Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Raw Feeding: everything you need to know!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by katiefranke, Jul 11, 2010.

1. spiritofcouse

spiritofcouse PetForums Newbie

Hi I have allot of Acana kibble left which I dont wish to waste.can I still feed kibble and add raw to it

2. MiffyMoo

MiffyMoo PetForums VIP

No reason why not. I do, as mine won't eat all raw

3. spiritofcouse

spiritofcouse PetForums Newbie

Pk can share with me how you do it,frequency and what you feed.

4. MiffyMoo

MiffyMoo PetForums VIP

I feed as I normally would, so 2 meals a day, 1 in the morning and 1 in the evening. Is your dog just on kibble at the moment? If so, start slowly adding the raw, so maybe add 10% on the first day, whilst taking the kibble down by 10% and so on

5. NexivRed

NexivRed PetForums Senior

What sort of price per kilo overall are people paying for their raw food then. Seems the cheapest I'm finding is £2.50-£3.00.

6. MiffyMoo

MiffyMoo PetForums VIP

Is that pre-made mince? It really depends; I think the cheapest that I found was Kiezebrink, but their minces are a bit too rich for my guys. Don't forget to add in delivery charges, if you're not buying locally

7. NexivRed

NexivRed PetForums Senior

I just mean in general whether it's online, supermarket, local butchers or a mixture of them all. I'm trying to price up for a 70kg dog and want to try and keep it under £100 a month.

8. MiffyMoo

MiffyMoo PetForums VIP

I buy my pre-made minces online. Unfortunately I don't know how much it will cost if you do DIY, as mine won't eat anything that looks remotely like it used to when it was alive

9. Chrisheathcote

Chrisheathcote PetForums Member

I get my minces from Bulmers which is typically between £1.20 & £2 dependant in what we get. From the butcher we where paying about 2.50 for pre mixed bags of bone, offal and chunks. Only changed because we were getting less and less chunks in the bags. We now use mince, tripe chunks (£1.50 kg) and bones vary between £1.50 to £3 per kg

10. BlueJay

BlueJay Pee on it and walk away

I get our minces from DAF, their prices seem reasonable and it's free delivery to certain areas.
    A nice selection of different meats too.

E.g.
    50lbs of tripe for £33.50
    Turkey, chicken, duck, veal, rabbit, venison, heart, white fish, salmon, trout, pork, beef etc

11. Nicole652

Nicole652 PetForums Newbie

Hi all I am a newbie here with a lovely springer spaniel boy who I adore!
    I have heard others recommending the raw food diet and wandered if you have any tips?
    I've heard that you should also include vegetables but I am unsure if these should be raw or cooked?
    I have started the diet today but intend to do it in a half way sort of way.
    I plan to give my boy scrambled egg for breakfast or occassionally some fish and then raw meat for his dinner of an evening.
    However the conflicting information means I am struggling to find the exact right amount of protein and veg he needs for a balanced and reasonably healthy diet.
    Any help please? X

12. Bigdogswinmyheart

Bigdogswinmyheart PetForums Member

I've changed our 15 month old Anatolian cross (small amounts of Saint Bernard, Kuvazs and Labrador Retriever in her), who is 63kg to Raw feed. She has a combination of; chicken wings, chicken breast (skin and bone on), beef, lamb, raw fish, kidney, heart (a combination of 3 of these per day). With 3 different vegies and fruit a day (curly Kale, carrots, sweet pototo (grated), blueberrys, strawberrys, apples, kiwi), and an agg twice a week. Am I missing something for her coat? She is totally blowing her undercoat just on her hips to the point she has bald patches (but her guard hair is still there), but the vet says she is totally healthy has no paracites and has no idea why, am I missing something?
    I will also point out she is not chewing at herself., and it fell out while brushing her on the front of the boney bit of her hips (both sides)

#1772 Bigdogswinmyheart, Dec 17, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  13. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

Any liver? Most people include up to 5% liver as it contains many essential nutrients easily accessible. Can't see it would be the cause for balding but something I personally would include in the diet.

#1773 Goblin, Jan 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
    Bigdogswinmyheart likes this.
  14. Bigdogswinmyheart

Bigdogswinmyheart PetForums Member

yes, turns out it's probably just blowing the coat combined with puppy to adolescent coat :) Vet said she's perfect if not a little silly looking 1/2 nude in winter lol.

Goblin likes this.
  15. arcamenal

arcamenal PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone,

After doing a lot of research I think I'd like to feed my new puppy a raw diet. However as a vegetarian myself I'm a bit apprehensive! I was thinking about buying from wolftucker or nutriment.

Does anyone have any opinions on these?

Will my new puppy be upset by the new food? I know it can be simpler to change a puppy to a raw diet compared with an older dog, but is it better to wait until the puppy has settled in with me and has grown a bit?

Thank you.

16. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

Hi, I've been feeding my GSD raw for a while now and I have been giving her mostly chicken, lamb or tripe with a bit of offal, bone and veg. I would like to introduce fish and gather that mackerel and salmon are good choices. I just wanted to check though, are fish bones ok for the dog to eat? Also, I'm assuming I feed the fish raw? Sorry if these are stupid questions, but I just want to make sure. I know this question has probably already been answered on here, but with the number of replies I didn't really want to sift through everything!

17. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

Whole fish should not be a problem. We've fed them before. However for one of our dogs, it did cause loose stools. Tend not to be able to get whole fish easily here.

Joan Loves Dogs likes this.
  18. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

Thank you

19. Joan Loves Dogs

Joan Loves Dogs PetForums Newbie

Thank you for the help! Exactly what I needed to know.

20. sesmo

sesmo PetForums Senior

A bit of help please. I've just transitioned Obie totally on to raw. He's never been a big fan of processed food, you can put his bowl down and he'll have a sniff, mooch off then come back to it later. He's a healthy weight and has plenty of energy. I started with nature's menu minces but have been adding more raw beef chunks and chicken to his diet. This week he had his first chicken wing and totally loved it. Obviously I kept an eye on him to make sure he didn't gulp big bits down but he's had a couple now and chewed them up nicely. Helps that he doesn't weigh quite 5kgs so they are perfectly sized for him. Now that he's had a taste of bones and fresh raw meat he's totally off vegetables! Even the Nature's Menu tripe chunks with veg which were his addiction.

What veg do dogs tend to go for? I've tried whole and grated carrot, sweet potato (cooked), peas and green beans. He's turned his nose up at everything! Think he's hoping for another wing :)

Many thanks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice