UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello :)

New member. The story: we have taken in a stray tabby. Lovely thing but was in a bit of a state, his collar was cutting into him and he had been catching his own food or raiding bins in the garden my wife works in. We started feeding him pouches of whiskas as that is what we got from our local shop. He wolfed it down for the first few days as he was clearly hungry. Then he would just lick the jelly off.

Previously, before we bought him home he had caught a squirrel and deposited it in front of my misses. She brought it home for me and I skinned, gutted and butchered it. I put it in the freezer to be sure any parasites were destroyed. When the cat started to stop eating the pouches I figured that he has been eating prey so I defrosted it and tentatively offered it up. He really enjoyed it and now responds to the sound of my cleaver! I have done a fair bit of research already as raw feeding always interested me and I am comfortable with the 80/10/10 ratios. But I do have a few questions.

1. When trying to figure out ratios how do you work out how much bone there is to meat? For example, if I give him a chicken wing as opposed to a rabbit
quarter?
2. Is supermarket/butcher etc the way to go? Rabbit seems extortionate at the moment! Happy to deal with fur on though. Any good places to buy would be handy to know.
3. Fish. Obviously not too much but are there any I should avoid? My local African supermarket sells tilapia at a fair price and I may consider it on occasion.
4. Taurine. Am I right that taurine occurs in higher levels in muscles that work harder? For example, more taurine in thighs than breast? How do I make sure I am fulfilling all of his requirements in regards to b vitamins and others, and minerals. If possible I would prefer to feed naturally rather than add supplements.
5 amounts. The vet weighed in at 3 kilos. Does this mean 90 grams is optimum? Is it give or take as he is only 7 months old- ish.

I am probably going to find more to ask, and I thank anyone for their input. I just want to make sure I can provide him all he needs and sometimes the net can be... Conflicting :)

·
Registered
361 Posts
Well done for taking in the stray cat. You might find asking your questions here will give you lots of help.

rawcat : Raw Cat

I used to be subscribed and they advocate a franken pray/whole pray method with no grinding or supplements which is the route you seem to be going down.

Taurine is highest in dark meat and especially hearts.

The only thing I can add, is that as the little guy is still growing he should be allowed to consume as much food as he wants.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Tylah! I have joined the group and I am just waiting for approval. Thank you for your comments, it is good to know he can have more whilst he is growing. We offer but if he isn't interested in a short while we remove it until he next seems to want it. Wasn't quite expecting the reaction to a poussin leg, he threw it all over the place! I can see this might get messy :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.