Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Raw Feeding

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Veba, Jan 31, 2021.

1. Veba

Veba PetForums Member

For various reasons we're looking to move to raw (completes) . I've read quite a bit but as usual there is so much information and a lot is conflicting. He's a nearly 3 year old show cocker spaniel currently fed on kibble.

The questions I have so far are:

How strict should we be with transition? I've read 1 week of green tripe but local shop says 3 days then 3 days boneless beef then on to bones.

How strict should we be with kibble as treats? Or anything as treats really. We give (in moderation) cheese, primula, yogurt, ham, biscuits bones, sausage, peanut butter, and veg. He does get mainly natural treats though.

I'm looking at feeding MVM. Any reason not to? Or any other recommendations in the same price range? Was hoping to buy from a local shop but we do have quite a lot of options.

Any recommendations for Facebook groups or forums? I've not liked the few I've joined so far.

2. Veba

Veba PetForums Member

Bumping in the hope someone can answer...

3. Mum2Ozzy

Mum2Ozzy PetForums Member

Hey, i don't have personal experience with raw but did some reading about it as I considered it for our puppy. I've come across information that to introduce raw you can skip evening meal and serve raw for breakfast, single protein. Or introduce it slowly like with any new food. Having said that my puppy eats mostly wet/home cooked food and I have him raw chicken wing couple of times with no adverse effect on his digestion. Have you read sticky thread on raw here? X

Veba likes this.
  4. CheddarS

CheddarS PetForums VIP

I feed raw and would do a slow transition as then you can see if there are issues. MVM are great so good choice. Join Facebook BARF UK as they have loads of useful advice and guidance

5. Veba

Veba PetForums Member

I read the sticky at the start of my research but it's 10 years old and what I've read since contradicts some things!

6. Veba

Veba PetForums Member

That's the only group I'm still in but they seem very rigid! I think their transition guide includes DIY but I'm not wanting to do that even for a short while. I'll have another read through. Thanks.

7. Mum2Ozzy

Mum2Ozzy PetForums Member

Look up cam the vet nutritionist, he's promoting raw and if I remember correctly there was info about introducing raw there x

8. Veba

Veba PetForums Member

Thanks, I just saw that on another thread so off to read now.

We're running out of kibble so I must get a plan in place!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice