Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Raw Feeding: everything you need to know!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by katiefranke, Jul 11, 2010.

1. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

Muscle meat with a small amount of bone should work fine or if you know someone with a heavy duty grinder that could do the trick:)

2. Diane J

Diane J PetForums Newbie

Yep, we're going to buy one of those this week before we start bones again. We've just really slowed down the process and learned some lessons, and at least the little guy wasn't harmed. He's very resilient and just a very happy little guy.

3. Abbas

Abbas PetForums Newbie

I have a german shepard 4months old and he is suffering from viral infection his stool is of dark colour i went to the vet he gave him injections of antibiotics for.continious 3.days but still.his symptoms are same and he was not eating i gave him infacol and in the night i fed him some.dogfood but after two days now he is again not eating anything any suggestion what can i do

4. David Smith

David Smith PetForums Newbie

Helpful thread! Thank you!

5. wee man

wee man PetForums VIP

Our last puppy that we bought was a kibble fed puppy, I changed her over to an all meat diet within 2 days. There were no problems at all she just continued enjoying her new type of food, her poo's changed instantly and were nice and firm (as you would expect). Her condition improved quickly and her coat began to shine. She was introduced to bones as soon as the next lot arrived, (usually once a week), an assortment of chicken, pork, lamb or beef.
    I have never used complete raw diets as it would be too expensive, neither is it natural to feed completely balanced meals every day. Complete raw diets are excellent for peace of mind, although if you are able to use a good variety of meat types a, including fat, gristle, offal and bones over a period of a few weeks, then this will create the balanced diet that our dogs need.
    Our puppy was eating the same as our adult dogs, and learnt how to eat bones safely without any problems straight away. Bones were always big so that she couldn't swallow any of them whole while she was learning (I certainly would not chop bones up small or try to crush them either ! )
    The change over is very easy, and quiet safe. I have fed raw for 35 to 40 years and weaned puppies onto raw diets too, with bones starting at 4.5 weeks.
    White chalky poo can be corrected quiet quickly by adding more meat content. Our lot quiet often have chalky poo's for a few days depending on how many bones they are given. ( it does them no harm)

Enjoy your puppy and his new diet, you will all be fine.:)

niamh123 likes this.
  6. petokulu

petokulu PetForums Newbie

very nice information thanks :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice