Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Raw Feeding: everything you need to know!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by katiefranke, Jul 11, 2010.

1. lee smithurst

lee smithurst PetForums Newbie

also what the offal for?

2. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

Yes that's right but as I said start off with tiny amounts
    I also feed raw eggs,natural yoghurt and natural cheese mine also love raw carrot,bananas and apples
    The offal has loads of nutrients in it that the meat does not,I also feed green tripe which again has loads of nutrients in it the dogs love it but it is a bit smelly:)

lee smithurst likes this.
  3. JessandJackson_x

JessandJackson_x PetForums Member

I raid the meat reductions as M&S and Waitrose as they usually are quite generous in size and not packed with water - and they also do a lot of game. A typical week for Jackson is scrambled or raw egg, carrots, broccoli, bananas (good in a kong, spend hours trying to lick out), spinige (in proportion and I get the frozen cubes), turkey mince, chicken wings, chicken fillets, stewing steak... I stock up on brown rice, big bags of mixed veg and frozen white fish. One type of offal twice a week as it's quite rich and I note he gets the runs quite easily.
    He's had his first raw bone from the posh pet shop the other day and it was small but he loved it but bought most of it back up in the night so I am going to wait a bit until he's 8 months.
    I spend probably 20 quid a week doing all that and I feel it's cheaper than pet shop frozen raw and probably still as healthy.

4. lee smithurst

iv just started my older dog on raw, and it just doesnt seem much food! shes 20kg so around 5/600g a day.. im alternating blocks of chicken and tripe every day and going to start adding liver slowly too!

only been doing it a couple of days so cant see any change, but just looks very little in her bowl.. specially when my other dogs get a 2blocks of meat a day

5. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

Puppies need a lot more food than older dogs,keep an eye on your older dogs body condition if you think she looks like she is losing weight up her food that's the joy of feeding raw you feed to your dogs body condition,my 3 have more than what is recommended as the 2-3% makes them look on the lean side

6. lee smithurst

yeah she is fairly lean already.. also iv been splitting it into 2 meals,maybe ill just just give her one meal a day

7. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

I would stick with 2 meals a day but just give her a little extra maybe a chicken wing added

8. lee smithurst

just chuck it in with the bones?

9. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

Put it in with the meat blocks

10. lee smithurst

do you just mash it all togetger? may put a egg in there aswell? fill it out abit

11. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

Yes just put in what you want to feed for that meal for examplw tonight Sally has had
    meat block
    Raw egg and shell
    some pork no bone
    and 2 chicken wings

12. lee smithurst

okay thankyou, ill stock up on chicken wings to bulk her food out

13. lee smithurst

what are the rules as far as bones and a choking hazard?

14. Rebecca F

Rebecca F PetForums Newbie

Very interesting read

15. JessandJackson_x

JessandJackson_x PetForums Member

Google Bruno's Dinner in Crawley - neat little find and great prices. Going to take a drive down there this weekend.

16. slacky

slacky PetForums Newbie

hey guys

looking for abit of advice concerning feeding my dog raw meat. He's 18 months old and been on raw meat ever since he was born. Roughly when he turned 1 he started stratching quite bad and red rashes started appearing. Been to the vets numerous times did the usual checks but nothing came back. I was speaking to one of my neighbours and he's had a similar situation in his dog who's on raw meat and it turns out its the bacteria on the meat. He's changed his dog to biscuits now and its seemed to have sorted the problem. If I'm honest i don't really want to change to biscuits id rather keep him on raw meat. Has any one had this problem before any advice would be appreciated

17. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

What breed of dog do you have,as long as your meat has been kept in the fridge and not out of date I doubt it's bacteria on the meat,he may be allergic to one of the meats you are feeding but since it only started 6 months ago I also doubt this,has he been having something different in the last 6 months

18. slacky

slacky PetForums Newbie

He’s a staff. It’s kept in the freezer then removed to defrost before giving it to him. He’s been on exactly the same type of food and from the same supplier every since we got him 18 months ago. When I took him to the vets a while ago they said the Alergies tend to show when they turn 1

19. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

My breed also suffer with allergies,he could be allergic to anything my old boy Trav had loads of allergies grass was one of them,you could try tryig one meat protein at a time say chicken for 10 days if he's okay with that them try another meat this way you should be able to see if it is a meat source which he has allergies with.I always keep antihistamines in the house you can buy these yourself from the chemist don't bother going for an expensive one a generic version is fine

Baldyegghead likes this.
  20. Laura C

Laura C Merle Frenchie

Hi,
    I'm very new to raw feeding (on week 2) I just want to make sure I'm doing it right as there's so many conflicting things over the internet about what you should and shouldn't be doing. Below are the items I feed my dog but I only balance over time not daily. Is this correct? Am I right in thinking I don't need to give him bones and offal every day?

At the moment he has the following thing;
    chicken mince
    beef mince
    sardines
    sprats
    Eggs + shells
    duck wings
    Veg; cucumber, celery, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans
    Sweet Potatoes
    Liver chunks
    chicken hearts
    Will be introducing tripe next week.

However, I only give egg 2-3 times a week, fish twice a week, Bone twice a week, liver chunks twice a week, chicken hearts twice a week, veg 3 times a week and sweet potatoes twice a week. I will alternate different meals each day but sticking to these guidelines and having them with either chicken mince or beef mince or sometimes with half and half of each.

Is this ok or is there anything that I should be adding or anything that I should be increasing?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice