Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Raw feeding success!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Charleigh, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Charleigh

Charleigh PetForums VIP

We took the plunge a month and a bit ago. We started raw feeding Teddy. It is going brilliantly!

We have gone quite slow and have only just introduced tripe as the forth meat. That went down really well. She prefers her bones. As long as she doesn't have the same mince twice in a row she likes mince. A lamb spine even found its way onto my bed once! (I was not very happy with that!)

She loves chicken! Especially wings. She seems to really like her meals now. Sometimes she will whine when I come in which is what she did when she was a little puppy and loved her food so that's great to see. :)

We have gone from 1/2 - 1 meal every 2-3 days. To usually 2 meals a day and treats!

She really is flourising. For the last few months she has weighed 10.2kg not moving much. She's starting to look so much healthier (she looked too skinny before). We went to the vets and she weighs a whopping 11.1kg today! :)

I'm so happy, she seems really happy. Sometimes she will lie down with the bigger bones and munch for hours. Before she used to be so impatient and lose interest in anything (I.e food in Kongs)

I would like to thank sixstar, sleeping lion, and SLB. I couldn't have made the switch without all your help! Answering all my insane questions! :)

Thanks everyone that gave me advice :)

2. Rainchild

Rainchild PetForums Junior

Sounds like everything is going fantastic. It's lovely to see how excited they get about their food on raw. My ol boy prances when it's his dinner and breakfast time. He loves his raw so much :)

3. tinaK

tinaK PetForums VIP

Well done :) Raw feeding is amazing.. mine are so much better on it too :D

4. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

:) Glad she's getting on fine with it. But you're missing something.. pictures of her eating. To be a true raw feeder you have to take part in this slightly perverse activity at least once. :lol:

5. Charleigh

Charleigh PetForums VIP

I was thinking of taking some but I didn't think anyone would want to see them! Ill take some later :)

6. Charleigh

Charleigh PetForums VIP

*raw meat warning*

Here's a picture of Teddy eating chicken wings! :)

[​IMG]

7. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Do you know, I feel really bad, but I can't remember helping you :eek:

I get umpteen enquiries per day, but I am really, really glad I did help, and it's lovely to see and hear about the changes.

One thing I have found with cockers, and I don't know if this is to do with the shape of their mouths, but chicken backs were the best for cleaning teeth.

8. Charleigh

Charleigh PetForums VIP

You emailed me a barf guide. :)

Chicken backs? What part is that? She has chicken carcasses.

9. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Chicken carcasses may have the back on there, it's the bit with the spine on, the chest cavity is also good but the spine seems to have the benefit of getting into all the little gaps and crevices.

Edited to add, I email my guide out two or three times a day and have various email conversations with people, so hopefully you'll forgive me my lapse in memory, but I couldn't hope to remember every single person!

10. Charleigh

Charleigh PetForums VIP

It's okay :)

I think they do it does look like a spine. We get them free from our butcher :)

11. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Phew!!

I have a terrible memory, so it doesn't help when people tell me that I've been emailing them to help them switch their dogs over. I am more likely to remember the dog I'm afraid :eek:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice