Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Raw feeding help

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Alisa25, May 31, 2010.

1. Alisa25

Alisa25 PetForums Senior

Hey everyone! :)

Basically need some help and advice from raw feeders regarding converting my dog to raw.

She is an 8 year old dalmatian that has been fed James Wellbeloved dry and Butchers tins all her life. After discovering rather unsettling figures about dog foods I have decided to slowly convert my doggie to raw. Plus we gave her a raw egg (shell and all) and she LOVED it. Even though she was soo scared of it at first lol. :lol: The look of pure confusion on a dog's face when she cracked it and egg white started coming out = Priceless! :D

So not the only thing is: I need help with formulating the 'menu'. :p

I know that you need to feed 80% meat and 10% organs and 10% bones. However I dont know how to start going about it. Should I introduce her slowly or just start feeding raw out of the blue? Also - if she has big bones sometimes - they dont really agree with her, she pooes more than normal and its a bit loose.. Does this mean a problem with regard to raw bones?

The other thing Im concerned about - the price of meat. There should be 80%of meat in this diet so what cuts do people buy for their dogs? Obviously not steak or fillets... :lol: Do you use a butcher? I suppose butchers can give discounts if you buy in bulk..

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot! :)

2. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

The best thing to start her on is chicken quarters not too much bone. A lot of bone can cause constipation so that could be a problem. I just put them straight onto it personally. Buster gets chicken quarters, turkey necks and wings, beef and pork ribs with salmon sometimes. Then he has liver, heart, lungs etc

3. Alisa25

Alisa25 PetForums Senior

Right ok. So how many times do you feed? And do you put the quarters and mix with organs? Or have several meals a day and for eg. give organs in the morning and chicken q. in the evening?

Thanks. :thumbup:

4. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

I feed twice a day but a mix in both meals

5. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

Just begin by offering the odd chicken wing and gradually increasing.

I order my raw food from Landywood Pet Foods : Home

It's much cheaper than from a butchers - but I do call in to the butchers to see if they have any dog bones.

6. Alisa25

Alisa25 PetForums Senior

Thanks. And MAJOR thanks for the link!! When I saw the prices i was like :eek6::eek::D! 30p, 60p, 65p.. Wow! :thumbup:

7. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

No probs. :) I've just sorted out a batch of chicken wings to defrost - you should have seen the audience. :D :thumbup:

8. Alisa25

Alisa25 PetForums Senior

Hahaha oh I can imagine. You have setters and wolfhounds, right? How many? :)

Btw the Landywood website says your order has to be over £30.. How many kilos of stuff do you freaking have to order to get to that figure? :lol:

9. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Don't discount local suppliers, I pay £2.50 for 15kg of chicken carcasses, and get lamb bones for free from the butchers.

If you email me [email protected] I'll send you a guide, that I use for feeding my Labradors, it gives the weights for meals so you just have to adjust accordingly.

10. katiefranke

katiefranke PetForums VIP

Some really useful info on here for you about switching to raw and some common questions and answers which includes what to feed:

Switching to a Raw Diet

Practical Answers to Practical Questions About Raw

As others have said it is good to stick with one protein source first to introduce the raw diet and I would recommend literally switching over cold tukey so to speak. It can upset their tums slightly initially as per any food change but this should be short-lived, if at all.

Once they are used to the one source, then start introducing a second.

Chicken (whole and portion yourself) and pork (ribs fed in slabs or a few at a time or chunks of meat) are good and cheap staples - also rabbit (but dependant on the source check for shot and freeze for 3 weeks if wild to kill any parasites).

Heart is a great and cheap source too - this should be counted towards the 80% meat as it is a muscle, so not classed as offal/organs for the % purpose.

For the 10% offal I try and make sure I give approx 1/2 of this as liver and then half other organs and always get free-range liver as it takes out the waste from the animal.

Then I also give a couple of whole raw eggs a week and some oily fish.

I tend to get stuff from my local free-range butchers mainly, but sometimes pick up deals in supermarkets too.

I sometimes pick up beef and lamb etc on special or at the end of the day when they sell it cheaper. Farmers markets are also great, especially if you go just before they pack up, you can often get a load of cheap.

Casserole cuts of beef and lamb are good too as they tend to be cheaper.

I think on average I spend around £1.50 per day for Maggie who is about 17.5/18kg but you can do it a lot cheaper if you look around and dont worry about free-range etc.

#10 katiefranke, Jun 1, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice