Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Raw feeding going really well...

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by yamazumi, Sep 25, 2013.

1. yamazumi

yamazumi PetForums Member

... I feel like something has to go wrong at some point haha.

I got Rory just over 3 weeks ago and put her onto raw on the Wednesday (got her the Monday), had chicken for a week (started on wings and did a great job of crunching them up), them lamb two weeks ago, then beef last week (tripe went in somewhere along the line, think it was about a week and a half in), and yesterday she had a single tiny sprat to see how it went and she had more today with no ill effects.

She may have had some rabbit (I got some minces mixed up and it looked a lot like the lamb mince), and a tiny amount of pork.

And so far her poos have been great, she's had a couple of softer ones, but compared to kibble poo's, still a darn site firmer, usually it was one that came out very firm and got softer towards the end. Had the occasional one that showed too much bone but a couple of meatier meals later and they were balanced again.

I know puppies general cope well but she just seems to be doing so well! Hasn't turned her nose up at anything and everything has come out the other end fine.

Rabbit or pork are next on the agenda, and after that I'll hopefully be putting a proper order in somewhere rather than getting bits and bobs here and there.

My mum shops at Morrison's and I've been getting some good meat scraps from the butchers there (most just lamb, pork, and beef so I haven't actually fed any yet but have about 3.5kg in total), and my local butchers give away bones (which I've been using on a recreational basis). They apparently also sell scraps but since I've got so much from Morrison's I haven't bothered to ask yet.

Here she is with some lamb ribs!

[​IMG]

2. pogo

pogo PetForums VIP

pups are soooo much easier to swap! Harvey never had any problems either :D

3. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

Pups are definitely easier. Lou's first raw meal was a whole raw rabbit (skinned and gutted) and he just dragged it around the garden for 10 minutes, nibbled for a few seconds then got into it and ate it. 45-50 minutes later, this pot bellied dog walked into my house, burped and laid down :lol:

Pen on the other hand dived on anything I gave her. She had to stay on dry a little longer than I wanted, due to a holiday (which she came on with us). But we got some bits and bobs from a groomers which we gave her too.

Glad Rory is doing well.. :)

4. ellenlouisepascoe

ellenlouisepascoe PetForums VIP

The Labrador! Guts of steel :D
    How I miss that!

5. sopott

sopott PetForums Senior

i wish i had introduced snoopy to raw when he was a pup! one year on raw, and anything bigger than the palm of my hand he just ignores as food, and drags around...

gorgeous pic, btw. what a happy puppy

6. CheddarS

CheddarS PetForums VIP

Yes, I wish....:rolleyes:

He is so much better on raw, but still not completely consistent.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice