Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Raw feeding

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by MerlinsMum, Aug 19, 2009.

1. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

I've noticed some cat owners/breeders here feed raw. I've been looking into raw feeding for my dog, so naturally I'm interested in raw for Cuba (and possibly her kittens) too.

I bought a frozen block of Forthglade raw Rabbit/Chicken mince (broke it into bits with a hammer! lol) thawed some & today discovered Cuba is enjoying it - so I'm very happy as I don't think she's been eating enough since her kittens were born last Thursday. I believe this has bone minced in it, will she need a little raw offal as well? How much raw should she need if she's lactating?

I can get the raw Forthglade locally, so don't mind continuing with that for now, as I don't have freezer space to buy in bulk at the moment. Don't think I will go over to completely raw yet, I would prefer to wean the kittens on to a variety of foods when the time comes as I'm not sure the new owners will want to feed raw, and I wouldn't like to create fussy cats.

Looking forward to hearing more... glad the raw diets are more popular now.

2. i love forthglade, and its funny i didnt know they did a raw diet in blocks lmao! Ive always bought the packets of meat - which is a wet diet and imho very good quality too!

I feed my cats 99% of the time raw, but for hoidays and weekends away they are given either forthglade or feline fayre both of which have excellent high meat contents.

my raw meat comes direct from my butcher who makes it up for me :D

3. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Yes, I've been using the Forthglade wet food too - but have found out it contains vegetables which of course cats don't need! In fact in the latest tub of Chicken & Heart I opened, I can see bits of grated carrot in it.

Anyway this afternoon I chopped some up as normal, and put it on a plate next to some of the thawed raw rabbit/chicken mince, and guess what got eaten! The cooked Forthglade can go to the dog now... lol

4. i agree with ya - but still forthglade is one of the better wet foods

5. ambercat

ambercat PetForums Senior

Forthglade wet food for cats doesnt contain vegetables, mine have this from time to time and it definitely doesnt contain veggies. The version for dogs does contain veggies though.

I feed raw mainly and get my meat from Food 4 Cats Food4-Cats!, Just Food for Cats Nothing More!

6. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Are you sure? I mean.... a tray of Chicken & Heart, Natural Menu (for dogs AND cats), what would the little orange bits be?
    Quote from Forthglade site: Natural Menu - Chicken and Heart
    Meat and animal derivatives (min 40% chicken and 8% heart), derivatives of vegetable origin and minerals. Protein (12.0%), Oil (6.0%), Ash (4.0%), Fibre (0.5%) and Moisture (79.0%)
    I'm puzzled!!!!

It doesn't matter though, having seen my cat's preference for raw, what I really want to know more about is... raw :D

7. Kiskasiberians

Kiskasiberians PetForums Senior

Hi Merlins Mum

What would you like to know more about?

I have fed a raw diet to my cats and kittens for over 4 years now. All my kitten are raised on a combination of raw, wet and dry to ensure that when they go to new homes they will eat whatever is put in front of them with no digestive issues.

If you were going completely raw you should be looking at feeding aboyt 80 - 90%, 5 - 10% Bone, 5 - 10% Offal. No vegetables. No cooked bones. Feed between 2 and 3% of their adult body weight per day (2% to slim, 3% to increase weight 2.5% about average). All meats can be fed, beef, lamb, chicken, pork, ostrich, goat, mice, rats, rabbit etc. Heart is classed as meat not offal if raw feeding.

8. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Ahh thanks, that's what I wanted to know :D
    I'm not sure the percentage of minced bone in the Forthglade mince, but it does have some. I just needed to know how much offal to add.
    As in frozen ones sold for reptile feeding? :eek: I don't think I'm that brave... but I can see why they might be an ideal food.

9. Kiskasiberians

Kiskasiberians PetForums Senior

Yes these are perfect although can work out a little expensive. Day old chicks are also a great food but can be a bit messy as most cats tend to play with them for half an hour and the yolk sag gets everywhere.

10. Ludovica

Ludovica PetForums Newbie

I have been reading a bit about row as i'm very intrested, and I keep finding this formula...
    I was wondering: is it just as simple as that?
    I know they use to calculate everything in the BARF diet as it is done in Germany, and it seemend quite complicated.
    So you are saying that feeding the cat with this formula, and changing the kind of meat often I suppose, you end up with a balanced diet?
    It sounds wonderful, but aren't you afraid of giving too much or not enough of something?

11. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Possibly - but cats evolved to eat whole mice, whole small/baby rats, bits of older rats, parts of young rabbits and sometimes a bird - and nothing else. They have no need for carbohydrates, vegetables or cereals in their diets. Their metabolism hasn't changed in thousands of years: they are what's known as Obligate Carnivores.

Their clever metabolism is so good that any excess protein in the meat-only diet is converted into energy. So, no need for anything else. I learned this many years ago when i first was breeding cats, but then there were no better foods available. I did meet some cat owners who fed raw at the time, but felt it wasn't for me - and I couldn't get the balanced foods they got. But I always included some raw in my cats' diet, mainly because they loved it so much (got very excited at having "prey"!!!) and it was good for their teeth. But before the internet, it was very hard to find out much.

What convinced me was 10 years ago my sister tried BARF for her German Shepherd dog that had a lot of dietary intolerances and skin problems, and I could not believe the change in that dog the next time I saw her.

If I have read and learned correctly, from the good advice I've had so far on this forum (and have also joined a raw feeding group), then if the balance between flesh/bone/offal is correct, there's no problem, and I'm happy to see so many cat owners feeding raw. I may also offer dry food as well, but I'm happy to say I never want to buy another can of cat food again.

12. ambercat

You know, I think that the tray you have is the one for dogs only (with veggies) but I'm thinking there could have been a slip up with the cardboard sleeve and they've put the sleeve that says for dogs AND cats on a tray that is actually for dogs ONLY? because definitely no veggies in the dogs AND cats one.

I am assured by Forthglade that the 'deriviatives of vegetable origin' is in fact a little seaweed! (I contacted them when I had the first packs of Forthglade because I wanted to know what the 'vegetable origin' was).:)

13. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Tis this one: Forthglade pet food manufacturers and I bought it at a local vets, The Cat Clinic (they do what they say on the tin!). I've been getting it there for about a year now, and they do order direct as my friend was the practice manager there for a while. I can't for the life of me work out what the orange bits are, if they aren't carrot. And do you notice, there's no percentage of 'derivatives of veg origin' or further details. *shrug*

Not to worry, I've gone over to raw Forthglade now.

14. ambercat

Yep, thats what I'm saying - I think Forthglade have mixed up the cardboard sleeves and what you actually have is the DOG only version (which does contain veggies i.e. carrots) but the cardboard sleeve is the saying for dogs AND cats (which doesnt contain veggies). When I asked about the derivs of veg origin - I was told it was just a TINY amount of seaweed powder.

Anyway, glad they like the raw Forthglade. :)

15. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

OK will take this up with the Cat Clinic - and Forthglade too. I noticed my cat wasn't as keen. Now I wish I'd taken a pic of the orange bits! but still have one tray left, if it's the same. I'll be giving Cuba's babes some anyway when they are eating as part of their culinary 'edjication' :D

16. irishemma

irishemma PetForums Junior

I just wanted to ask a quick question about raw feeding. I have been feeding Buttercup on a combination of raw and other foods. However, she is not always very quick to eat and will sometimes leave the food for over an hour (she does this really cute thing where she tries to bury it). Is it safe to leave raw food out - or any food apart from dry in fact - or will I risk giving her some nasty infection if I do that?

I'd really appreciate any guidence on this.

Thanks

Emma

17. spid

spid PetForums VIP

I pop it back in the fridge Emma, put cling film over it and it will stay moist and then take it back out later.

18. irishemma

irishemma PetForums Junior

Cheers!

I will try that - although I think she may have decided she doesn't like rabbit this week. She loved the chicken but refused the rabbit - ended up giving her tuna applaws which she wolfed down. Fussy madam!

19. Coraline

Coraline PetForums Member

Simple answer: Yes and Yes :)

It is just as simple as that, and I do worry that I may be getting the balance wrong.

What I did to stop myself worrying was I took my cat to the vet a few months after switching to raw. There they did a full blood screen, which would have told me if I'd been feeding too much/little of something. The bloodtests were all fine, and now I get this done at his yearly checkup (instead of booster vaccines, but that's for another thread!).

Just thought I'd mention the bloodtests, because they're a good way of checking that the diet is sufficient and also my vet said he wished more people would do bloodtests as they're great for catching any problems early, while they can still be successfully treated. :)

20. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

I tried mine with raw this week.

Tilly - 5 year old (outside cat) looked at it like it was alien.

Poppy - 18 weeks wolfed it down and meowed and meowed and refused to eat her Hilife for a day! She is now having it balanced, what a mess she was in dirty little girl, her chest fluff covered in rabbit etc! I tried to hide some dry foor in the rabbit but she just done her scraping on the floor in disgust again. :D (Gawd I love her quirky ways)

Misty - Misty I tried because of her dicky tummy but unfortunately it seems she will need her prescription food as she still had a bad tummy after 2 days. I mixed a little in with her prescription food and she now semi-likes the prescription food and poos are better, I have aldo ordered different brands of prec. foods in the hope she likes them better. (sorry if TMI).

I have to admit to semi-barfing when the first parcel arrived as I opened it and there was blood all over the floor! I am better with it now.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice