Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

raw feeding-spiky boney poo?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by laurahair, Nov 24, 2012.

1. laurahair

laurahair PetForums Member

tess has been eating raw for a couple of days but this morning she yelped a lot in the garden then ran inside with a very spiky poop hanging :eek:
    It was firm but not incredibly solid so i assume the yelping was because of the bone shards? She has been crunching them while eating but they're obviously not being digested yet :(

Do I cut back on the bones or do something else? I've been feeding meaty bones like chicken thighs and breast on the bone, I don't really want to have to start taking the meat off the bone unless I have to. I didn't really want to introduce liver quite this soon (though i have some coming with shopping this evening), and as I say it's not that her poo was really hard, just really spiky. ouch, poor hound :(

2. laurahair

laurahair PetForums Member

Just to add-have been out for a walk when she did a very normal poop with no trouble, it was firm and practically smell-free :D

Hoping the spiky poo was a one off...

3. DirtyGertie

DirtyGertie PetForums VIP

I'd go for chicken wings to start with, I think the bones are softer. Once she has got used to digesting them you could move on.

Poppy has had drumsticks and thighs, and she did once have a poo which made her yelp, but I now stick to chicken wings and necks, bone-in rabbit, lamb ribs and pork ribs.

4. Lil Doglets

Lil Doglets PetForums VIP

I'd stick with smaller softer bones for a while if she isn't digesting them properly, my yorkie had bone shards in her poo in the beginning too although she never yelped or anything. as time goes on her body will get better at digesting it :)

5. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

Chicken bones are more flexible so don't cause problems usually. Mine occasionally have boney poos but I think it's where they've been over zealous with a meal and not chewed them enough, it doesn't cause them problem yet sometimes I don't know how. Perhaps holding onto the wing etc while she eats may help her slow down a little. You can also bash the food with a hammer to break it up a bit before giving it to her until she gets used to eating more slowly.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice