones can be dangerous to dogs, regardless of the type. My lot have just had some lamb bones and Jed got one stuck in his mouth, managed to free it himself as I went over to help, but it's not the first time it has happened. Pierced saliva gland in the past thanks to a chicken bone, cracked teeth, lots of incidents of half choking etc. I raw fed full time for 6 years so i'm not against it but I have to admit giving them bones scares the wits out of me nowadays despite the fact both me and the dogs should be well used to it.

Just do whatever you want to do, despite what many of the die hards say, raw feeding is not the be all and end all.

Blackadder likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice