Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Raw Food Diet/BARF

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Michelle666, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Michelle666

Michelle666 PetForums Senior

Has anyone got their dogs on a Raw food diet? Im getting my puppy soon (Dogue de Bordeaux), and she is already on a mix of tribe (Yuck!) and biscuits. We would like to keep her on a raw food diet as she is going to be a big dog and would need plenty of protein. I dont particulary like tinned foods, as i worry what they put into it.

I was wondering what other people feed their dogs and how much roughly does it cost?

2. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

I think you'll find there are a few who raw feed on here, I have my girls on it.

The majority of food mine get are bones, although at the moment they're getting a fair amount as tripe as they are lean and pretty fit, and drop weight in the summer easily. It isn't so much about a high protein diet, more a natural diet :) The last thing you want to do with a medium/large dog, is feed a really high protein diet that encourages them to develop and grow too large too soon, slower more natural development is the best way to go imo.

I had a friend years ago who fed his two GSD pups on high protein puppy and junior complete foods, one was affected so badly by her skeletal system growing too quickly, she used to literally howl in pain. I know a few people who never give their pups/dogs puppy or junior food because they don't believe in feeding high protein diets to encourage this type of growth.

Good luck with the raw feeding, you will get plenty of advice and help I'm sure :):):)

3. warmglo

warmglo PetForums Member

I feed my dogs raw, and they are doing very well on it. I agree with not giving too much protein whilst very young, but I start pups with a mix of either minced beef or chicken, boiled rice, and mixed veg, supplemented with milk and cereal. As they grow I vary the diet using fish, adding liver (very small amounts) and giving whole pieces of raw chicken, and large bones. There is lots of advice on the BARF diets out there, to suit different breeds and energy levels.
    The cost has increased greatly, I used to get minced beef, mixed veg, and chicken bits from Iceland, but I've now found a local wholesaler. I had to ring around butchers and restaurants to find one 'cos they don't advertise.
    Good luck with your puppy! :)

4. Depending on the kibble the diet sounds fine! And would not be tempted to change the diet too soon, give her chance to settle in first.
    Re the protien - you need to be careful NOT to feed too higher protien content to larger breed dogs!
    regards
    DT
    look forward to seeing the pup! adore DDB's

5. Changes

Changes PetForums VIP

All my dogs are raw fed and my pups have been weaned on to raw

Today their menu looks like this

Pig trotter (this lasts all day and will be finished by mum later)

Breakfast - chicken wings and tripe chunks

Lunch - lamb rack - chicken mince

Evening - Beef mince - ox heart -

Supper - goats milk - eggs

Tomorrow

similar to yesterday except there is a tasty rabbit to add to the pot

On a weekly basis the dogs will eat -

Fish like sardines - tuna
    Liver
    Heart
    Kidneys
    Lungs
    Beef
    Chicken
    Lamb
    Pork
    Tripe

I find my dogs will spend most of their day gnawing - not one of them bolts their food it takes them all day to eat everything they are given - yet they are neither overweight or underweight -

The pups are growing steadily and are very solid for their size - I find they eat when they are hungry - right now they still have chicken wings and the trotter left from breakfast and they are all fast asleep :) the wings will be gnawed on for most of the day like the trotter and mum will finish them off later.

There is a brilliant list which I have found invaluable called

BritBarf it is a yahoo group do a search on google , think you need a yahoo email to join :)

Hope that has been helpful

Mel x

6. warmglo

warmglo PetForums Member

Also try Landywood Pet Foods, its a good site and seem to specialize in larger breeds.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice