Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Raw Feeding: everything you need to know!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by katiefranke, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I’m sorry to hear your predicament and can’t offer much help but didn’t want to read and run. I fed raw successfully for a while. There’s was always a daily pooh sometimes a little hard and I reduced bone content to resolve.
    What raw are you feeding? If it’s pre-made, could there be a small ingredient upsetting things?
    Nature’s Menu make pure meat blocks. You add your own bits to make a complete meal. That may be an option.

Have the vets done a thorough check? Do they know she had problems with Royal Canine?
    Perhaps another visit to be certain it’s allergies?

It would be a good idea copy this to the Dog Health and Nutrition main section or request a mod move it. More people will see it there to help you.

Hope your little girl feels better soon.

2. Samibruno

Samibruno PetForums Junior

D1CF539E-1DD9-42FC-9ABC-D32D90B02FF8.jpeg
    I’m sorry to hear that. I can relate to the allergies. It’s hard work!!
    What raw are you feeding? And how much bone per day. Constipation from raw is normally down to an uneven balance in foods. It should be 80% meat 10% offal 10% bone. I’m lucky because my raw food supplier does made up foods with the correct balance.
    Have a look at the raw food poster I’ve attached. It really helped me when I started out. Raw food poo’s tell you everything! :)

3. All

All PetForums Newbie

The problem we have is that she has so many allergies, the only meats she can eat are beef, pork and venison. She is borderline with salmon and rabbit so we are slowly introducing them. All other meats tested she was allergic to.

Also the bones from cows, pigs and dear are way to big to give her (especially as she's never had bones in her life) hence why we are going to introduce rabbit (smaller bones).

At the moment as she's only on week 3 of full raw diet she's getting 80% beef 10% pork and 10% apple or carrot. With yoghurt rotated in every few days.

Our vet adviced this way. Do you think it best to ignore them and just introduce liver and offal now?

4. Samibruno

Samibruno PetForums Junior

I would certainly introduce offal purely because that really helps the bowels (to much offal can cause the runs though) but only five the smallest amounts, especially when introducing it. I would advise on a thumb nail portion of liver and the same for kidney.
    My shar pei has awful allergies and has blisters on his skin. I put 1/2 tea spoon of coconut oil into his morning meal along with 1/2 tea spoon of tumeric. On his evening meal I give him 1 tea spoon of kefir (probiotic yoghurt). Read up on them. It’s really helped my boy. Along with a raw egg every 3 days.
    Regarding bone - I don’t give my dog big bones purely because he’s never interested in them. Instead I give him - chicken/duck feet, sprats, ribs, chicken wings/thighs. I find him a lot better on those.

5. All

All PetForums Newbie

My dog can't eat any fish bar salmon. And can't eat any poultry or game birds (according to he allergy tests) so chicken is out of the question. Rabbit may be OK.so may try some rabbit bone.

6. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

Hi there.I am new to this forum amd need some advice,I have had my new ebt puppy for a week,when he came to me he was fed beef,chicken and tripe.he is eating every bit of his food,but is having trouble going to the loo,Ihave fed raw for 15 years so ham not new to feeding raw,i have tried upping the meat content by adding more muscle meat and liver ,yesterday I addes natures menu veg and fruit blend but he is still having a hard time of going to the loo.he drinks very small amounts of water.despit this problem he is happy and playful,any advice would be appreciated

7. TennoAkita

TennoAkita PetForums Member

Hey all,

Similar to the picture above, is there one that lays out all the bones we can and can’t feed our dogs?

I’ve been giving Aya raw chicken leg pieces and some raw fish eg bass, sardines(not tinned). But want to move her on to other meat.

This website: https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/recreational-bones-for-dogs/

Says weight bearing is on (it does mention the risks later on though).

I thought weight bearing was out. I have a lamb leg that was given to me by a butcher for free for Aya. Can I give it?

What are marrow bones? I’ve read they can eat them. Neck top of various animals including beef!

I need a list of each animals bones with a yes or no basically lol.

8. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

This might help, scroll down for the yeses and nos:
    https://healthypets.mercola.com/sit...ll-your-dog-find-out-which-ones-are-safe.aspx

Here's another you might find useful

https://perfectlyrawsome.com/raw-feeding-classifications/safe-edible-raw-meaty-bone-guide/

9. TennoAkita

10. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

11. TennoAkita

Does yours devour the whole bone or do you take it away at some point?

12. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

Eat all the bone

13. lee smithurst

lee smithurst PetForums Newbie

iv recently got a 3 year old male staff, that has been on a block of chicken and tripe a day, then kibble to nibble on through the day(kept his existing diet). after reading through this thread and abit online, I see the kibble isn't really necessary if there getting enough raw?

but iv also got a 6 year old staff that im wanting to move onto raw also, for convenience feeding the blocks of meat is great, but also after reading more I realise it isn't just about the meat?

is feeding just blocks of meat okay? or is the balance of bone etc what make the raw diet so special?

14. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

It depends if the blocks of meat your feeding has bone added a lot of them do

15. lee smithurst

good point ill ask next time i fetch it, its bulmers i think

16. lee smithurst

looking online, it says it has, so does that mean its okay? can i sack the kibble off?

17. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

Yes no need for kibble,the rule of thumb is 10% of puppys weight should be fed and 2-3% of adults body weight should be fed,my dogs have a great body condition but I need to feed more than is recommended to keep them looking good,Sally is 26kg if I fed her 2% of body weight she would be having 520g per day.To keep her looking good I feed her 454g in morning and about 400-450g at night but all 3 get loads of off lead runs this may have something to do with them all needing higher food amounts:)

18. lee smithurst

okay, thankyou

the blocks are around 400-450g, and hes 27kg so thats okay twice a day, mine also gets lots of running!

would you say to vary the meat? or is sticking to one okay?

19. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

I would start with one meat type as long as they are okay with it then introduce another and so on,if there is no offal added to the blocks you can add small amounts of liver to start with and increasing to about 10% of their meal

20. lee smithurst

maybe a silly question but how would you work out its 10%?

400g block with 40g liver?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice