Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Raw Fish?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by sashski, Sep 10, 2013.

1. sashski

sashski PetForums Senior

Isabelle and Diesel both love fish - way more than any other raw combo including rabbit, venison, chicken etc!

At the moment at each meal they have approx 35-40g of NI raw mixed with a teaspoon of Applaws tuna selection - just to get them interested! I've seen a couple of threads saying that too much fish is bad, especially tuna.
    Am I feeding them too much tuna? Could it be dangerous?

I have also bought some frozen Coley chunks - do I cook this or can i give it to them raw?
    I don't want to do the wrong thing!

2. sashski

sashski PetForums Senior

Can anyone help me with this?

3. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Tuna has high levels of mercury in it - so don't feed it more than twice a week, same with other fish really, fish shouldn't be fed more than twice a week in total.

4. sashski

sashski PetForums Senior

Thank you spid, any ideas how I can get the girls to eat their raw without the fishy part? ! A 70g tin lasts a few days between both of them, so they aren't eating much at all.
    If I were to feed a fishy complete wet food instead, would that be okay?

5. spid

spid PetForums VIP

No because it is still fish. The trouble is with the toxins that the fish digest whilst in the sea. These are throughout the whole of the fish flesh. But the amount you are feeding seems fine.

Have you tried crushing up and sprinkling thrive treats on top?

6. sashski

sashski PetForums Senior

Not yet, I have ordered some though and they are due to arrive today between 1 and 2pm (thanks DPD for the hour time slot!)

Do cats go off raw food? When I first started them on it, they loved it and gobbled it up before the dish hit the floor but now they're not interested unless its got fish in it. I rotate flavours so they have a variety, chicken & beef, then lamb and chicken the next tub, I've ordered a venison this week but its a bit more expensive so I hope I don't end up throwing a lot away. NI seems quite limited to flavours which is a shame.

7. spid

spid PetForums VIP

They can get fussy - have you tried ordering some Nutriment and rotating that in?

8. sashski

sashski PetForums Senior

I looked at nutriment, but the shipping costs put me off somewhat, especially as I don't want to order a lot and find they wont eat it!! which sods law is what will happen. :(

The Nutriment salmon would be okay, because its got a fair amount of beef in is that right?

I apologise for the silly questions! :eek:

9. Satori

Satori One of Life's Winners.

Better to wean them off the fish I think. One of the thrive treats is ocean fish flavour and, like all freeze dried food, it is very intensely flavored. One of these sprinkled on the top of the raw might do the trick; reducing the amount over time. Nutriment are starting to distribute to retailers too, you might want to call them and see if there is anyone locally.

10. sashski

sashski PetForums Senior

I think I will wean them off the fish, as I say they don't have very much as it is anyway.

I'll have a look around and see if there is a retailer near me that is stocking it. failing that someone near me that is buying some that wouldn't mind adding an extra one on their order for me!

11. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Sashski, as well as the heavy metals and PCBS in deep sea fish - raw fish contains thiaminase which experts say inhibits absorption of thiamine (vitamin B1). Lack of vitamin B1 can have serious effects on a cat's health.

Thiaminase is destroyed by cooking so the B1 absorption as such is not affected by feeding cooked fish.

So on this basis raw fish should only be fed in small quantities once or twice a week. Feeding raw salmon recipe Nutriment even though it has beef or chicken added, would not avoid the risk to B1 absorption.

12. sashski

sashski PetForums Senior

Thank you Chillminx :)

They love prawns but they only get cooked prawns very occasionally (i.e a couple left over from the bbq!)

Might have to do some tough love without the fish!

13. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Sashski - Have you tried your cats with raw rabbit? It is the one raw meat my cats never seem to tire of! They have gone off in turn, raw chicken, raw lamb, raw turkey, and have never eaten raw pork or beef (it made them vomit or gave them the squits, so they plain refused it from then on). But raw rabbit they are still nuts about, and it was all I could get them to eat during the very warm weather when they'd lost their normal appetites.

But the problem is rabbit is expensive, unless you happen to know a gamekeeper who would give you a few whole carcasses (and assuming you are not squeamish about the idea of skinning and butchering a carcass). :)

14. sashski

sashski PetForums Senior

Nope rabbit was one of the ones they went off of too :( I might try them again on it, to see how they get on.

I gave them plain lamb and chicken for dinner tonight and they both ran to their feeding mat looked at me as though to say "where's my fish mum?" and walked away!

Im not giving in, that's all they're getting!!!

15. KathinUK

KathinUK PetForums Senior

sashski don't let them go too long without food ... cats need regular feeding otherwise serious health issues can set in ... even after just a day or so.

They can be little hold outs I know .. but if you could get hold of Thrive tuna treats you could sprinkle a little on top of their dinner....

Kath

16. sashski

sashski PetForums Senior

I did see them eat a bit, so I was happy!

They had the last half a teaspoon of applaws in their breakfast this morning and that got mostly gobbled up!

The thrive treats came this morning and they're hooked :D little fish junkies.

17. sashski

sashski PetForums Senior

The thrive treats crushed up and sprinkled on top seems to work, i little treat goes a long way!

Would it be ok to continue like this, so effectively 1 treat each a day?

18. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

As long as they are not Thrive tuna treats it will be fine to give them one a day.
    e.g. chicken flavour is fine.:)

19. KathinUK

KathinUK PetForums Senior

Chillminx I think OP means tuna or fish treats not chicken.

Do you say that cos of the addiction potential of tuna .. or the contamination?

Must say I tried sprinkling tuna on Sally's dinner the other day and she wolfed it! Can really see the temptation :rolleyes:

Kath

20. sashski

sashski PetForums Senior

They are tuna treats :eek: in my defence I ordered them before I knew what I do now!! I'll order some other flavour and hope they have the same effect!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice