Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Raw Feeding: everything you need to know!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by katiefranke, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

There are different schools of thought re veg and raw fed dogs. Some feel it's unnecessary. My little one couldn't tolerate a lot. Natures Menu complete blocks came out in piles of veg.
    She was fine with their Just meat range and added offal. She also had Natural Instinct which is a complete raw with v little veg. Nutriment is also an option.(there are lots more)
    I personally wouldn't be concerned with no veg.

2. sesmo

sesmo PetForums Senior

Brilliant, thank you very much. Sometimes feel like he's a naughty child who won't eat his greens :)

3. newbielou

newbielou PetForums Newbie

Hi a bit of a long rambling post coming up from me.
    I have a cockapoo that looks like a spaniel, accidental litter between 2 cockapoos, I went to visiti and the 'breeder' told me no one would want this pup cos theres no poodle in her. That cemented it she was coming home with me. I kept her on Royal Canin that the breeder had her on for a couple of months but she was always a fussy eater andnever seemed to thrive.
    When we was at the vets for a health check I mentioned the food and the vet she wasnt underweight but she really shouldnt lose any more. Back then I asked the vet what he thought to trying raw feeding and he said absolutely not for small dogs that raw feeding was irresponsible. I was disapointed after reading up about raw I was eager to try but nervous of doing anything that could hurt my pup I followed the vets advice. Fast forward 18 months and my dog has tried a variety of dry foods wet foods, trays, grain free everything you could mention and has always been indifferent towards her food.
    However the raw chicken wing that she has had as a treat half a dozen times a year has been greated with enthusiasm.
    I went back to the vet and got him to run blood tests as my dog had lost more weight he didnt seem too worried just told me to give her treats that are high in fat to help her put the weight on however this had the unfortunate reaction of explosives from the other end and pup lost even more weight.
    Over the last 3 weeks people have made comments about am I forgetting to feed my dog, which is just devastating. Ive tried almost everything I could to get my dog to eat and eat regularly.
    I bit the bullet and despite vet advice I bought a bag of chicken mince by natures menu to try her on for her first few days meals. She wolfed it down. Seeing my pup eagerly sat waiting for her meal wagging her tail was the best feeling. After a few days of this I went to my local raw feed supplier which is half hour drive away, they are are supplied by DAF. I bought her a couple of boxes of chicken mince, some necks, wings and a bag of tripe for when shes settled with the chicken.
    Well in 2 weeks my dog has put on almost 1 1/2 lb shes calmer more settled theres no diarrhoea and she eats every meal as soon as shes offered it.
    I wish i'd done this when I first wanted to my dog is still on the scrawny side but shes putting on weight gradually and onc she reaches a healthy size ill cut back on portion sizes slightly.
    I just wanted to say thank you, I read this thread from beginning to end a couple of months ago and it gave me the courage to try raw for my dog and shes never been happier or healthier.
    Tizzy says thank you to.

4. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

@newbielou : You may be interested in http://rawfoodvets.com/vets/ You may be able to find a vet near you which supports raw feeding. Sometimes you get vets who blame every illness once they learn you are raw feeding on the diet. You may also find blood test results are slightly different when raw feeding.

5. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

Sorry for the stupid question but I've just bought chicken wings from the butcher to give to Ty as his teeth are not good! Do I take the skin off and get rid of it? Or can he have it seperately?

6. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Feed the wing intact with skin and meat. However, bone-in meals will not correct current dental problems. It is usually recommended that you have any dental problems taken care of BEFORE feeding bone-in meals for prevention. If Ty has dental problems bone could cause him a lot of discomfort.

Have his dental done, then initiate the bone-in meals.

7. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Yep, I have one of those.

8. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

He's had his teeth done. But the rest of them are not very clean so I'm trying to get things that will make them better rather than worse. And he's too old to try a toothbrush. He won't let me near his lips.

9. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

When was the dental done? Bone in meals will help prevent further build up of plaque and tartar but will not get rid of existing problems.

10. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

Last Autumn, I think. His ex-mom used to feed him a lot of human food, including junk. I've stopped doing that and I'm trying to get his teeth cleaner without freaking him out by touching his mouth.

11. lizajohn2014

lizajohn2014 PetForums Newbie

I am continuously giving these foods for my dog

Muscle meat.

Bones.

Organ meats such as livers and kidneys

Raw eggs.

Are these enough for health

12. Jayne and sammy senorita

Jayne and sammy senorita Jayne, sammy and connie

Hello new here so looking through threads. I give sammy a combo of raw and dried (James wellbeloved) I get the frozen nuggets of raw purely for convenience and she is thriving. She was funny with her food when first came to us icky poos etc possibly nerves and settling in. So I tried raw it seemed to make sense that was what she was used to (when she escaped from the kill shelter in spain for 3 weeks.)

13. ZiggyB

ZiggyB PetForums Senior

Great thread! I've recently started Ziggy on a raw diet after reading this, I wanted to for a while but thought it a bit complicated. After reading this, everything you need to know in one place! It's been an easy transition. He's loving his new food, at first he'd carry it all the way out to the garden to enjoy it alone! Now he just digs in. I've found it is a bit more expensive than dry feeding but a lot cheaper that wet food, but he's enjoying it better than any other food so that's a plus. And it's natural! Thank you :)

14. Newfy45

Newfy45 PetForums Newbie

Your info is very useful as I have 75kg Newfoundland with skin allergy and thinking of starting him on raw diet. I'm new to the forum and have been in so many sites looking at how to begin. I do get confused with the ratio in regards to how much meat, offal and so on. My boy has been on kibble since a pup but I have heard good stuff about raw feeding. Even my vet said give it a go

15. victoria171168

victoria171168 PetForums Senior

Hi we have two Newfs start off with boned minces and it does get easier.we also add veg though one of ours is now on cytopoint injections for her allergies

16. PooBearsMum

PooBearsMum PetForums Newbie

Hi All, I’m new to this site & have learnt so much from this thread & and taken so many notes, you all have such great advice!

We have an 11/12 month old Rottweiler puppy & feel that a raw/barf diet would be best for him! We recently went to a pet store & purchased him natural treats such as sprats & cow/pig throats etc which he really loved & we noticed how shiny his coat was too! His normal food seems to be so coloured and unnatural :( so we want to push forward on a more natural diet for him!

I think I’m clear on most of the advice, however I’m unsure on the quantity :(. Do I feed him 2 or 3% of body weight? He is 11/12 months & currently 46/47 kg?

Many thanks, Claire

17. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

As hes young start off with 3% - and go from there. If you notice hes gaining weight, reduce the amount, if you notice he is losing, up it. The 2-3% is just a guide, mine eats under 2% to maintain.

3% of 46.5kg would be 1395g per day, or 1.395kg

PooBearsMum likes this.
  18. PooBearsMum

PooBearsMum PetForums Newbie

Thanks so much...will be popping to our local butchers tomorrow :)

19. Samibruno

Samibruno PetForums Junior

Hey, Love this post!!

It is great to see so many on board with raw feeding. With having a Shar Pei - raw is the only foods he can have without suffering from allergies.

I buy mine from my local raw-feeding pet shop and they have started doing 80/10/10 - so it has the right amount of meat, bone and offal in!! so much easier when i am a full time working mother of a 5 year old. I just add extras to it, (egg, fruit, vegetables, fish based foods). I have also started adding 1/2 tsp of tumeric and 1 tsp of kefir yoghurt to his morning meal and 1 tsp of coconut oil to his evening meal! Makes such a difference.

:)

20. All

All PetForums Newbie

Hi My dog suffers massively from allergies and we have put her on a raw diet (only foods she can eat) But after a slow transition and now 3 weeks on raw she is still very constipated and when she does go (about once every 4 days) she's has terrible diarrhea. Is this normal and should I continue.

The problem I have is that we have tried vet prescribed hypoallergenic food from Royal canin and this gave her terrible sickness and stomach aches that did not subside. We then tried her on home cooked food and she had similar problems to what we are having now.

There Is no commercial food she can eat and the custom food companies like tails can not make us a food out of the limited ingredients she can eat.

We are in a very tough spot and don't really know where to go if the raw diet won't work.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice