Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Raw Feeding: everything you need to know!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by katiefranke, Jul 11, 2010.

1. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

Muscle meat with a small amount of bone should work fine or if you know someone with a heavy duty grinder that could do the trick:)

2. Diane J

Diane J PetForums Newbie

Yep, we're going to buy one of those this week before we start bones again. We've just really slowed down the process and learned some lessons, and at least the little guy wasn't harmed. He's very resilient and just a very happy little guy.

3. Abbas

Abbas PetForums Newbie

I have a german shepard 4months old and he is suffering from viral infection his stool is of dark colour i went to the vet he gave him injections of antibiotics for.continious 3.days but still.his symptoms are same and he was not eating i gave him infacol and in the night i fed him some.dogfood but after two days now he is again not eating anything any suggestion what can i do

4. David Smith

David Smith PetForums Newbie

Helpful thread! Thank you!

5. wee man

wee man PetForums VIP

Our last puppy that we bought was a kibble fed puppy, I changed her over to an all meat diet within 2 days. There were no problems at all she just continued enjoying her new type of food, her poo's changed instantly and were nice and firm (as you would expect). Her condition improved quickly and her coat began to shine. She was introduced to bones as soon as the next lot arrived, (usually once a week), an assortment of chicken, pork, lamb or beef.
    I have never used complete raw diets as it would be too expensive, neither is it natural to feed completely balanced meals every day. Complete raw diets are excellent for peace of mind, although if you are able to use a good variety of meat types a, including fat, gristle, offal and bones over a period of a few weeks, then this will create the balanced diet that our dogs need.
    Our puppy was eating the same as our adult dogs, and learnt how to eat bones safely without any problems straight away. Bones were always big so that she couldn't swallow any of them whole while she was learning (I certainly would not chop bones up small or try to crush them either ! )
    The change over is very easy, and quiet safe. I have fed raw for 35 to 40 years and weaned puppies onto raw diets too, with bones starting at 4.5 weeks.
    White chalky poo can be corrected quiet quickly by adding more meat content. Our lot quiet often have chalky poo's for a few days depending on how many bones they are given. ( it does them no harm)

Enjoy your puppy and his new diet, you will all be fine.:)

niamh123 likes this.
  6. petokulu

petokulu PetForums Newbie

very nice information thanks :)

7. RonnieC

RonnieC PetForums Junior

Quick question, I'm going to start feeding raw at the end of this month and doing my order today. Per BARF guidelines I'm going to start him on tripe but I'm not sure he's going to like it. I remember giving him a tripe mix wet food once and he completely refused it. If he doesn't like it can I just jump to week two? Chicken mince ect.

8. wee man

wee man PetForums VIP

My answer would be yes, absolutely.
    Not everyone starts with tripe, some will start with chicken. There are always guidelines for so many ways of feeding. Introducing raw products is much easier than the dry foods and with less problems.
    I hope your chap learns to enjoy his raw meals, it is a lovely product.

Just out of interest, what brand/make of raw product will you be ordering ?

niamh123 likes this.
  9. RonnieC

RonnieC PetForums Junior

Thanks! Was going to order from natural instinct for this first month but then was enlightened to a store not far from us that stocks everything and more so will be popping down there tomorrow with him and will buy just one pack of tripe to see if he'll have it. They use the dogs butcher I believe.

niamh123 likes this.
  10. Bentley's Dad

Bentley's Dad PetForums Newbie

I struggled at first when I made the switch to raw but I'm happy to say feeding prey, much like the original author of this thread, has turned out to be the best, healthiest method of raw feeding for my 18 month old dachshund.
    He didn't much care for anything commercial. Raw or kibble. I've come to largely trust his instincts when it comes to learning to feed raw/prey.
    Same with how much to feed actually. I've found he guides me in how much to feed. While he's actually gained a lb. or so, he's not overweight.
    Due to his dislike for any kibble, I started mixing cooked meat with it at first. From the time I got him at 4 months old.
    I finally went 100% prey shortly after he turned 1.
    I buy mostly from the grocery store and meat market for a few specislty things like his chicken feet for treats and 12lbs.of lamb liver I cut up and packaged for the freezer.
    He doesn't necessarily get a balanced diet every meal or everyday but I think I do an adequate job of getting it pretty close over the course of a week or even 2.
    Chicken, turkey, beef, and lamb for variety. He loves turkey wings! I break them into 3 sections. He devours the tip in no time.
    I worry some about the bones still but he chews them pretty good. Same with chicken feet. He'll crunch them up for 10 or 15 minutes then swallow them whole.
    Probably the hardest part was getting him to eat any fish. But he's finally started eating salmon fillets. I've heard bad things about fish oil being ransid so I refrained from that. He won't eat eggs unless it's part of my loaded omlet biscuit tho.
    As you can see he's a healthy red, longhaired dachshund with a beatiful coat.

Attached Files:

wee man likes this.
  11. wee man

wee man PetForums VIP

Well done you @Bentley's Dad
    What a lucky and lovely chap Bentley is.

12. Bentley's Dad

Bentley's Dad PetForums Newbie

Looks like you've got a few good looking longhairs there yourself.

13. wee man

wee man PetForums VIP

Working type Cocker Spaniels !!

14. RonnieC

RonnieC PetForums Junior

Quick question, I messed up my order! Accidentally purchased chicken complete mince and turkey complete mince which I know I can't give yet so I've got chicken breasts for week 2 to feed 1/4 chicken & 3/4 tripe but for week 3 am I good to use chicken thighs for bone content? Sorry if sounds like daft question.

15. wee man

wee man PetForums VIP

Yes chicken thighs will be fine, wings are ok and necks too and the carcass.

RonnieC and niamh123 like this.
  16. lee smithurst

lee smithurst PetForums Newbie

hello, iv been feeding my dog raw for a couple of years now, and its the best thing iv done! iv been feeding the the bulmer blocks for convenience, i wonder if anyone has used the southcliffe brand? and if so how is it

17. Deanna Grinnel

Deanna Grinnel PetForums Newbie

It looks a great story...

18. Little-moomin

Little-moomin PetForums VIP

Would raw chicken/ lamb/ beef mince, an egg, a few sardines, some raw chicken wings (other bones when puppy is older), some carrot, apple and broccoli be a good place to start with raw feeding?

19. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

Yes but you need to feed around 10% bone

20. RonnieC

RonnieC PetForums Junior

Back again, hoping someone on here can help!
    During the summer when I kibble fed my boy had a sudden upset tum and was pooping blood. Took him to the vet and they didn't really give an explanation, passed me some antibiotics and told me to put him on a bland diet for a week.
    Today he pooped jelly like blood again and after some research I realise it's probably colitis.

I've put him on boiled chicken/cod and rice tonight and will continue to do so for the next few days. Just wondering how I go about feeding raw again afterwards.

He's been on beef mince and chicken wings since last Tuesday and not had any problems until today. Been researching low fat meats so I know what would be best to put him on but wondering how I can work that in while following a guide that says beef/chicken this week and duck /beef week after.

I'm slightly confused on what to do and I did a shop for two months so I've got plenty of beef mince, duck wings, chicken wings, chicken hearts and completes of all the above to move onto afterwards :Arghh

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice