UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having tried hard to read and find info in the raw feeding thread and got a little confused I thought I would just ask :eek:

I've had a huge box of chicken carcasses delivered, the chicken is all chopped in to chunks, bone and all.

Is it ok to have chicken like this as most of Indie's diet as far as raw goes (2 meals a day), I can't work out if this gives her the right meat to bone ratio. She has offal once a week and still has a meal of dry fish4dogs mixed with veg/pilchards etc once a day.
I am finding it sooo tricky :confused:

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Best thing I dd was stop worrying about ratios. Try to feed in bone meal legs/ thigh/ neck/ while poultry. With carcass I tend to feed with a tripe day after, liver along side carcass or a egg. Ratios balance out over the month. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
So either feed carcass and then Tomo tripe or offal.

Or feed carcass with some liver.

Just keep an eye if she's new to raw she might need you to hold the small chunks incase she gobbles them.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
The ratios aren't quite so important if you're feeding only partly raw :)

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your replies :)
I reckon I am over thinking it all, complete food was so much easier to do! I want to keep her on some of the kibble as it makes life a little easier especially when on holidays etc.

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
I don't worry about ratios anymore. If her poop is a bit too dry I feed more boneless and if its too soft I feed a bit extra bone. She has to have about 4 days of boneless meals (beef & pork heart) per week to keep her poops perfect :D

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
I don't worry about ratios anymore. If her poop is a bit too dry I feed more boneless and if its too soft I feed a bit extra bone. She has to have about 4 days of boneless meals (beef & pork heart) per week to keep her poops perfect :D
Goes to show how true it is about every dog being different and to be guided by YOUR dog and no-one else's ;)

If Alfie doesn't get *some* bone every day then his poop goes a bit Mr Whippy :rolleyes:

·
Registered
961 Posts
I don't worry about ratios anymore. If her poop is a bit too dry I feed more boneless and if its too soft I feed a bit extra bone.
This is exactly what I do too...the first time I did raw I worked myself up something silly trying to work out feeding amounts and ratios etc and in the end I gave up...now I fee a mince for brekfast and then normally a boney meal in the evening with some meat chunks occasionally...I add heart a couple of times a week, I add some tinned fish a couple of times per week etc and I just go by them :D

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Thank you for your replies :)
I reckon I am over thinking it all, complete food was so much easier to do! I want to keep her on some of the kibble as it makes life a little easier especially when on holidays etc.
Try to chillax about it a bit, I was like you when I started Logan on raw and now I quite enjoy 'choosing' what to thaw out for him for the next day! :D sad I know!! Lol

I don't worry too much about ratios, I am upping his liver to 5-10% as he has only been having little tasters of it, but if he is too dry and firm he has a tripe day which softens him up and he only really has bones 3-4days a week as he has minces with bone in them the other days. He has a variety of lamb ribs, chicken wings, liver, tripe, chicken mince, lamb and chicken necks so far. He has been on raw for about 6 weeks now.

I also kept Logan on a kibble meal once a day but decided to ditch that once I saw him enjoying the raw so much and also I read a lot of info about kibble taking 12 hours to digest compared to raw taking 4-6 hours max! I don't like the thought of Logan having a tummy full of digesting kibble for 12 hours as it always worries me that that is one of the causes of bloat! (just my opinion don't think it's proven that this causes bloat but it certainly can't be good for their tummies all that kibble, swelling when added to digestive juices then digesting for ever?!)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.