Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

raw feeding question

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by dvnbiker, Apr 10, 2011.

1. dvnbiker

dvnbiker PetForums Senior

I have swopped 3 BCs over to a raw diet and they have been on it for about a month now.

My eldest is 8 and is crossed with a springer. He suffers from dry skin and quite often got sore patches. The sore patches have stopped since being on raw but his dry skin suddenly seems to have got worse. Somebody has suggested that this is his body going through a detox and it should clear with time. Is this right?

2. SixStar

SixStar Banned

The detox period generally lasts about a month and a half so the dry skin might clear after this, but it could also be a case of him needing more oils in his diet. Dog foods, particularly dry food, have quite a high oil content which helps the skin, and a natural BARF diet has very little, so it's quite common to notice a change in skin condition with a very sensitive dog after switching. I'd try feeding oily fish a couple of tins a week (raw salmon, mackerel etc or tinned sardines) or giving a supplement oil, or increasing the dose if you already give one.

3. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Make sure he gets a raw egg at least once a week, and try ground almonds, or freshly blend them yourself (just a few a week in with blended veg or minced meat/bones) as well as cracked linseed, again, you can buy it cracked or just blitz it in the blender and add to their food.

It might be that he's reacting to something in the raw diet, it doesn't suit all dogs 100%, so you may need to try a process of elimination if it doesn't clear up.

4. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Also, does he get alot of beef and pork? These can trigger skin irritations.

5. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Just thinking off the top of my head here, both mine, and all the OH's dogs have had much more scurfy skin and abundant coat loss this spring, we think because of the very cold snap, followed by wet cold snap, followed by sudden spring weather?

6. Jasper's Bloke

Jasper's Bloke PetForums VIP

There may well be something to Sleeping Lions theory. My dog has a wonderful coat, pure black and so shiny that even complete strangers will often comment on it, but I have noticed in just the last week/10 day he has got a bit flaky. I gave him a (very rare) brush the other day and he was losing a lot of hair, so I put it down to the sudden temperature rise at the time. Even on our family :)eek:) walk this afternoon in the glorious sunshine (all hail DT!) my wife commented that this time last year we were forecast snow and ice.

Apart from that if he has just suddenly got worse after showing signs of improvement have there been any other changes to his diet, introduction of a new food for example? If not then I would put it down to the weather, but continue to monitor closely.

Mine gets two whole sardines per week and an egg or two, both great for the skin. I have a friend who has just started keeping geese, so the may also be goose eggs on the horizon!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice